Earthquake 7.7 Richter Scale hits Indonesia + tsunami following after [Update: 1200+ death toll]

Hopefully the warning wasn't lifted early enough for people to go back to areas of danger..

Also wtf at worrying about the amount of replies.

It is terrifying. I was in Bali during the Lombok earthquake. There was mass panic when it hit. The earth felt like the sea. Like waves. Very scary.

I just heard the death toll is already up to 384 now...

Damn. I've been in a 6.4 before and it was hell on Earth. This thing was over ten times stronger. I will prepare to donate once the relief funds go up, and I hope all of you will consider it as well.

Was about to say hopefully not many have died but then saw that toll. R.I.P. Hopefully that number does not rise into the thousands.

It is terrifying. I was in Bali during the Lombok earthquake. There was mass panic when it hit. The earth felt like the sea. Like waves. Very scary.

I just heard the death toll is already up to 384 now...
Yeah, that's how I'd describe the earthquake I was in too. The streets were rippling. It was more surreal than scary at the time but I was probably in shock. I hope the death toll for this doesn't climb too high but... :(

That video is a perfect example of just how unimaginably powerful a tsunami can be. A fast moving, endless wall of water that means certain death for anyone at or near ground level, and widespread destruction.

After I saw that yesterday I was expecting the death toll to shoot up, and it has indeed.

Hopefully these areas can get the aid they need as soon as possible.

Awful. The power of water is truly terrifying.
RIP those killed. Horrid way to go out.

What's the best way to guarantee money would reach those in need? (From the UK)

Fuck me, that looks horrible. I’m going diving for six weeks in Sipadan / Raja Ampat / Lembeh in January, how likely it’s for one of these to hit again...?

Any news on what effect this will have on Bandung?
I live in Bandung. The earthquake is thousands of kilometers from here, and the city is at the center of West Java, surrounded by mountains.

Anyway, newest update from national television is 384 death toll, and it's probably still counting. This potentially might be more tragic than Lombok/Bali earthquake back in July which killed 530+ people.

I live in Bandung. The earthquake is thousands of kilometers from here, and the city is at the center of West Java, surrounded by mountains.

Anyway, newest update from national television is 384 death toll, and it's probably still counting. This potentially might be more tragic than Lombok/Bali earthquake back in July which killed 530+ people.
That one did not generate any big tsunamis, right?

That one did not generate any big tsunamis, right?
No, it didn't. On top of that, the earthquake in Lombok was smaller, but continuous. Lots of people buried in buildings there as the earthquake occurred at night. That's probably the main reason of the high death toll.

My condolences for the people in Indonesia. A Tsunami following a powerful earthquake is a thing of nightmares.

Also, found this:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...sors-missed-huge-waves-official-says/10321330

The geophysics agency (BMKG) faced criticism on Saturday on social media, with many questioning if the tsunami warning was lifted too soon. (The agency) said the closest tide gauge, which measures changes in sea level, only recorded an "insignificant", six-centimetre wave and did not account for the giant waves near Palu.

That video with the tsunami is scary as hell, I hope all those people were safe on whatever high-rise building they were on. Hearing about the tsunami warning being lifted concerns me that everyone went back to their regular lives just before the tsunami hit.

If I'm reading this right, it does not sound like negligence/displicence. Rather, there weren't tide sensors close enough to the coast, that could detect the incoming large waves. Perhaps there was a large cave in/land displacement closer than expected?

Last edited:
If I'm reading this right, it does not sound like negligence/displicence. Rather, there weren't tide sensors close enough to the coast, that could detect the incoming large waves. Perhaps there was a large cave in/land displacement closer than expected?
Well Palu is located deep inside a somewhat narrow bay, so the tsunami would likely go much higher and faster going in. I'd imagine the sensors are probably somewhere in the open ocean :\

https://www.google.com/maps/@-0.6751278,119.8460833,138305m/data=!3m1!1e3

*edit* reading that abc article, the nearest sensor is 200km away from Palu, so yeah, can't really blame them.