Earthquake 7.7 Richter Scale hits Indonesia + tsunami following after [Update: 1200+ death toll]

7.7 on the Richter scale or the modern Moment Magnitude Scale?

Edit: read the article, measurements were from the US geological survey. So it was measured on the MMS scale.

Last edited:
Should specify where in Indonesia (in this case central Sulawesi). Indonesia is a very big country. Hopefully not many casualties this time >_<

https://apnews.com/d876fac318a74743929437b5347d9c6c

A spokesman for Indonesia’s geophysics agency says a powerful Sulawesi earthquake caused a tsunami, apparently after the agency lifted a tsunami warning.

Indonesian disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho says the magnitude 7.5 Sulawesi earthquake caused a tsunami that hit the provincial capital of Palu and another city, Donggala.

He said in a live TV interview Friday that houses were swept away and families are reported missing.

Sutopo said communications with the area in central Sulawesi are down and the search and rescue effort is being hampered by darkness.

I was in Bali when the Lombok earthquake hit... felt like the San Francisco earthquake simulation they have at the academy of sciences — MASSIVE.

That tsunami video is wild — i feel for my people.

ugh this looks pretty bad..

Seems like they were having difficulties with communication to the city of Palu where the tsunami happened. Looking at the above video, unfortunately I think there will be some casualties :\

ugh this looks pretty bad..

Seems like they were having difficulties with communication to the city of Palu where the tsunami happened. Looking at the above video, unfortunately I think there will be some casualties :\
"Some casualties" might be an understatement if the area wasn't properly warned of the tsunami beforehand

edit - I REALLY hope I'm wrong

"Some casualties" might be an understatement if the area wasn't properly warned of the tsunami beforehand

edit - I REALLY hope I'm wrong
From what I've read there was a tsunami warning issued. I just don't know if the tsunami happened after the warning was lifted or during. I hope most people on the shore areas heard the warning and head to higher ground.

It's crazy to me that this news doesn't even rate a page 2.
Well I just searched and the very recent Lombok (+ Bali) earthquake in August didn't even have a thread. 563 people dead in that one.

Resetera is just more US-centric I suppose. We can only keep updating with the news report.

It's in Sulawesi, far away from here so I'm safe. But it's so devastating for the whole country as this is the 2nd big earthquake hit here in the past 3 months.

It's crazy to me that this news doesn't even rate a page 2.
Remember that Japan earthquake thread? It was smaller and didn't followed by tsunami, and yet.. ah, never mind.

The footage coming out of this is insane. I hope the number of deaths doesn’t climb much more than that :/
It probably will :\

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...donesias-sulawesi-tsunami-warning-lifted.html
National Disaster Mitigation Agency Spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told a press conference that the death toll may increase, saying the figures were only from the Central Sulawesi provincial capital of Palu, one of the two worst-affected areas.

"They were mostly the victims found under the debris of collapsed buildings, but we also received reports that there were many bodies killed by the tsunami found on the beach. We are still calculating and collecting data of the victims on the beach," Sutopo said.

"We haven't been able to access the condition in Donggala because telecommunication was cut and roads were damaged," Sutopo said, adding that bridges, including one regarded as an icon in Palu had collapsed, while landslides occurred and roads cracked, disconnecting access to Palu and Dongggala.

If Indonesia had shitty cartoons people would care. This honestly bothers me more than it should.
I'm Australian and our public broadcaster has been updating this story and covering it well. We are neighbours though. I hope our Indonesian friends get the support they'll need after this.

Considering most likely all buildings there were not constructed with earthquake safety in mind, and idk if they have proper equipments for tsunami warning around the aera after the earthquake, yeah..

Just watched a few videos in this thread and damn. The power of that Tsunami.... absolutely terrifying. I fear the number of victims will be very high.