Earthquake 7.7 Richter Scale hits Indonesia + tsunami following after [Update: 1200+ death toll]

Latest update (15 minutes ago) is that there are currently 844 bodies that have been found. There are still places that haven't been reached due to the harsh condition and/or secluded area.

Some more pics of the aftermath:

This video is unreal...

Holy shit!!! All throughout that video I was horrified but not very worried about the cameraman. It looked "calm" (relatively) but I blurted out a loud "my god!!" when that last wave came in rushing. I hope whoever was shooting that is okay.

Might have been posted, but...

Praise is rolling in for Anthonius Gunawan Agung, a young air traffic controller at Mutiara SIS Al-Jufri Airport in Palu, Central Sulawesi, who died on Friday evening (28/09) while jumping from a collapsing control tower shortly after ensuring that the last commercial flight cleared the runway just as a massive earthquake struck the area.

Agung, who would have celebrated his 22nd birthday next month, is one of at least 384 people who have so far been confirmed to have died in the magnitude-7.4 earthquake that hit the coastal towns of Palu and Donggala at around 6 p.m. on Friday.
https://jakartaglobe.id/news/heroic...ensuring-last-flight-escapes-palu-earthquake/

They did but lifted the warning because the tsunami was too small or something. Either a system failure or someone really fucked up.
Said the early warning system was broken or something. Corruption?
The nearest tidal sensor is apparently 200km away from Palu so you can't really blame them really. You must understand that Indonesia is roughly 5 times bigger than Japan and is most likely not prepared compared to them in handling earthquake or tsunami.

Add to that we're relatively poor (+corruption) and is probably more concerned about other things in general.

Death toll keeps growing in each passing day... now at 925.

Moreover, these past couple days have been infuriating. Aids are slow to arrive so people are starting to loot everything. Shops in the city have completely looted dry.

I really can't blame them. But I've heard rumours that people are also 'looting' from houses. It's out of control.

News about looters kept popping up on my news feed.

I heard some people used that opportunity to steal electronics. Damn.

I hope everyone can recover from this disaster.

Death toll keeps growing in each passing day... now at 925.

Moreover, these past couple days have been infuriating. Aids are slow to arrive so people are starting to loot everything. Shops in the city have completely looted dry.

I really can't blame them. But I've heard rumours that people are also 'looting' from houses. It's out of control.
*reads youtube comment*

Sees "This is gods way of punishing muslims, amen"

Sigh, why do i even bother

*reads youtube comment*

Sees "This is gods way of punishing muslims, amen"

Sigh, why do i even bother
Is it to make posts like this? You and everyone else knows youtube comments are usually trash, so why do we need a "why did I read the comments" reaction to every youtube video.

Death toll is now 1234:
https://apnews.com/6d696770327f4d8c...erywhere,-aid-slow-to-reach-Indonesia-victims

The confirmed death toll was raised to 1,234 on Tuesday afternoon, but national disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said at a news conference in Jakarta that the communities of Sigi and Balaroa have not been counted yet, meaning the toll is likely to rise.
Desperation exploded into anger Tuesday in the town closest to the epicenter of the massive earthquake and tsunami that hit parts of Sulawesi island four days ago, with residents begging Indonesia’s president to help them as hungry survivors crawled into stores and grabbed boxes of food.

“Pay attention to Donggala, Mr. Jokowi. Pay attention to Donggala,” yelled one resident in footage broadcast on local television, referring to President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo. “There are still a lot of unattended villages here.”

Most of the attention so far has focused on the biggest affected city, Palu, home to 380,000 people with considerable damage.
Donggala’s administration head Kasman Lassa said residents should take only food staples from shops.

“Everyone is hungry and they want to eat after several days of not eating,” Lassa said. “We have anticipated it by providing food, rice, but it was not enough. There are many people here. So, on this issue, we cannot pressure them to hold much longer.”

Desperation was visible everywhere among victims receiving little aid. In Palu, signs propped along roads read “We Need Food” and “We Need Support,” while children begged for cash in the streets and long lines of cars snarled traffic as people waited for fuel.
President Widodo authorized the acceptance of international help, Nugroho said Monday, adding that generators, heavy equipment and tents were among the most-needed items. The European Union and about 10 countries have offered assistance, including the United States and China, he said.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Tuesday that his government had given $360,000 to help victims and was in talks with Indonesian authorities about a second round of aid. The initial funds would go to the Indonesian Red Cross for the most obvious emergency aid needs, such as tarpaulins.

I'm gonna be in Phuket, Indonesia in a month or so. I know the chances of a tsunami happening during the three days I'll be there are slim but Im kinda scared. Irrationally scared but scared nonetheless. Am I a fool?

I'm gonna be in Phuket, Indonesia in a month or so. I know the chances of a tsunami happening during the three days I'll be there are slim but Im kinda scared. Irrationally scared but scared nonetheless. Am I a fool?
First, Phuket is in Thailand. Second, chance of tsunami is still there, especially these days when the ring of fire seems to be pretty active. We've just had a series of new earthquake in another island today (far away from Palu, Sulawesi). Third, it all depends on your destination in Indonesia. Lots of tourist destinations won't be affected by tsunami.

First, Phuket is in Thailand. Second, chance of tsunami is still there, especially these days when the ring of fire seems to be pretty active. We've just had a series of new earthquake in another island today (far away from Palu, Sulawesi). Third, it all depends on your destination in Indonesia. Lots of tourist destinations won't be affected by tsunami.
Christ, I meant Phuket Thailand, not Indonesia. I know this area got hit pretty bad by the 2004 tsunami.

The region of Indonesia I will be visiting though is Bali but that one doesn't seem to be in a tsunami risk area and I'll also be in the jungle center of the island instead of a beach resort like in Phuket.

Last edited:
Thailand is better prepared but it's always good to be on alert. Another mega tsunami like in 2004 is predicted to hit the area as the last one released only half of the accumulated energy.

Thailand is better prepared but it's always good to be on alert. Another mega tsunami like in 2004 is predicted to hit the area as the last one released only half of the accumulated energy.
You're kidding right? That's not reassuring at all. I'll be there for my honeymoon for chrissakes! I should've picked Ko Samui instead....

Last edited:
Any non-bullshit organizations we can send donations to help relief efforts?

That video is truly horrifying, the way you start to realize the scope of the earthquake and how the video ends suddenly...