Community Spotlight: Toonami |SepOct18| I'm not scared of that knife or your tiny balls!!

I told myself to check out Gamers but never got around to it. Unless it's to put on someone while I'm on my exercise bike, I've been so bad lately about catching up with anime.

Well aside from when Jojo Part 5 airs, I'm totally keeping up with that. But I also noticed with each season, there's less & less that really jumps out at me unless I get some impressions about the first few episodes from people.

AoT would be an infinitely better show if the people in it didnt turn into titans. I think people liked the show because there was deadly consequences for making a mistake, and once the cast turned into titans, all of that tension dissapeared. Considering how much hype the show had, and the little amount of hype it has now in comparison, it reminds me a lot of SAO where the hype came from the idea and general art. Once the show existed and expounded on the idea, it lost all of the momentum

There's an interesting show in AoT in comparison to SAO, but it's completely different in scope and concept that the "original pitch" gave to us. I expected spiderman with swords fighting monsters, and instead it turned into political drama with hulks.

I know next to nothing about Yugioh past the first series, save for the fact that the ship of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's basically ended like this.

"Oh we have different dreams."
"Well we can't be together then!"
"Yep, bye!"

And there was much sadness.

At least Ash got a kiss at the end of XY.

*hears about Trials of Cold Steel hitting PS4* Oh right, one of those RPGs I hear nothing but praise for...*looks at RPG backlog*....& one I never got around to trying.

Also damn it, nothing worse than being so close to hitting a milestone on your diet (i'm 1.2 lbs short of 50 lbs lost) & just getting cravings for stuff you haven't eaten in such a long time, yet know you should stay away from.

I know next to nothing about Yugioh past the first series, save for the fact that the ship of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's basically ended like this.

"Oh we have different dreams."
"Well we can't be together then!"
"Yep, bye!"

And there was much sadness.

At least Ash got a kiss at the end of XY.
Yugioh is the king of ships not happening.

- Yugi never comes out and admits his feelings for Anzu
- Anzu doesn't do the same for Atem
- Mai and Joey never go anywhere
- Asuka doesn't confess to Judai in episode 162 (though there is the graduation letter so maybe future?)
- Chazz gets nothing (lol)
- Syrus loves a trading card
- Jack and Carly go nowhere, cause Carlys voice actress was a member of a cult
- Yusei and Aki actually both know they have feelings for each other but don't act on them
- Yuma and Tori is a one sided crush
- Zuzu is interested in basically a shonen protagonist who doesn't know about love.

Yugioh is the king of ships not happening.

- Yugi never comes out and admits his feelings for Anzu
- Anzu doesn't do the same for Atem
- Mai and Joey never go anywhere
- Asuka doesn't confess to Judai in episode 162 (though there is the graduation letter so maybe future?)
- Chazz gets nothing (lol)
- Syrus loves a trading card
- Jack and Carly go nowhere, cause Carlys voice actress was a member of a cult
- Yusei and Aki actually both know they have feelings for each other but don't act on them
- Yuma and Tori is a one sided crush
- Zuzu is interested in basically a shonen protagonist who doesn't know about love.

Geez, that uh...must have be awkward to talk about when the voice actors meet fans.

Carly wasen't the only thing effected, basically the entire Psycic plot line that was established and hinted to be a huge threat earlier was thrown out.

Aki herself has alot of history there, which explains why she got way less focus as 5Ds went on.

*hears about Trials of Cold Steel hitting PS4* Oh right, one of those RPGs I hear nothing but praise for...*looks at RPG backlog*....& one I never got around to trying.

Also damn it, nothing worse than being so close to hitting a milestone on your diet (i'm 1.2 lbs short of 50 lbs lost) & just getting cravings for stuff you haven't eaten in such a long time, yet know you should stay away from.
It's another better wait for GCN/Wii/3DS/Wii U/Switch title according to your friend.

AoT would be an infinitely better show if the people in it didnt turn into titans. I think people liked the show because there was deadly consequences for making a mistake, and once the cast turned into titans, all of that tension dissapeared. Considering how much hype the show had, and the little amount of hype it has now in comparison, it reminds me a lot of SAO where the hype came from the idea and general art. Once the show existed and expounded on the idea, it lost all of the momentum
How does one measure the show lacking hype now? It is just as watched now as it was then, and is on so many services day 1.Also many people transitioned to the manga, so perhaps only Shingeki communities are actively positing speculation and hype comments about episodes are left to the anime only minority.

Lastly its increasingly challenging for something that is many years older than newer hotness that is being animated, so of course HeroAca and other series would mask the Shingeki train. A coup d'tat arc is by nature less exciting than the content that was covered during HeroAca s3 for example.

I think the comparison to SAO doesnt make sense, as SAO basically did a genre change, ALfheim Online is significantly different than Sword Art Online is just as different as Mother's Rosario. Id imagine if ALO was actually what was animated first, then the series may not have found breakthrough success IMO.

Last edited:
AoT doesn't have anywhere the cultural reach it ised to have. When it came out, it was one of the most talked about shows, and now it generally has it's niche fanbase.

You compare it to MHA, but MHA has the same amount of episodes essentially, and yet, I see people constantly talk about it. It isn't really a niche show compared to AoT.

I think it's pretty clear why I compared it to SAO, if you actually read my post, you would see why I compared it.

I still don't comprehend why you guys watch yu gi oh still.

I still don’t understand why SAO gets such strong reactions.
This was easily the most hyped anime I've witnessed in the modern internet era. I think most people reacted so strongly due to the massive positive reaction it had.

I told myself to check out Gamers but never got around to it. Unless it's to put on someone while I'm on my exercise bike, I've been so bad lately about catching up with anime.
Gamers is pretty good. My only criticism is I think it peaks around episode 8. Though Aguri dropping truth bombs on DLC in the last episode was hilarious;

This was easily the most hyped anime I've witnessed in the modern internet era. I think most people reacted so strongly due to the massive positive reaction it had.
Oh, I see. I only watched after the massive backlash kicked in, which probably had the opposite effect on me.

Gamers is pretty good. My only criticism is I think it peaks around episode 8. Though Aguri dropping truth bombs on DLC in the last episode was hilarious;
I remember Bigkrev posting about it on Twitter, which I think is how I got interested. I also heard it was compared to Tsuredure Children in how it's a more "realistic" take on rom-com & how because it's a group of gamers, they have trouble separating it as "a goal" instead of "part of life that just happens"

Oh, I see. I only watched after the massive backlash kicked in, which probably had the opposite effect on me.
There was also the fact that Kotaku said, & I quote, we're not making this up, that it was THE SMARTEST ANIME IN YEARS.

I remember Bigkrev posting about it on Twitter, which I think is how I got interested. I also heard it was compared to Tsuredure Children in how it's a more "realistic" take on rom-com & how because it's a group of gamers, they have trouble separating it as "a goal" instead of "part of life that just happens"
I wouldn't really call it realistic. If anything, Gamers kind of takes the piss with the "Misunderstanding" trope that happens a lot in anime romcoms.

I wouldn't really call it realistic. If anything, Gamers kind of takes the piss with the "Misunderstanding" trope that happens a lot in anime romcoms.
Well, maybe "realistic" was the wrong word. More in that it tries to tackle the genre in a different way that makes it stand out among the crowd.

It's in my Crunchyroll queue, I just need to watch like 3 episodes at a time while on my exercise bike.

AoT doesn't have anywhere the cultural reach it ised to have. When it came out, it was one of the most talked about shows, and now it generally has it's niche fanbase.

You compare it to MHA, but MHA has the same amount of episodes essentially, and yet, I see people constantly talk about it. It isn't really a niche show compared to AoT.

I think it's pretty clear why I compared it to SAO, if you actually read my post, you would see why I compared it.
AOT took too long between seasons that people moved on and forgot about it

MHA on the other hand has been consistently released and didn't have the same so it's always people mind

I'd say the huge gap between seasons 1 and 2 of Attack on Titan played a far bigger role in its drop in popularity than anything the story itself did. People were still on board after Eren transformed, and that was in the first half of season 1.

I really don't see One Punch Man season 2 getting as much hype as the first even if it is as good as the first, for a similar reason.

So Sony is probably planning on announcing a new console next year...

...and I hate that. Because I don't wanna pay 400-500$ dollars for a new console.

Speaking of things I hate, EA. EA, perhaps due to a crippling fear of love and success, hasn't put a Dead Space collection for some reason. I get it's a horror series, but those games still look great.

It sucks because the PC release of Dead Space 1 is pretty fucked. You can get it to work, but it takes some effort.
(Not sure about 2...but I'm not optimistic.)

FMA 2003 is a very special show. It's not a perfect adaptation by any means, though neither is brotherhood. I vastly prefer how a lot of it turns out, the homonculi being an extra reminder of just how much they fucked up by attempting human transmutation. Ed having to really struggle with the realization as the series progresses. Ed and Al's relationship is even more special in the first one because they spend a great deal more time together and the guilt he feels is palpable, and then by the time they get over that Al is the fucking Philosopher's Stone so to finish the job so to speak he has to do something he's not even sure will work and potentially lose his brother a second time.

Scar killing himself like that is a better ending. He gets off pretty easy in Brotherhood to be honest; he has no problem living with the monster he's become if it allows him to take down the even bigger monsters that created him. The Lior thing works really well to show the absolute depravity of the central regime. The whole plot with Winry and Roy is powerful. Cheska is a much needed bit of levity in the second half. The homunculi is another aspect I've always preferred.

I've gone over this about a thousand times before but the music in the original show is maybe the finest anime soundtrack ever. Yes, better than Bebop or whatever else you put as your favorite. I also prefer the art in general, especially the coloring of the characters.

And most controversial of all, I vastly prefer the ending. No I don't count the movie. I mean the actual end of the series with Al not remembering shit and Ed on the other side trying to make a rocket and both of them looking off into the distance. The end of FMA:B is cheap, with the only part that I really enjoy at all being Hoenheim's grand plan to make a new type of alchemy to stop Father. I do appreciate the long con. I think Dante is a bit underrated. She's an unloved monster who still doesn't recognize what she did as wrong and doesn't see why Hoenheim would ever pick anyone over her.

This is not to say that Brotherhood doesn't have some things that are much better. The manga is a brilliant work and all of the stuff adapted from it after the split works brilliantly. Everyone from Not China and Armstrong's sister arcs are great additions. FMA B does an even better job of bringing in Teacher. The kid as pride is pretty great, though having him be fridged for trying to help out his dad is also an amazing moment in FMA 03.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the weirdo who prefers HxH's original adaptation on this, but then I think about it and no, the children are wrong. Or wait, no, they're both brilliant shows and in this case it is personal preference.

TL:DR, Pros and Cons of both series.

FMA

PROS

+Should be the show named Brotherhood (Not a problem in Japan as they're both FMA) because the familial ties are so much stronger.
+Despite a decent amount of filler (most of it decent by the way) it's a much better adaptation of the first third of FMA.
+The best score in anime.
+Better homonculi, save for Father who is actually a pretty fun villain.
+Scar is handled better.
+Better ending.
+Looks better in certain aspects. Better Blu-Ray version.
+ +Superior Al Voice.
+Stuff like Roy and Winry. The tragedy of Lior. Realizing that parts of your dead son/mother including fragments of their memories are trapped in uncaring killing machine bodies hell bent on revenge and it's all your damn fault.
+Back then Isekai wasn't a tainted genre and the reveal that the portal lead to our world and regular alchemy was using our souls to get things done was super cool.
+Better Openings and Endings. Go ahead and at me.
+CHESKA. THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE.

CONS

-More Filler. I like filler, and most of it is good.
-Missing some of the stuff that's truly great from later in the manga. Mei/Xingese Alchemy/Lin in general.
-It's a fantastic dub for its period but it's nowhere near as good as FMA:B's. It's like the third thing Funimation ever dubbed though.
-The movie sucks and taints people's recollection of the ending.

BROTHERHOOD:

PROS

+All the good shit from the manga is here.
+Better dub.
+Despite preferring the look and sound of FMA this is still an incredible looking show with a great score.
+More Ed Short jokes.
+More Oda like Old Men are Strong.
+More teacher, More Hoenheim.
+Father is Fun.
+ Lin/Greed never gets old.
+ Creepy kid is an SMT villain.

CONS

-Wrong show to be named Brotherhood.
-Begins with filler.
-The first third is rushed because they knew they couldn't do it as well as FMA '03.
-No Robo Archer.
-The ending is lame.
-Scar gets off too easy.

No, it's a movie that comes after the series. I'm talking about the shows here. It's like saying the shitty TNG movies take away the brilliance of "All Good Things", which is the best final episode of anything I've ever seen.