18 months later, how do you feel about the Switch's power compared to Wii U's?

That's what I think too.
But what would you think of that :
https://www.resetera.com/posts/13334305/

Meaning, would you agree, more or less, or not, more or less too ?
There's no doubt in my mind the Switch is going to get left out in the cold with all the more graphically intense third party titles. It's expected. In Japan with a capable internet, I'm curious how well the streaming service is being received in regards to Resident Evil 7 and the upcoming Assassin's Creed. It's really too bad the nets infrastructure doesn't seem capable world wide or I think we'd see a lot more devs go for that option. I'm probably just really used to Nintendo getting the short end of the stick in recent years and doing without the big third party support . It probably doesn't feel great to be a Nintendo only owner and want to play the big AAA stuff. Of course, at that point I believe a person would end up getting a more graphically capable system if they really wanted those games. I'm thankful that a lot of great games come out in today's market that are on the indie side of things . That really pads out the Switches library with fantastic titles.

I use it primarily as a handheld device, so for that, it's awesome. Having said that, I'd never buy Doom, Wolfenstein 2 or any other AAA 3rd party title for it at full price when I can have a far better version of it at the same (or lower) price on the PS4.

The Switch is my 1st party and indie machine, pretty much.

As a handheld, compared to the Wii U it's pretty nice. It's pretty much a Wii U+ in that mode after all. Home console is decent to me, but I guess that's gonna be a subjective thing given it is quite a bit behind the best you can get on Xbox One and PS4. I'm waiting to see what Nintendo will do with their mid-gen refresh; I'm expecting a CPU improvement but hopefully the GPU also gets upgraded so we can reach docked fidelity in handheld mode.

Even more impressive to me, is that it hit so much out of the gate as the first HD handheld period.
I'd say the first mainstream for sure. But handhelds with HD screens have been a thing since at least 2013 with the Nvidia Shield Portable.

Too many games can't hit 720p60
A lot of them do, and a great looking games too (Super Mario Odyssey, MK8, Fifa, Splatoon 2).
lets be honest though, 60fps was never a standard in console games. most of games on my PS4 are 1080/30fps with some exceptions. it was never a priority for console developers for most titles.
we are only having this option now because PS4 Pro/XboxOne X are designed to output games at a higher resolution than 1080p. and it is not really realistic to have this expectation from a 6-inch tablet.

As a portable, it's incredible. As a home console, it is borderline rubbish outside of first party games.
This is exactly how I feel.

I didn’t play much of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but honestly, Xenoblade Chronicles X (on the Wii U) looks better than the former game and doesn’t have a subpar resolution that makes everything in the distance looks like it is in blur-o-vision.

I even prefer how Super Mario 3D World looks over most of the levels/worlds in Odyssey.

Splatoon 2 definitely looks sharper and more vibrant than the original though, that’s for sure.

There's no doubt in my mind the Switch is going to get left out in the cold with all the more graphically intense third party titles. It's expected. In Japan with a capable internet, I'm curious how well the streaming service is being received in regards to Resident Evil 7 and the upcoming Assassin's Creed. It's really too bad the nets infrastructure doesn't seem capable world wide or I think we'd see a lot more devs go for that option. I'm probably just really used to Nintendo getting the short end of the stick in recent years and doing without the big third party support . It probably doesn't feel great to be a Nintendo only owner and want to play the big AAA stuff. Of course, at that point I believe a person would end up getting a more graphically capable system if they really wanted those games. I'm thankful that a lot of great games come out in today's market that are on the indie side of things . That really pads out the Switches library with fantastic titles.
I'm personaly not into AAA but my wife loves HP and only plays on handheld (tablets and such), so it's more about this specific game.

I'm personaly not into AAA but my wife loves HP and only plays on handheld (tablets and such), so it's more about this specific game.
There's no way that's coming to Switch, it looks to good imo. That destructibility in it is impressive tech. The Harry Potter fans are going to need/want to play this on something high end haha

A lot of them do, and a great looking games too (Super Mario Odyssey, MK8, Fifa, Splatoon 2).
lets be honest though, 60fps was never a standard in console games. most of games on my PS4 are 1080/30fps with some exceptions. it was never a priority for console developers for most titles.
we are only having this option now because PS4 Pro/XboxOne X are designed to output games at a higher resolution than 1080p. and it is not really realistic to have this expectation from a 6-inch tablet.
You're right (though I would argue some of the concessions Mario Odyssey makes to hit target res/fps are also disappointing at times), that's why I added in 720p30 as well. It's honestly less about the framerate to me and more being in native res in portable mode to be perfectly honest. Games like XC2 and Rocket League come out looking the way they do in portable (granted I hear RL has made big strides in the almost year it's been out) and it's just.. a shame, to put it delicately.

I'm a little bit disappointed, but not with the specs, more with what the Switch actually is. It's isn't really a portable device. Wearing it around requires additional baggage, be it a backpack or something else. Moreover, it isn't a good home console, since it's just too weak compared to the competition, which disqualifies it from being a multiplat console.
I wish they'd have released something proper, either a solid handheld that you could fit in the pocket of your pants, or a home console that is powerful enough to run multiplat games.
I would love to see a portable Switch
and would immediately buy one.

My favorite Nintendo system since GameCube. I think the power it’s doing now is pretty impressive from the Wii U. Hoping they make a stronger switch within the next 2 to 3 years.

You're right (though I would argue some of the concessions Mario Odyssey makes to hit target res/fps are also disappointing at times), that's why I added in 720p30 as well. It's honestly less about the framerate to me and more being in native res in portable mode to be perfectly honest. Games like XC2 and Rocket League come out looking the way they do (granted I hear RL has made big strides in the almost year it's been out) and it's just.. a shame, to put it delicately.
XB2 is a current gen game, through and through. It uses all the modern rendering techniques out there. What hurts it is actually the low budget, ugly artstyle and terrible sharpening filter, but just without the latter it wouldn't look bad. Especially for what it is.
As for Rocket League, it runs at a solid 720p60 in portable mode for the most part, it looks very clean on the small screen.

Never had a problem with the wiiu and its power. The switch is fine also.
Should have been first post.

Also there was nothing bizarre about WiiU's computing power. Wii already was a lower powered machine. It allows for smaller consoles, with way lower power consumption, which in turn allows for minimal cooling systems.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but the WiiU is actually a very good piece of hardware.

Same could be said for Switch if it weren't for the abysmal battery life.

You're going to have eventually splurge on a bday/holiday/anniversary gift :p

Maybe one day Nintendo will return to top of line hardware. It's not an impossibility even if it's been unlikely since the Wiis success.
I will never ever get her a home console.
But to come back on that "high end" note.
PS4/Xbox1 are most certainly not "high end".
But maybe did you say that because you think the game is full next gen game ? (which then, won't be high end by the time it releases, as home consoles are never high end for a long time if at all)

The Wii should have supported 720p, had a dual core CPU and been at least twice as powerful as it was, with 256MB of DDR3 onboard next to the 35MB T1SRAM. Release for $299 holiday 2006 with Wii Sports.

3DS should have used a Tegra 3 chip, release holiday 2011, have a 360p display (3DS has a 240p display currently) it should have dropped the 3D and just been a pure successor to the DS. With a launch price of $199.

Nintendo should have rode the Wii and 3DS until Holiday 2016, they could have revealed the NX in the same way, but they should have put the Tegra X2 inside of it. Launch it with Zelda in November 2016, Xenoblade X in December, Paper Mario Color Splash in early January, Pokken in February, Star Fox Zero in March 2017 (obviously no 2 screen gimmick), In september 2017 instead of Pokken deluxe, they could release Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Metroid: Samus Returns (on both Switch and 3DS), everything else would play out like it has. W101 could have released on the more powerful Wii listed above, lots of games the Wii missed would have come to the system, but most importantly, as a Wii U owner, I wouldn't have had to waste my time.

The Wii U was a mistake, it was Nintendo diving into a gimmick, looking for inspiration and expecting the 3DS to be successful out of the gate, instead Nintendo had to shift resources from Wii U first year software, to boost 3DS in late 2012 and throughout 2013, this meant that Wii U had the worst software lineup Nintendo has ever had for the majority of the first year, only ending with Super Mario 3D World, and from that point on, while titles came, the underline OS and hardware was rushed and of unusually bad quality.

Nintendo merged their hardware divisions right after the launch of the Wii U, but the reality is that, the handheld division absorbed the console division and they moved forward with the Switch, this meant that further support for the Wii U was never coming, OS updates were there after this period, not to improve the experience, but to lock out vulnerabilities, the truth is, the Wii U was an attempt to coast through a generation, and when it wasn't working, they very quickly dropped the Wii U early for it's successor, and with it came some hardware compromises, but had they of simply skipped the Wii U generation, the Switch could have been a slightly higher PPU, allowing for a parity with current gen base consoles, that would have seen it as a much clearer shift in the industry to a new form factor.

The Switch is, a shift to something new, a better device and all the tech existed in 2016 to give it a forward compatibility that would never see the device outdated, thanks to a USB-C port that could absolutely have supported an eGPU, easier ports from XB1/PS4 and even a less prone to manufacturing defects that has appeared on the Switch. Having said that, what Nintendo did give us with the Switch is the most forward thinking gaming device that has ever hit store shelves, and they still could easily pull off a shift in the industry, thanks to the demand of this new form factor.

Everyone is on borrowed time though, Smart Phones with some sort of dock or wireless HDMI technology, will outdate the console form factor, heck if Samsung announced a Galaxy Gaming dock, that houses a RTX 2080 for $400, alongside the PS5 and XBnext, the reality is that Samsung could easily see the same level of multiplatform support as Sony or Microsoft, while offering a portable experience with some sort of $20 gaming grip for their galaxy phones, that they could even bundle with such a device.

I will never ever get her a home console.
But to come back on that "high end" note.
PS4/Xbox1 are most certainly not "high end".
But maybe did you say that because you think the game is full next gen game ?
No I think that game is going to be PS4/Xb1. Assuming you own one of those already at least? If not, by the time that game comes out they'll be cheaper. My gut reaction to seeing that leaked trailer was that it's going to be shown off as a reveal at either the Game Awards in December or the upcoming Xbox event. It looked like it was well put together already, even though it's unfinished but those are the next big events to reveal something like that. Since it's that far along and if it gets revealed that soon , it'd be a current gen game. Even so, if it's revealed then it'll probably be a "winter 2019" release. Just predictions of course .

No I think that game is going to be PS4/Xb1. Assuming you own one of those already at least? If not, by the time that game comes out they'll be cheaper. My gut reaction to seeing that leaked trailer was that it's going to be shown off as a reveal at either the Game Awards in December or the upcoming Xbox event. It looked like it was well put together already, even though it's unfinished but those are the next big events to reveal something like that . And if it is revealed then, it'll probably be a "winter 2019" release. Just predictions of course .
I don't have any of both. But even if I did, my wife wouldn't play on these. Since last gen I didn't feel like I needed to own more than 1 console and 1 portable. Since the Switch does both, I don't even need more than one now ha ha. And the games I like the most are released on it (RPG among other genres).
I barely was able to make her go through one home console game, but only because I was playing and she was rougly following story scenes basically lol.

Worst case scenario I'll get her Lego HP : P.

The Switch is any more powerful, relative to other consoles, than the Wii U was. Outside of the portability of the Switch i see little difference. They are both sub-par home consoles with inadequate power.

The fact that cartridge size was pointed several times as the number one limiting factor for 3rd party games (most likely ambitious ones, since they are data heavy) speaks volumes about the power of the Switch; and it's also infuriating that the console may be passed over such a "petty" detail. I hope Nintendo will find a solution for that.

I don't have any of both. But even if I did, my wife wouldn't play on these.
I barely was able to make her go through one home console game, but only because I was playing and she was rougly following story scenes basically lol.
Haha! Maybe if she really loves what she sees , she'll be more inclined to want and try and play a more robust and intricate video game. One of my friends who doesn't game besides tablet/mobile stuff really wanted to try Spiderman since they're a fan. She doesn't own a PS4 but I let her play on mine. I don't expect her to ever get through the entire thing however it at least got her to play a game of that caliber.

Haha! Maybe if she really loves what she sees , she'll be more inclined to want and try and play a more robust and intricate video game. One of my friends who doesn't game besides tablet/mobile stuff really wanted to try Spiderman since they're a fan. She doesn't own a PS4 but I let her play on mine. I don't expect her to ever get through the entire thing however it at least got her to play a game of that caliber.
If ever I'll wait for my brother to be tired of his (it's getting closer...) and I'll borrow it.
Even for me, beside trying Last Guardian and Gravity Daze 2, there's nothing I really want.
I'm not into graphics especially and even less into realistic ones so I'm not the target at all.

I wish it didn't feel so prominent as a criteria sometimes.

It's pretty much my favourite home console since the N64. The Nintendo scale of stupid decisions to brilliant ones tipped in the right direction again over the last few years. They are providing me with games I love and a lot of them too! Indie games aside, it's pretty much a 1st party console for me so far. I've seen a fair share of games, but I've only kept the Nintendo ones so far.

So for me - there's enough power in this little tablet. I'd say I use it 60 portable (single player)/40 home console (local multiplayer) and almost everything I want to play looks 'good enough'. Sure, it could be better, but most of Nintendo's stuff is 60 FPS and 1080/720p or at least close enough. I don't have a 4K TV (yet), so 1080p is fine for me. It's gonna be really interesting around late 2019/2020 though, when the new consoles hit and there's a jump in quality again. I don't believe most publishers will support "3,5 generations" of consoles with their ports, so I see the Switch loosing a lot of momentum at that time. At the same time, we could see the new Zelda and Mario titles for the Switch and those will most likely look spectacular, tech be damned.

If ever I'll wait for my brother to be tired of his (it's getting closer...) and I'll borrow it.
Even for me, beside trying Last Guardian and Gravity Daze 2, there's nothing I really want.
I'm not into graphics especially and even less into realistic ones so I'm not the target at all.

I wish it didn't feel so prominent as a criteria sometimes.
That'd be cool if you could just borrow it to play certain games. Awesome.

As time goes on more and more games will obviously get further away from what the Switch graphics are capable of. However, developers can't ignore the success of the Switch and they'll want their software on there too. It's really a shame the streaming service in Japan doesn't look like it'll ever come world wide. That would open up a lot more options as to the viability of the Switch down the road.

I agree that it's probably easier to develop on Switch and that Wii U missing compatibility with popular engines like Unreal was a real downer but on the other side I personally had no problem with Wii U's power. Games like Pikmin 3 or Xenoblade Chronicles X for first parties and Deus Ex and Need for Speed: Most Wanted for third parties showed that the system was really capable.

That being said I am happy Nintendo went for a hybrid console rather than another home console. Fantastic idea.

As a past wii u owner (more like sufferer), I do love my switch. I don’t really think more power was possible at the time they were designing it at the price they chose. Maybe if they hadn’t opted for fancy joy cons... which I suppose I would have been ok with. That may have freed up some of the budget for more power? But i’m no expert and could be completely wrong.

There is part of me that will always want to see Nintendo first party titles running on a system comparable in power to the competitors though. Just to see what they would do with the extra juice. I have to imagine the world detail in their games would be insane. And as a side note, it’s still kind of a bummer to me that BoTW was shackled by needing to also run on Wii U. I really hope we get a switch exclusive 3D zelda before the end of the console’s life cycle.

Disheartened by how many subnative games have come out, even 1st party. It’s not Vita bad exactly but it’s way worse than I expected given it never happened before on Nintendo handhelds.

Ready for Mariko.

Handheld: 10/10, easily the best they've ever released. You mean to tell me for a mere $300 and a small sacrifice of 30 minutes worth of battery life I get a device far more capable than any version of the 3DS? Sign me the hell up

Home console: 4/10, still underpowered despite the much needed jump to more modern architecture; hilariously bad price/value ratio (you're forking over at least $400+ dollars to get the most out of its home console side that still doesn't match what competitiors offer); virtually useless dock

In short: Switch is easily the better hardware in comparison to the Wii U, but its not because its a better home console.

It's a powerful portable no doubt but it's a weak console/hd platform today. As long as you understand that this is a just a portable then it's great.

It has 2 major problems being a hybrid though, one a laughable battery life and as I said above it's a weak console. Playing Wolfenstein 2 with it was a horrible experience, a novel one at that though.

Nothing on Switch has graphically impressed me, honestly. It's probably the one generation where I feel the competition is really pulling ahead, and it's odd because it's not the weakest Nintendo console relative to competitors.

I mostly play indies and 2d games on it, so it's fine. However the screen quality makes everything that is also available on laptop or pads feel like a downgrade.

It's... not pretty, overall. It's the quintessential console that is about the games and games only.

Eh, for what it is, it's satisfactory, I suppose. The original Wii was a pretty difficult pill to swallow because GC games were already showing their age at the time of release, and Wii wasn't more than marginally better. But with gen 6 (that's the Xbox360, PS3, right?) we reached a point where stuff like low res textures and really bad aliasing were no longer major issues. Switch games aren't really the most high tech, but at the very least the games on it don't have to deal with the disgusting level of jaggies that we saw in Skyward Sword or the vaseline smeared grass of Twilight Princess.

Also this thread needs more Wii-U to Switch comparison pics because I can't really think of many Switch games that have blown me away visually.

to me it is. It feels barely more powerful than the WiiU which was expected since you know, portable. (it even is getting the same library of games and gets late ports lol)

Id recommend it tho which isnt something I would do with WiiU.
hardware specs and components are not opinions.

Since I couldn't care less about the portability aspect, as a "home" console, with those specs, is freaking expansive so no, not happy about it.

Also this thread needs more Wii-U to Switch comparison pics because I can't really think of many Switch games that have blown me away visually.
This is true, I remember Xenoblade X looking a lot better on Wii U than XB2 on Switch but again i'm playing that one portably and not a fan uneven artstyle of XB2.

I got both version of BotW and there isn't much difference to be honest. The system feels like WiiU+ but it's portable so that's neat

I never bought the Wii U, but I'm very pleased with the Switch considering what it is. It still boggles my mind how little power it draws - 9 watts in handheld WHAT?! It can't rival the graphics of a modern PC or the other consoles but the games look sufficiently pretty in 2018. Nintendo did everything right with the hardware, too bad they're so stubborn with the software side (i.e. eShop and online service).

hardware specs and components are not opinions.
maybe read.

im saying that to me the experience that I get from the Switch is just a suped up WiiU (with a better controller instead of the garbage that was the pad). Nothing special but expected when they chose to be portable.

feel bad for anyone who only has the Switch for a gaming device, its great for portable play, damn awful for a dedicated home console specifically if its your only choice.

(plus this thread is about how we feel about it, I feel its pretty lame unless you play it on the go which is what I do)

Tbh the Switch doesn't really feel like a big step up from the Wii U, it feels like a beefier but portable Wii U. Wish they went with the Tegra X2 even if it meant some delay. Games, even Nintendo's own Wii U ports being sub 1080p is annoying. I've wanted a more powerful Switch TV for the longest time cuz portability means nothing to me, I have an iPhone X and iPad for that.

I get that it's pseudo portable, but for me it really ought to have been more powerful, and the IQ and visuals of certain games leave a lot to be desired compared to other platforms. The shield tablet had an MSRP of $260 including the controller back in 2015, and whilst it used the previous gen version of the Tegra architecture (K1 vs the X1, or roughly 326.4 Gflops vs 512 Gflops stock), the jump in performance two years later coupled with a higher price doesn't seem sufficient to me.

I'd have preferred if the Switch launched with something more powerful or forward thinking (even if it meant launching a few months later), perhaps the X2, since other Nvidia products were implementing it back in 2017, and it is a smaller nm process compared to the X1, hence lends to more efficiency in higher performance per watt, and shouldn't have been an issue with regards to battery or cooling. I'd imagine Nintendo opting for the X1 was predominantly to keep costs down, and maintain higher margins in terms of profitability.
Basically this.