California, already had the strictest gun control laws in the nation, just passed a bunch more

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/01/politics/california-gun-laws-trnd/index.html
There were loud and sustained calls for more gun control legislation after the mass shooting earlier this year at a high school in Parkland, Florida.

A lot of those efforts failed -- but not in California.

Gov. Jerry Brown just signed several gun control bills in a state the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence says already had the strongest gun laws in the nation.
One law raises the age for buying a shotgun or rifle in California from 18 to 21. It's similar to a law signed by Florida Gov. Rick Scott after the February 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland left 17 people dead.
The law, which goes into effect January 1, 2019, carves out exceptions for hunters, police officers and members of the military.
Other gun measures signed into law last week by Brown will do the following:

-- Ban anyone convicted of certain domestic violence misdemeanors from owning a firearm for life.
-- Prevent people who have been hospitalized more than once in one year for mental health issues from owning a gun for life.
-- Require people applying for concealed gun permits to get at least eight hours of gun safety training.
-- Allow police to ask for a gun violence restraining order verbally when there's not time to make a written request.
-- Require all California law enforcement agencies to input information on lost or stolen guns into a state database within a week of the agency finding out the firearm was missing.
The National Rifle Association voiced its opposition to the new laws, specifically to the measure raising the minimum age for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun. The NRA filed suit against Florida after Scott signed that state's version of that law, and the gun-rights group said on one of its websites that it was exploring pursuing similar legal action against California, saying the law violates the Second Amendment.

-- Require all California law enforcement agencies to input information on lost or stolen guns into a state database within a week of the agency finding out the firearm was missing.

Its scary that a lot of these are just common sense laws... and this is what we can barely get done..

The National Rifle Association voiced its opposition to the new laws, specifically to the measure raising the minimum age for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun. The NRA filed suit against Florida after Scott signed that state's version of that law, and the gun-rights group said on one of its websites that it was exploring pursuing similar legal action against California, saying the law violates the Second Amendment.
Fuck the NRA to hell.

The NRA doesnt give a shot about the second amendment. They just do what gun manufacturers want them to. Gods forbid that teenagers cant buy guns in one state. I'm glad the NRA is in financial trouble.

As a gun owner and 2nd amendment supporter, these all sound totally sane and fair. I have no issue with any of them.
Same here. Been shooting since I was ten. I think these are pretty fair laws, especially the carry requirement. I personally conceal carry and the requirements are crazy lax in my neck of the woods.

Its scary that a lot of these are just common sense laws... and this is what we can barely get done..
This one is huge. This is a pipeline that illegal guns have to get back in the street and honestly then losing guns should have consequences if it ends up in a crime, like losing the ability to own due to their carelessness.

Same here. Been shooting since I was ten. I think these are pretty fair laws, especially the carry requirement. I personally conceal carry and the requirements are crazy lax in my neck of the woods.
I'm in Arizona literally no CC requirements. I still already took the courses before that law was passed.

I'm a gun owner, and for the most part, don't have an issue with California legislation in regards to screening, training, and penalties for those who have been convicted of domestic violence (both spouses and partners.) I don't care for CA's restrictions on actual firearms features, but I don't live there.

Also, fuck the NRA.

Still need to hike the standards for gun ownership (no significant debt or poor credit, no associating with any violent or extremist groups) but this hits some of the other big checkmarks, the domestic violence record and the mental health record (though I'd also add in if you've ever struggled with addiction).

One of the many reasons why I moved from California. Their terrible gun laws, only the privilidged being the most popular owners. Oh yeah, and of course, the criminals with no regard for any laws.

Still need to hike the standards for gun ownership (no significant debt or poor credit, no associating with any violent or extremist groups) but this hits some of the other big checkmarks, the domestic violence record and the mental health record (though I'd also add in if you've ever struggled with addiction).
That's why it should be called gun ownership reform or something similar instead of 'gun control', a phrase the NRA has successfully trained a lot of people to reflexively react to.

Most gun owners are for stuff like this because it keeps people from treating them like toys. Make the barrier of entry high enough and people just don't bother a lot of the time. See NFA items.