Dead or Alive 6 Discussion Thread - Roster, Stages, DLC, etc

Most of the redesigns have been hit or miss with me (really dislike Helena's especially), but Ayane's is just perfect. Pretty cool to see she has such a major role in the story, too.

Game looks great but geeze I hate Honoka. Such a low effort character in visual style and overall design. Also her boobs in this demo really highlight how nonsense the physics are. I say this as someone whos played and mostly defended all the DoA games haha.

Like seriously I can't ignore her wearing a mostly tight jacket but her boobs are bouncing all over the place but the jacket itself isn't moving. Its bothering me so much.
Yeah, she is seriously trash on so many levels. It especially bothers me that they quickly made her one of the major girls even above the likes of Tina and Lei Fang.

I loved every character in this series before she came along. Well, I guess I never liked Hayate either, but mostly only because I loved Ein.

I feel like DOA5 did jiggle better, but I'll take it.

Combat looks neat, not a fan of the headphones for Hitomi's outfit, but it might grow on me.

I've only ever played DOA5 vanilla so I might be missing some story? Will have to look into that.

I do wish they played a little more at Koei Tecmo's conference, but all in due time. We just had training mode, and like 2 matches.

Most of the redesigns have been hit or miss with me (really dislike Helena's especially), but Ayane's is just perfect. Pretty cool to see she has such a major role in the story, too.

Yeah, she is seriously trash on so many levels. It especially bothers me that they quickly made her one of the major girls even above the likes of Tina and Lei Fang.

I loved every character in this series before she came along. Well, I guess I never liked Hayate either, but mostly only because I loved Ein.
Well they push her because the base they were going after loved her. They went after two specific groups with her and Marie Rose and succeeded on both ends. If they failed, she wouldn't be pushed so hard. I wouldn't really be blaming the team for that.

Personally I like her fine, nothing special.

Break Blows for the new characters and the difference between violence on and off shown on Bayman's Break Blow

Great that there is an alternative to the zoom but man as if the Break Blows didn't look bad to begin with this bandaid fix for people who dislike the zoom doesn't exactly look great. How did we go from power blows that could have been cooler to this

Ayane's outfit looks even better when her dumb looking hood is gone

Break Blows for the new characters and the difference between violence on and off shown on Bayman's Break Blow

Great that there is an alternative to the zoom but man as if the Break Blows didn't look bad to begin with this bandaid fix for people who dislike the zoom doesn't exactly look great. How did we go from power blows that could have been cooler to this

I actually like all 4 of those break blows!
Mean backfist from Bayman, usual spinning kick from Marie, Raidou's fist for Honoka, and magic for Ayane.

The light when there's violence turned off is referenced in the Famitsu interview, where they say that this kind of light is usually used to hide something else in Japan lol.

I actually like all 4 of those break blows!
Mean backfist from Bayman, usual spinning kick from Marie, Raidou's fist for Honoka, and magic for Ayane.

The light when there's violence turned off is referenced in the Famitsu interview, where they say that this kind of light is usually used to hide something else in Japan lol.
Is it me or did they age up Marie Rose's face a bit so she looks more like a cosplay girl and less well...you know 12?

I genuinely appreciate these announcement posts, makes it feel like an event.

It really is remarkable. It's like they tell the West the complete opposite of what they show Japan. Amazing.
Yeah, it's quite a sight to behold. What's especially funny, they pretend the West wouldn't notice how DOA6 is promoted in the East and the East wouldn't notice how DOA6 is promoted in the West. They are doing it on the exact same social media channels. XD

Yeah, it's quite a sight to behold. What's especially funny, they pretend the West wouldn't notice how DOA6 is promoted in the East and the East wouldn't notice how DOA6 is promoted in the West. They are doing it on the exact same social media channels. XD
I certainly noticed that we aren't getting that cool special edition in the West. If I get the PS4 Japanese version, will it have English options/ability to play online in NA?

I certainly noticed that we aren't getting that cool special edition in the West. If I get the PS4 Japanese version, will it have English options/ability to play online in NA?
English options for sure. I don't know about the online play though. I'm sure that is configured by region and you may need to use a Japanese account for matchmaking/DLC.

Nice. I am liking some of these fatal rush into break blows here.
I want to see more of Bayman. He is looking cool in terms of costume and fatal rush/break blow. But, Id like to see more raw gameplay. Want to see some of those throws and holds. Someone better use him in the little tournament coming up.

It always seemed pretty dumb from the first japanese tweets why they didn't use a separate western and JP account yeah...

edit:
I have the JP LE for 5 Last Round. Only differences is needing a japanese account for the DLC/PS Store, and valid/cancel being reversed (X is O and vice-versa), the rest is the same as the other versions.
I'd be surprised if it's different for 6.

Is it me or did they age up Marie Rose's face a bit so she looks more like a cosplay girl and less well...you know 12?
She looks the same to me (if someone hated her babyfaced looks before, I don't see that changing now).

Violence off option ditching the last of the Mortal Kombat bullshit I hated by nixing the zoom-ins is good news (ah, and the tacky lens splatter too, excellent).

Last edited:
I made two more direct comparisons. :)

I am always very careful in regards to alleged changes to a face model. In 95% of all cases when people think they see a difference it is actually the different lighting, a different angle or different facial expression playing tricks on them. It does however look as if they made MR's chin area less round and as if they made the red part of her lower lip smaller, less pouty. This can make her appear a bit older.

Also looks like they made her lower eyelid a little straighter to make her eyes look a bit less round but that could possible angle or even the frame the pic was taken

Overall atleast it looks like they made some of her facial features just a bit sharper and more angular

Also looks like they made her lower eyelid a little straighter to make her eyes look a bit less round but that could possible angle or even the frame the pic was taken.
I always try to take a comparison pic from the exact same angle. What you have to take into account though, especially with the eyes, the muscles around them move a lot more in DOA6, one of the biggest improvements. So you will hardly ever have the same eye shape.

Shading and lighting overall is cleaner, might help make them seem older. Even ever so slightly. Also, glad their bets on loli and idol fans worked out monetarily for Honoka and Marie, but man if I don't wish to see only the real DoA characters so to speak on the cover. Relegate at least Honkers to the back of the box.

Kinda hoping the story is a bit less Kasumi related this time. Feel like we got our fill in DoA5, but have no idea what the story could be this time around.

Have they shown much DOA yet? The original schedule said the exhibition match starts a little over an hour from now.

I've been watching the Soul Calibur stream.

They toned down the lighting in the Throwdown stage even more. The floodlights hardly effect the characters anymore. The DOA Colosseum has slightly changed lighting too. Sunlight falls in a different angle into the stage and they added a couple details like orange signs in the arches. The shadowing of objects in the background has still not returned.

They toned down the lighting in the Throwdown stage even more. The floodlights hardly effect the characters anymore. The DOA Colosseum has slightly changed lighting too. Sunlight falls in a different angle into the stage and they added a couple details like orange signs in the arches. The shadowing of objects in the background has still not returned.
It might be just to keep this build stable. There hasn't been a lot of time between builds. I'm actually surprised at how quickly they're bug-testing these builds to get them at every show. They probably had the longest time to work on the E3 build, which is the build with the best lighting. I wouldn't be surprised if they're cutting corners by toning down effects to keep things running smoothly with each additional build.

Shimbori also noted that the physics/graphics engine isn't complete yet, so we may see a bump back up to E3 standards once that's final.

I have a question: When we see some of the demo stations with PS4 controllers and PS4 button layout on screen, is the game really played on PS4 or could they easily connect the PS4 controllers to the PC. I'm not a PC gamer so I don't know if that is easily possible. I'm asking because the PS4 version seems to look just as good and clean as the PC version, which is imo a bit fishy, lol.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
I have a question: When we see some of the demo stations with PS4 controllers and PS4 button layout on screen, is the game really played on PS4 or could they easily connect the PS4 controllers to the PC. I'm not a PC gamer so I don't know if that is easily possible. I'm asking because I the PS4 version seems to look just as good and clean as the PC version, which is imo a bit fishy, lol.
Easily doable on PC. The button prompts are easily swappable between the two versions on the PC (assuming they went to the trouble of doing that). Hell, some games change the button prompts according to whether you have a DS4 attached or a controller recognized as X-input.

Also considering how much of a stickler you are for model/image quality, I'm actually surprised you're not more of a PC person lol.

I have a question: When we see some of the demo stations with PS4 controllers and PS4 button layout on screen, is the game really played on PS4 or could they easily connect the PS4 controllers to the PC. I'm not a PC gamer so I don't know if that is easily possible. I'm asking because the PS4 version seems to look just as good and clean as the PC version, which is imo a bit fishy, lol.
Most games on PC now immediately just give you Xbox inputs if you touch anything on the controller, but if the developer licenses the PlayStation buttons (unlike Xbox, you need to license PS inputs) you can easily swap between them all in the options.

Also considering how much of a stickler you are for model/image quality, I'm actually surprised you're not more of a PC person lol.
Lol, well...I guess I am a stickler for that kind of stuff, but it's actually less the technical side that interests me and more the artisticaI side. That's why I like to talk about game visuals and in particular the character models so much. I am now working as a character designer and illustrator for comic book publishers and game studios and after I had finished my studies I also tutored figure and nude drawing classes in university for several semesters. That's also a reason why I am such a stickler for character modelling. I come from 2D character art and mainly work in 2D character art, but you got to have knowledge and a good feeling for plasticity to make good drawings, so sculpture and 3D modelling also interests me a lot. :)

lucebuce

Community Resettler
I also tutored nude drawing classes in university for several semesters.

But for real, that's awesome. I know that you made one of the Halloween costumes for Helena back in DoA5 and I remember you were the one who explained the reason why even the new "proper fighter" designs for the female characters used heels instead of more conventional footwear.

But for real, that's awesome. I know that you made one of the Halloween costumes for Helena back in DoA5 and I remember you were the one who explained the reason why even the new "proper fighter" designs for the female characters used heels instead of more conventional footwear.
What? XD Nude drawing is part of the curriculum in most European art and design schools. To be able to draw proper human characters you need to learn and practice on real life, nude models. I always loved those courses and I was fairly good. I helped my professor out during my studies and after I finished I was hired as a guest tutor for a while.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
What? XD Nude drawing is part of the curriculum in most European art and design schools. To be able to draw proper human characters you need to learn and practice on real life, nude models. I always loved those courses and I was fairly good. I helped my professor out during my studies and after I finished I was hired as a guest tutor for a while.

lucebuce

Community Resettler

So, to get back to topic, they could just have people play with PS4 controllers on PC? XD
I was just joking around lol. I have a lot of respect for artists and I know nude drawing is an essential part of learning how to draw the human anatomy and to learn framing (and many other things I'm sure, I know next to nothing about art)

And so yes, they could've been playing on PC easily but it's in no way a guarantee.