Amazon orders female led 'Wheel of Time' to series

RatskyWatsky

Community Resettler
The long-gestating TV show based on Robert Jordan's epic fantasy novels The Wheel of Time novels is officially a go at Amazon.

The streamer confirmed on Tuesday that it had ordered the one-hour action fantasy to series, with Sony Pictures TV co-producing and Rafe Judkins (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), who adapted the books for TV, serving as showrunner.
Set in a sprawling world where magic exists but can only be used by women, the story follows Moiraine, a member of the shadowy and influential all-female organization called the Aes Sedai as she embarks on a dangerous journey with five young men and women. Moiraine interest in these five lies in the fact she believes one of them might be the reincarnation of an incredibly powerful individual, whom prophecies say will either save humanity or destroy it.
Source

Making it “female led” is interesting cos of the 6 books I read I can’t say most of the women Jordan wrote were well written

Great news. The books are uneven, but there's a shitton of potential there. Can't wait to see the main cast.

Btw, get Blind Guardian to do the opening, please.

Last edited:
Moraine-led?
Okay, i'm interested.

And, for once, i'd like some butchering, please. Wheel of TIme has a fantastic setting and systems, but characters and story can definitely use some rework.

Making it “female led” is interesting cos of the 6 books I read I can’t say most of the women Jordan wrote were well written
How dare you! I for one welcome all the braid tugging, skirt adjusting and eyebrow furrowing.
/s
Jokes aside, I really hope they do a good job with this. Between this, the Witcher, the Lord of the Rings and the new GoT series, exciting time to be a fantasy fan!

I don't really see how WoT can be "lead" by one character given all the different POV in the books.

Heck even the actual main character of the books, Rand, fails to appear in the vast majority of chapters.

How dare you! I for one welcome all the braid tugging, skirt adjusting and eyebrow furrowing.
/s
Jokes aside, I really hope they do a good job with this. Between this, the Witcher, the Lord of the Rings and the new GoT series, exciting time to be a fantasy fan!
The screenwriter already confirmed there'll be least one good braid-tugging moment.

Great news. Good idea to ground the show with the female perspectives. Especially at the start, it’ll give the story a strong foundation and hopefully a successful “twist” to the genre so that we get more than one season.

Not by a long shot.

Boy, did Jordan muck that up. I swear I cringed out of book 3 or 4 due to it. Let alone having to deal with a lot of the strange behavior from some characters in scenes, that made my head spin.

It'll be interesting to see what Amazon's strategy for this will be in terms of production value and placement when they are going all in on that Middle Earth show(s).

As the only half-decently written female character, if you are going to pick one you'd have to pick Moiraine. To be honest, she's probably my favourite character in the whole series.

Which probably says a lot considering she's missing for about half of it!

Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this. Thinking about it, I would probably have preferred if they'd looked at a fresh story before the Breaking but you can't have everything I guess.

Oh boy I know a few people in real life who will be wailing and gnashing their teeth at this news. Big Wheel of Time fans, and also your garden variety "SJWs ruining muh geek stuff" tossers.

It'd make more sense to follow several protagonists ala Game of Thrones instead of focusing on just one. Being Moiraine-focused would severely limit the story. Then again, who knows how many liberties they're going to take. To be honest I don't really mind if they do, there's way too much fat in the books and some of it is better off never making it to the screen.

The screenwriter already confirmed there'll be least one good braid-tugging moment.
It better be one goddamn glorious braid-tugging then!

Thank god, love the series but man, Jordan didn't do that great of job writing female characters. I welcome them mucking up the source material.

I feel like this statement is a bit clumsily worded. I think they're using Moiraine as an anchoring point to focus on the way she moves the plot forward, but considering the characters of the series itself and the many (read: sometimes innumerable) perspectives I doubt we're going to see a series where she's the "protagonist" so to speak.