Forza Horizon 4 |OT| Seasoned to Perfection

I don't feel particularly invested in unannounced expansions. Probably going for the VIP upgrade only.
I wouldn't describe myself as "invested," but their track record for DLC has been completely amazing, and Hot Wheels came out of left field and needs to be rewarded with a little faith.

First 10 minutes of this game are absolutely insane. This game should be in top 10 achievements of mankind.

I had to pause it to take a breather. 4K on a scorpio is once again blowing my mind

Probably been said but PC players should avoid all utilities that hook to the game, including OBS window hooks etc. The hooks will instantly crash the game on pc.

Use my 150 forzathon live points for 14 wheelspins
Or 1 super wheel spin?
I blew 150fp on a super spin and got three cosmetics.

So now I chose to spend the forzathon points on the low cost standard spins - even if 50% of the spins end up rubbish I feel like I'm getting better value stretching the points across many spins.

Probably been said but PC players should avoid all utilities that hook to the game, including OBS window hooks etc. The hooks will instantly crash the game on pc.
RTSS+MSI AB works tho if you start them after you have started FH4, if you want to use custom profiles and all that stuff.

Yep 3 days . Maybe 4
Winter is especially going to be annoying after a while, since Winter is basically 24/7 rallying for road cars, so with stuff like Speed Zones, Speed Traps, Danger Signs etc, it's all going to be much harder to pull off 3 stars. We're essentially going to have to predominantly stick to races for maximum competitiveness, else the times and results we post will just be at a handicap.

Wonderment

Everything you could want in a
For those solo or drivatar-favoring people coming from horizon 3, once you open horizon life the game will take over several of your race icons with "seasonal" championships, which are akin to the championships in 3. You race against drivatars, and on top of the regular credit and xp rewards, they give you an additional award based on the difficulty level of the drivatars.

But at least now you don't have to grind head-to-head races just to unlock street races. And bucket-list stuff has been moved to the 10-part stories. Each type of race or skill has its own levelling system, so you unlock speed traps only by completing other speed traps first, for instance.

As for all the exhibitions, they are much more permissible with vehicle types than 3 was - you can race your supercar against other supercars in that dirt race, but you may not find the experience worth it.

I'm not sure myself what is triggering the barn finds, but I've been doing a smattering of everything, and the barn finds keep popping up. They've made at least a few of them seasonal.

I'm not sure myself what is triggering the barn finds, but I've been doing a smattering of everything, and the barn finds keep popping up. They've made at least a few of them seasonal.
That explains why I am missing at least 4 of them (one from the castle and 3 more from the other seasons). Kind of annoying but makes sense from their side.

Yes. I’m crashing at turns that I feel amateurs should be making. Even with rewind.

in Forza games lifting off the accelerator right before a turn and rarely braking, except when carrying way too much speed for a turn, to slow you in the straight before the turn should yield better results. Be amazed how much ground you can make up in races by not accelerating as much as you think you need to. Feathering the gas helps too

Don't know if that will help but hope so.

I blew 150fp on a super spin and got three cosmetics.

So now I chose to spend the forzathon points on the low cost standard spins - even if 50% of the spins end up rubbish I feel like I'm getting better value stretching the points across many spins.
Sweet thanks for feedback will go with 15 spins

Winter is especially going to be annoying after a while, since Winter is basically 24/7 rallying for road cars, so with stuff like Speed Zones, Speed Traps, Danger Signs etc, it's all going to be much harder to pull off 3 stars. We're essentially going to have to predominantly stick to races for maximum competitiveness, else the times and results we post will just be at a handicap.
good point, i'm looking forward to winter personally. But yes will need to see how that pand out considering what you point out here.

I guess the idea is variety but variety at 3-4 days would be better. I'm guessing they like the weekly model as it coincides with car pack releases same day

Game crashes during loading on both Xbox and PC for me after the day one patch.

Loading the game with a different profile works fine so this tells me something in that update broke my save.

Can't play on either platform until they fix it or I start the game over again.

For whatever reason MS thought I was still eligible for the 2 week Game Pass trial. Well, I won't correct them even though they're wrong - and I should have reached my MS Rewards goal for a 3 month game pass sub by then anyway, so downloading now.

Jeez. Taking forever to start. I'm on the screen with the XBOX controller showing you the controls and have this white dot spinning in the lower right hand corner but it's been like this for 5 mins.

After the Turn 10 logo and cars go by it sits at black for a good 3 minutes, then comes up, and let's me start in the menus but nothing after that...

well, for me it isn´t doing enough new, it is getting somewhat old at this point. so it is surely not "straight out wrong".

as i said it is stagnation on a high level. there is room for improvement which is completely untapped in this entry:

-car collisions/damage model could been much better, it is the same from FH3
-more meaningful progression system is needed, not "just finish the race and you are good"
-showcases still rubberbanded and heavily directed, uninteresting to play bar the visual spectacle
-car selection while big just misses many great cars
-landscape sadly not so interesting, too much countryside, Australia felt much grander
-devoid of life, where are pedestrians in the city, where are hikers in the countryside?
-menus cluttered, too much submenus, too much white
-cars changing for an event and back takes a long time, i just drive my Subaru which is suited for anything
-online mode really underwhelming with not enough AI cars, feels more lifeless than offline mode which shouldn´t be the case
-the festival is relegated to be something on the sidelines, the festival aspect is not as prominent as in the other games of the series
-buying houses make no big impact bar a few houses
-those stuntman/delivery service questlines aren´t as cool as bucketlist challenges
-silly dances/emotes and stupid clothes at odds with the rest of the game, i really don´t like it, Fortnite/Overwatch and GAAS reeks its ugly head and i really despise those winning poses.

what it does great is the graphics(which is cool but no selling point for me), the seasons(which are on weekly rotation so that is a point of criticism on its own), the driving feel and the soundtrack-but all of this was already great in FH2 and FH3.

maybe i am too old to be easily impressed but all in all it could have been much more and if someone was a pedantic it could be called FH 3.5

in conclusion, i fully agree with the 8.0 reviews, personally would have given it a 8.5 because i really like the game but it just isn´t higher for me because it is too samey to the last entry.

i hope they improve the online mode to be more lively and the DLC´s to be something really special because this entry needs this extra oomph somehow.
You make a few valid points (and some of those things can still be fixed with updates, and fine tuning after the player feedback), but others are just subjective opinions, most of which I vehemently disagree with. There are definitely more meaningful changes here than between FH2 and FH3, although perhaps - perhaps - not as many as between FH1 and FH2 (which is to be expected, as FH2 was the generational jump entry), and the regular GaaS updates like seasonal championships (and maybe also new stories, showcases or even jobs and activity types) should keep FH4 worth coming back to for far longer than any of the previous entries. The scores on the higher end of the spectrum seem fair to me so far.

I really don't have any interest in the online content though, I just always play Horizon until I win the festival maybe do some achievements afterwards and then maybe revisit it when expansions release.
The festival just keeps on going here, however, every season should bring new time-limited challenges both for solo and online focused players (although I'm sure that there's a finale, but it's only the end if you want it to be). And then there's the blueprint system and the upcoming route creator which should give it even more longevity.

It’s to feed players carrots no matter which activities they want to stick to and not beat them with a stick for ignoring many others. I think it’s their best system yet. It leans more toward the player and not how they want you to play.
Agreed, this system is great for many types of players, it's very inclusive. At the same time, I can see how it might confuse or even alienate those who need more rigid progression in order to feel like they're accomplishing something, people who are not content with just playing or even finishing the game - they need to beat it. FH4 doesn't seem to be like that, it's like a friend who takes you by the hand and says "come on, let's have some fun", not an adversary to overcome.

Is simulation steering decent on a controller? Or is that mainly for wheels?
It's good on a controller as well, I wouldn't use anything else, but it's not for everyone. Give it a try, and see how it feels for you.

A week is way too long for a single season to linger. Kind of already want summer to end and it's only been a few days. Each season should last no longer than 2-3 days imo.
I think a week is good. Not everyone can play the game for many hours each day, so it might take a while to wrap up all the seasonal championships. Especially later on, when it's not the latest game that everyone's playing, but just something you come back to for the seasonal updates.

I think a week is good. Not everyone can play the game for many hours each day, so it might take a while to wrap up all the seasonal championships. Especially later on, when it's not the latest game that everyone's playing, but just something you come back to for the seasonal updates.
Afaik there are only three season specific events/championships each season, which probably take an hour to two tops to complete. Add in a few hours of wanting to just experience normal races and driving in the seasonal weather conditions, and you total probably 3-4 hours of total game time needed per season, which I think most Forza Horizon players will easily be able to invest in 2-3 days. In that sense an entire week seems far far too long.

Last edited:
I can’t get the game pass version to download, it’s in the game pass store but when I click it nothing happens at all.

Tried turning my console off fully too and nothing.

Afaik there are only three season specific events/championships each season, which probably take an hour to two tops to complete. Add in a few hours of wanting to just experience normal races and driving in the seasonal weather conditions, and you total probably 3-4 hours of total game time needed per season, which I think most Forza Horizon players will easily be able to invest in 2-3 days. In that sense an entire week seems far far too long.
If you go to the menu to check out what's new for the season, there are indeed 3 championships listed, but right now there are 6 seasonal championships on my map (one of them being a co-op championship). There's really a crapload of things to do aside from that, not even counting practically endlessly replayable stuff (blueprint championships, rival events, Forzathon, online races...), so I really don't think that a week per season is going to be excessive for most people (who, you have to remember, are probably going to play for an hour or two each day - it's a series that also appeals to the broad audience of more casual players).

Stuck on a loading screen for an event, screen spinning around my car.. I assume I hit the part that hasn't installed yet. At 56%...
This happened to me too, after the game was fully installed it was working fine.

What to say? I started playing last night thanks to Game Pass. I quickly picked up the Ultimate Edition's Add-Ons Bundle which still cost 55 Euros less than buying the full game with it (worth it). Man, this game is just so lovely. I will not subscribe to this thread yet because I'm stuck at work and the less I think about this game the better. It is just so gorgeous to look at, the handling is perfect as usual, and in general going on is simply a joy. Every race so far felt fun, and I honestly have a hard time finding flaws at the moment, though I'm still early on in the game. Anyone knows when the season switches?

Switched from X to PC before going to bed tonight, was extremely seamless with just a 2 min sync screen (first time) and another 30 seconds to optimize for PC. Its great being able to tweak FOVs and running at max settings and 120 fixed FPS on a gsync monitor. No HDR sadly. I wonder if I am cross playing with xbox players, couldn't really tell when I did a team adventure thing.

There are still a few minor bugs, like I can't seem to get any barn finds to pop and yes I've done all the races at the horizon festival itself. Maybe just need to keep grinding more races, although I'm nearly level 10 in racing and level 100 influence (lol, mostly due to leaving a stream on all weekend). Also a lot of spots where your car can get stuck between rocks and trees, fortunately fast traveling to festival is an easy fix.

If you have Ultimate / VIP be sure to pick up the lake house for free (normally $5m), it doubles forzathon rewards.

So the Expansion bundle is $35 and the Ultimate edition bundle is $50. If people want to know. This is before the Gamepass 10% discount if you have that.

I dont really understand the car unlock progress in this game. Surprisingly, it let me buy the Ferrari 488 and then I immediately used it in a race? Im at the beginning of the game and that seems like a mid-game car. Does that mean there's no real use to the less powerful cars because you can buy the better cars from the beginning?
There are classes in the game. X, S2, S1, A, B, C, D. when you race with a S1 car for example, you will compete against other S1 cars only.

people should consider if they don’t do it already is to at least unlock the influence bonus for all their cars at the car mastery section. Gives you various influence boost which leads to money payouts or wheel spins

Some also have cheap wheelspins on offer too.

It's not "simulation", it is actually just 1:1 input, the "assisted" steering is terrible as the car won't instantly react to your stick movement.
"Assisted" means the car basically turns for you unless you like put the stick in the opposite direction.

IIRC, there are three settings : "Assisted", "Normal", "Simulation".
  • "Assisted" means your steering input will be heavily modified by the game to try to correspond to the ideal driving line (as shown by the game, even if you choose to hide it).
  • "Normal" means lots of dampening to help prevent spinning, but no "artificial steering".
  • "Simulation" means minimal dampening. But it's still not a perfect 1:1 mapping (on a controller anyway).
Edit: Assists in Forza games usually obey a simple rule: The heavier the assist, the safer you are. But there is a but: The heavier the assist, the slower you are. And screw "realism" in the process.

Last edited:
Downloaded on GamePass and bought the VIP upgrade. Really trying to avoid buying the expansion pass this time around unless I REALLY play a lot of this game. I bought the expansion pass for Horizon 3 and barely touched the content.

"Assisted" means the car basically turns for you unless you like put the stick in the opposite direction.

IIRC, there are three settings : "Assisted", "Normal", "Simulation".
  • "Assisted" means your steering input will be heavily modified by the game to try to correspond to the ideal driving line (as shown by the game, even if you choose to hide it).
  • "Normal" means lots of dampening to help prevent spinning, but no "artificial steering".
  • "Simulation" means minimal dampening. But it's still not a perfect 1:1 mapping (on a controller anyway).
Is assisted new in 4? I only remember earlier horizon and FM had normal and simulation.

people should consider if they don’t do it already is to at least unlock the influence bonus for all their cars at the car mastery section. Gives you various influence boost which leads to money payouts or wheel spins

Some also have cheap wheelspins on offer too.
I was doing that and I deeply regret it.

Some Forza Edition cars are unlocked using Skill Points.

Is assisted new in 4? I only remember earlier horizon and FM had normal and simulation.
"Assisted" is old ass now. Can't really remember when it was first introduced. It probably dates back from Forza 4 (FM4). But there may have been episodes where this option wasn't present (I doubt it though).

IIRC all those "auto driving" assists were introduced in FM4 with the "kinect driving" stuff, and AFAIK were kept since then.

Edit: But of course I don't use them, so I can't guarantee there wasn't an episode where they removed it.