France's Macron causes stir over 'raised middle finger' photo

French President Emmanuel Macron has caused a stir after appearing in a photo alongside a man who is making an obscene gesture with his middle finger.

The image, captured during Mr Macron's visit to the French Caribbean island of Saint-Martin a year after Hurricane Irma hit, was posted on social media.

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen described the post as "unforgivable".

Mr Macron defended the photo, saying: "I love all of the [French] republic's children, whatever their troubles".

Ms Le Pen carried the image in a tweet:

Mr Macron said that the image shared over the weekend had been taken out of context and that one of the young men featured had recently been released from prison.

The 40-year-old French leader said he then urged the former convict pictured to "stop messing around" and to avoid making "more mistakes" in life.

"Your mother deserves better than that", he said.

Defending the men, Mr Macron said they had carried a "physically handicapped" girl to meet him after the picture was taken, Agence France-Presse reports.

They were "capable of doing that because I showed confidence in them, because I respected them. That's our republic," he said.
Full article here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45711770

Stay mad, Le Pen.

But what is France-Era's opinion of his presidency?
It’s a bit divided: some think he’s Satan incarnate, whose only goal is to break down every social protection and transform France into a uber free-market paradise.

Others find him to be a breath of fresh air because he’s trying to cut the asinine layers of red tape in French bureaucracy.

From what I gather, there's no controversy to begin with really, people are mostly awkwardly amused by the situation while the far-right nuts are going off their tits. Same old shit.

That’s actually a pretty good reply from Macron.

fuck LePen.

He did deserve that after the Banella thing though.
Yeah sure, but one controversy per day seems a bit much.
He sure is not immune to critics but i'm really tired of the constant outrage about anything he does/says.

Le Pen is a fucking piece of shit and the idea of her being offended by this is utterly hysterical, if anything she's offended by black people sharing a photo with a white person.

At first the title gave me the impression it was Macron that gave the finger. When i realized it wasn’t i was struggling to find the problem here. Then i saw it was Le Pen who was outraged. Explains so much.

Americans.

Can you imagine the biggest scandal involving your president being him taking a picture next to someone flipping the bird?

It's obviously not tan suit levels of outrage inducing, but man.....

And then they kissed.

I mean seriously, they look intense here.
Tr.ump bromance jealousy in 3.....2....1....

Good God it is so blatant why they are making a fucking fuss about this. Surprised I haven't heard "THUG" or whatever dogwhistle the right uses in France.

I do love Macron's response, though.

Americans.

Can you imagine the biggest scandal involving your president being him taking a picture next to someone flipping the bird?

It's obviously not tan suit levels of outrage inducing, but man.....
Clinton went on Arsenio that one time and played the saxophone.

He interacted with them! *shudder*

I mean seriously what is this shit

Valerie Boyer, a member of the centre-right party, The Republicans, tweeted: "Behave yourself... Mr President".
It’s Macron’s fault that one dude flipped the bird? What?

Yeah, LePen is mad because of this photo but we don't get to be mad when she is posing with Neo-Nazis (and she definitely did).

Totally logical.

I just find this picture cringey as hell.
This whole show in Saint Martin was really reeking of "see ? I'm not arrogant, I'm caring and human" communication bullshit.