[COVER EXAMPLE] LTTP: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

This movie was recently added to Netflix and I just got around to seeing it for the first time.

I have to say it was both hilarious and awesome to listen to. The song that Brie Larson sang was very very good.

What are your thoughts on the movie?

On of my faves. Was disappointed that the ending involved Knives more than Ramona.

But that’s understandable as originally the film had him hook back up with her.

One of my very favorites. I think it's a perfect movie.

I've never read the source material, so I didn't have anything to be sour about.

I've never read the source material, so I didn't have anything to be sour about.
It’s mostly accurate aside from the final showdown. And the fact they wanted him to hook back up with Knives until the comic writer stepped in (and test audiences) and said no that’s dumb.

Never cared for the source material but enjoyed the film a great deal.

It's a bit scatterbrained overall and uneven compared to Wright's other stuff but it didn't deserve to bomb at the box office and it's a cut above 95% of comparable films.

I just watched it yesterday. It starts off a little slow but picks up nicely. A lot of entertaining characters that I wish had more screen time, mostly the evil boyfriends like Chris Evans, Brandon Routh.

I just rewatched it the other day, and I keep coming back to this scene and how much information it's able to convey in just a couple of seconds. The music, the script, the editing. It's just perfect. (And that's actually Brie Larson singing!)

Context: The singer, Natalie, is Scott's ex. Todd, the bass player, is Ramona's ex. Scott has to defeat Ramona's seven evil exes in order to continue dating her.

Movie is a ton of fun. When it first came out I went in knowing that it was directed by Edgar Wright and little else - came out with a huge smile on my face and a crush on Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

I just rewatched it the other day, and I keep coming back to this scene and how much information it's able to convey in just a couple of seconds. The music, the script, the editing. It's just perfect. (And that's actually Brie Larson singing!)

Context: The singer, Natalie, is Scott's ex. Todd, the bass player, is Ramona's ex. Scott has to defeat Ramona's seven evil exes in order to continue dating her.

This movie introduced me to Metric. Bonus points awarded to an already amazing movie!

Don't worry, the movie, comic and game all decided to basically do different things so much that it doesn't matter what goes down in the comic to enjoy any other of the media.

Main thing missing from the comic is that in the comic over the course of the 6 volumes Scott learns to stop being an asshole, the movie trades off this aspect for comedic value and it works perfectly.

Stylish in all the ways an Edgar Wright movie can be. The technical craft is amazing. I don't think they made a particularly sympathetic story though.

Scott's a prick. Brie Larson (EDIT: I meant Marie Elizabeth Winstead) doesn't actually get a lot to say or do in the movie, and the story is worse for it.

Glad they changed the ending from what they originally filmed though. And the Brandon Routh sequence, from the start of the Metric cover to the Vegan Police, is the best sequence of the movie.

It's an enjoyable movie, and I have it on my shelf for a reason. But it's got some problems.

Last edited:
*checks box office takes*

Ouch... Holy cow, I loved this movie... how in the world did it not even make it's budget back at theaters?
It was only in theaters for like a month.

Saw it three times during it's brief run, but most people I know who have seen this never even knew it was in theaters.

I watched it in 10th grade with two friends at the height of my indie music hipster phase... I loved it but will probably never watch it again so I can keep the memory intact.

Ouch... Holy cow, I loved this movie... how in the world did it not even make it's budget back at theaters?
No marketing, source material isn't very popular, quirky/weird when quirky/weird was less likely to be popular.

I love the movie despite its faults, but I wonder if it would have been better waiting for the comic series to conclude. Probably would have required 2 movies to cover it, though. There's a lot more of Scott's past behavior, his unreliable recollection of it, and his realization of his misdeeds/accepting responsibility for them. Not to mention nice little side-arcs about Stephen and others; more closure with Envy, etc.

Having read the books, and seen the movie, I still adore both of them for various reasons. Never played the game. :(

Also, I'm the only person on the planet who likes Metric's original better than Brie's cover, but holy shit a movie where Metric and Beck ARE the soundtrack

Yeah i thought it was not bad, but i think the movie lost a lot of steam during music battle, I though it was stupid and really a chore to watch. I understant having that many ''boyfriend'' work for Comic, but for 2 hours movie it feel rush. And the they add really weird element to justify that hero could fight...

It was only in theaters for like a month.
No marketing, source material isn't very popular, quirky/weird when quirky/weird was less likely to be popular.
It also premiered in August 2010, competing against The Expendables and Eat Pray Love.

It was basically sent to die.

The song that Brie Larson sang was very very good.
That's a Metric song called Black Sheep. Brie Larson didn't sing it.

Also, I'm the only person on the planet who likes Metric's original better than Brie's cover, but holy shit a movie where Metric and Beck ARE the soundtrack
Larson sang it in the movie? Huh. I should watch the movie again sometime, never realized that.

Stylish in all the ways an Edgar Wright movie can be. The technical craft is amazing. I don't think they made a particularly sympathetic story though.

Scott's a prick. Brie Larson doesn't actually get a lot to say or do in the movie, and the story is worse for it.

Glad they changed the ending from what they originally filmed though. And the Brandon Routh sequence, from the start of the Metric cover to the Vegan Police, is the best sequence of the movie.

It's an enjoyable movie, and I have it on my shelf for a reason. But it's got some problems.
"He punched the highlights out of her hair!"

I had actually never considered the lack of Scott's Ex really being a problem. It's not like Ramona's exes get much screentime either.

What would giving Brie Larson's character more screen time fix? Would it make her or Scott more sympathetic?

I think it’s a great time capsule of older millennials in their mid-20s about a decade ago. How to deal with girls and life when you never grew out of Nintendo like so many of us never did lol.

There are a few plotlines dropped/narrowed down (Todd and the drummer, Lisa, Knives' dad, Ramona's psyche, Nega Scott) but for the most part it's really accurate

Tell it to the cleaning lady on Monday, because you'll be dust by Monday, because you'll be pulverized in two seconds, and the cleaning lady? She cleans up...dust. she dusts.

So...what's on Monday?

Well, it's Friday now, and she has weekends off so, Monday. Right?

"He punched the highlights out of her hair!"

I had actually never considered the lack of Scott's Ex really being a problem. It's not like Ramona's exes get much screentime either.

What would giving Brie Larson's character more screen time fix? Would it make her or Scott more sympathetic?
Shit, I meant Ramona. MEW doesn't get a lot to say or do.

And hell, maybe that's a symptom of it - I associate that movie more with Brie Larson in the wake of all the Captain Marvel buzz than I think of the character at the center of Scott's own affections. She's there to be fawned at and occasionally shrug in that semi-ironic 2010 hipster sorta way rather than be any kind of fleshed out character.

I think it's a better ending that he didn't end up with Knives like they originally intended, but it doesn't make him ending up with Ramona much better.

A damn good movie. The style leaps off of every frame, the editing is snappy as hell, the performances are all on point (and what a cast!), the writing is consistently sharp and witty, and the over-the-top fight scenes are badass and super well choreographed.

I think it's close to perfect, honestly. It doesn't feel incomplete or compromised in the slightest. I'm shocked such a pure distillation of a very specific brand of nerdiness ever got made.

It was a weird movie to see again. The humor is a little dated - but not egregiously so. But the love triangle is such a dick move on Scott's part that it's hard to take his little apology at the end and eventual happy ending seriously.

I still love how goofy and stupid the action looked.

It's a great movie, but the source material is better.

It’s mostly accurate aside from the final showdown. And the fact they wanted him to hook back up with Knives until the comic writer stepped in (and test audiences) and said no that’s dumb.
The f--dude, they took so many liberties with the source material, it's definitely not "mostly the same except for the final battle," lol.