[COVER EXAMPLE] LTTP: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I was thinking about the movie the other day. I really loved the movie as a fan of the comic back then, but when revisiting it after becoming a huge fan of Edgar Wright's works and having viewed them all religious it feels like despite the fact that he was the perfect director for this particular adaptation, there's a few jarring concessions that had to have been made to fit 7 whole volumes of the comic into one movie. Nega Scott wasn't well telegraphed despite him just being the punch line for a pretty clever joke (there's a bunch of deleted scenes featuring him but Wright argued that they were cut because he thought the movie juggled too many plot threads already). Ramona really deserved to be the one teaming up with Scott in the final battle over Knives - not that Knives wasn't really good in this movie, but Ramona feels like a literal trophy girl for a long stretch of the movie while in the comics O'Malley explicitly attempted to deconstruct the trope. It feels kind of lame for the movie to fully buy into Roxie's line that Scott should be "fighting his own battles" when in reality, this whole evil exes business is predominantly Ramona's fight, which is why she fights alongside Scott in the books. I think Mary Elizabeth Winstead's performance in general was kind of weak but I boil that down to the script not doing her a lot of favors.

The emphasis on the Knives/Ramona love triangle is... I dunno, both a good thing and a bad thing. I'm not sure if I can really put into words how I feel about it presently, but I'll surely be able to come up with something more substantive later.

I think the biggest issue about the movie is how Envy didn't get enough time in the oven unfortunately; Brie Larson really hams up her performance which is charming in it's own way, but I think she needed to be in the movie more because that part of the story was actually kind of tragic, and one of the centerpieces that began to dig a little deeper into how screwed up the whole evil exes thing was, when up until that point it was played for laughs. The line where she goes "you headbutted my boyfriend so hard that he burst" doesn't have that same level of effect in the movie as it does in the comics because it sort of hypocritically pins the burden on Scott when Envy was totally okay with the idea of Todd killing Scott. Scott makes it seem more like it's payback for Envy breaking Scott's heart, which kind of makes the encounter seem like it was down to pettiness than anything. In the comics the line was much more poignant because Todd was the evil ex that had the longest arc; as it's discovered that she'd been cheating on Envy with their band mate. Despite the fact that Envy figuratively breaks up with him by kicking his nuts (which they gave to Ramona instead in the movie), she's still beaten up by the fact that Scott killed him, still referred to him as her "boyfriend", which goes to show how complicated her feelings truly were. She's one of the best characters in the books, and yeah, unfortunately the movie format kind of robbed that part of her.

But still, I really think Wright did the best with the format that was available. Considering the budget it's kind of surprising that the movie almost hit two hours in length, but it could really have used another 30 minutes to balance the pacing a little bit.

I took a bunch of non nerdy friends who had no clue what it was and they all loved it. It's a great movie for lots of audiences, just didn't take at the time.

It's a fantastic movie, with a great direction. It really feels special.

Gotta watch the blu-ray extras someday, there's a lot of stuff there.

It's a great movie, but the source material is better.
It must be better in a different way, because the movie squeezes the absolute most out of the film medium. The inventiveness of its presentation is mind boggling. Scene after scene plays saucy tricks with visuals and timing.

It's underrated as a comedy movie. Points are absolutely hilarious, and there are many gags built on the brilliant editing, which is pretty rare.

Love this movie.

The Metric/Clash At Demonhead: Black Sheep song is still in my art making music playlist. So good.

Holy shit, just realized Envy was played by Brie Larson!

It was the first game movie that applied game logic that felt utterly natural. Lesbians the cast, lesbians the songs is one my most lesbians comedy flicks.

I’m glad this movie is getting second life on Netflix. I love it and I feel like it’s criminally underrated.

Definitely love how they used Nega-Scott though.

Always enjoyed it. From a cinematography/editing/sound perspective it's still one of the most amazing movies I've experienced.

Co-worker let me borrow her copies of the book(s) last year. Expanded on a lot of things the movie glossed over or eliminated. I like both.

It must be better in a different way, because the movie squeezes the absolute most out of the film medium. The inventiveness of its presentation is mind boggling. Scene after scene plays saucy tricks with visuals and timing.
It's very different. If my memory serves, the fights are fun but the meat of it is about Scott growing up and taking responsibility for his own list of exes, all of whom he was varying degrees of horrible to.

I love both, but ultimately for different reasons. I don't think a straight adaptation of the comic would be a very interesting movie.

It is better in a different way and if I'm being honest with myself, I'm comparing it to the graphic novel when they're really both great pieces of media.

That being said though, Mr. Chau is a fucking boss and I'm sad he wasn't in the movie

EDIT: Oh wait, that's what it was. Scott has better character development in the graphic novel. That's why I liked it more. But I guess 6 books of character is hard to squeeze into a 1 and ½ hour movie.

Used to be one of my absolute favorite movies. Unfortunately I think I outgrew it a little bit. It's still good, but it doesn't connect with me now like it did when I was in my early 20s (I can't believe it's been that long). Luckily the comic still works well for me, and I like to revisit it every now and then.

Other than my cooling opinion on it, I still think it's a visually wonderful movie. The fights are entertaining. It has near perfect casting (other than Scott). And a good chunk of the jokes still hold up well. Though I find the fight with the twins to be really underwhelming now. I understand they had to shorten it, but removing the Twin's story also cut out a good bit of stuff with Kim.

And yes, Black Sheep is amazing. I bought the album just for that song.

Side note: Track down the game if you can. It's based more on the comics, but it's really good. I'm bummed it never got a physical release.

Edit:
I was thinking about the movie the other day. I really loved the movie as a fan of the comic back then, but when revisiting it after becoming a huge fan of Edgar Wright's works and having viewed them all religious it feels like despite the fact that he was the perfect director for this particular adaptation, there's a few jarring concessions that had to have been made to fit 7 whole volumes of the comic into one movie. Nega Scott wasn't well telegraphed despite him just being the punch line for a pretty clever joke (there's a bunch of deleted scenes featuring him but Wright argued that they were cut because he thought the movie juggled too many plot threads already). Ramona really deserved to be the one teaming up with Scott in the final battle over Knives - not that Knives wasn't really good in this movie, but Ramona feels like a literal trophy girl for a long stretch of the movie while in the comics O'Malley explicitly attempted to deconstruct the trope. It feels kind of lame for the movie to fully buy into Roxie's line that Scott should be "fighting his own battles" when in reality, this whole evil exes business is predominantly Ramona's fight, which is why she fights alongside Scott in the books. I think Mary Elizabeth Winstead's performance in general was kind of weak but I boil that down to the script not doing her a lot of favors.

The emphasis on the Knives/Ramona love triangle is... I dunno, both a good thing and a bad thing. I'm not sure if I can really put into words how I feel about it presently, but I'll surely be able to come up with something more substantive later.

I think the biggest issue about the movie is how Envy didn't get enough time in the oven unfortunately; Brie Larson really hams up her performance which is charming in it's own way, but I think she needed to be in the movie more because that part of the story was actually kind of tragic, and one of the centerpieces that began to dig a little deeper into how screwed up the whole evil exes thing was, when up until that point it was played for laughs. The line where she goes "you headbutted my boyfriend so hard that he burst" doesn't have that same level of effect in the movie as it does in the comics because it sort of hypocritically pins the burden on Scott when Envy was totally okay with the idea of Todd killing Scott. Scott makes it seem more like it's payback for Envy breaking Scott's heart, which kind of makes the encounter seem like it was down to pettiness than anything. In the comics the line was much more poignant because Todd was the evil ex that had the longest arc; as it's discovered that she'd been cheating on Envy with their band mate. Despite the fact that Envy figuratively breaks up with him by kicking his nuts (which they gave to Ramona instead in the movie), she's still beaten up by the fact that Scott killed him, still referred to him as her "boyfriend", which goes to show how complicated her feelings truly were. She's one of the best characters in the books, and yeah, unfortunately the movie format kind of robbed that part of her.

But still, I really think Wright did the best with the format that was available. Considering the budget it's kind of surprising that the movie almost hit two hours in length, but it could really have used another 30 minutes to balance the pacing a little bit.
Yeah, there's so much cut out to make it fit in the runtime. Tons of stuff with Envy, Kim, Nega Scott, The glow, Scott and Ramona living together, Scott's messed up memories, the subspace stuff, even a crap ton of stuff with Knives. However I don't know how they could have got all that in. Maybe it would have worked better as a mini-series instead of a movie.

Last edited:
The most stylish and visually appealing movie I've ever had the pleasure of watching. The more I think about it the more I dig it.

Comic was a better story, but Edgar Wright made this a fucking spectacle. Haven't seen it since release but thought it was fun.

I don't know if it's still available but the tie in game was pretty great too, even if it was a River City Ransom knockoff.

I caught this on Netflix as well the other day. So good! Nigel Godrich also produced every Radiohead album so I was psyched to see his name.

The two weakest parts of this movie for me are the bollywood scene and the ddr ninja game. maybe some of the shit with knives and ramona could have been done better but last time I watched this I really liked it still.

I should rewatch now that I'm 26 and not 18

The more you think about it, in both the comic and the movie Scott doesn't really deserve the people in his life.

Michael Cera takes down Captain America, Superman (with help from the Punisher) who is now dating his ex-gf Captain Marvel, and finally takes down the guy that got the OC theme song stuck in my head for 10 years.

Its one of my favorite movies. Best comic book film ever made. I'm in lesbians with it.

Probably one of my favorite movies of the century tbh. Even if the sense of humor doesn't vibe with you the pure precision in the editing for this flick was nuts. It took both this and Social Network (in the same year!) for me to pay more attention to how well it can supplement a film stylistically.

Also bless up to Edgar Wright making fight scenes with people like Michael Cera, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost better than most of the action stuff you see in Hollywood.

Last edited:
One of my favourite films. It's an editing masterclass, the supporting cast are perfect, and there are a ridiculous number of split-second jokes. It might not have the character depth of the comics, but I honeslty prefer it just for being better-paced.