Games that get the adrenaline pumping?

I'm currently replaying DMC3's DMD mode for the first time since I was 13 or 14 years old (I'm 19 now), and jesus christ does this game know how to kick your ass and force you to get better. I must've replayed Mission 5 at least 20 times to beat it (Ended up getting an A which is why I kept restarting the mission) and I really legitimately used Royal Guard for the whole mission because it was the most optimal.

The visceral energy in the yell I let out when i finally beat those two assholes was a feeling I forgot how it felt like, genuine joy and adrenaline coursing through my veins. What other games give you that satisfaction?

Can't find the right gif for it but playing Bayonetta on non-stop infinite climax for the last Jeanne boss battle. Shit is glorious and cemented Jeanne as one of my favorite video game rivals.

Last edited:
Dragonball FighterZ gets this from me.

So much bombastic stuff going on, but all the chaos has a Smash Bros-like organization to it.

And especially since when it first came out the Dragonball fans got mixed in with the Arcsys fans so I could actually win a few games.

Day Z

It was in a league all of its own in terms of adrenaline rush. No other game has ever even come remotely close.

Getting into a firefight meant you were risking many hours, days or even weeks of progress, and you could die in a single shot.

I wouldn't say it was a good game. It was 99.9% boring lows and 00.1% tense highs, but by god those highs were almost worth it.

Sunset Overdrive makes me want to chug three Red Bulls, smash the cans on my head, and start a mosh pit in my living room while blaring the punk rock soundtrack. So yeah, it gets my adrenaline going.

No game gets my heart racing like Just Shapes & Beats

It's so unlike any other game I've played. It's more like a platformer than a shmup or bullet hell, I love it so much.

Last edited:
I'm gonna mix this up and say the Project Diva games. Whenever I see I'm close to Perfect Comboing a song. Missing/Safe-ing a note is actually sweet relief.

Can't find the right gif for it but playing Bayonetta on non-stop infinite climax for the last Jeanne boss battle. Shit is glorious and cemented Jeanne as one of my favorite video game rivals.
This is legitimately one of the best boss fights of all time. Might even be my favorite. I haven’t even played it on the highest difficulty Everything about it is so good - the epicness, showcase of the game’s fluid and amazing combat, music, rivalry of the two combatants.... hell I didn’t even mind the QTEs. How could you not like throwing huge missiles back and forth?

This is legitimately one of the best boss fights of all time. Might even be my favorite. I haven’t even played it on the highest difficulty Everything about it is so good - the epicness, showcase of the game’s fluid and amazing combat, music, rivalry of the two combatants.... hell I didn’t even mind the QTEs. How could you not like throwing huge missiles back and forth?
For real and in all honesty. The game peaked for me at this fight. The stuff after Jeannes final fight is fun but nothing tops a 1v1 with her.

It’s fighting games for me, no question.
DBFZ has been my drug of choice since launch, but the rush I got from that SCV beta this past weekend has my hopes high for diving back into the online soul calibur scene when it finally launches. There’s just something special about beating someone while using a horribly slapped together create-a-character in those games.

Otherwise it’s Bayo, Revengeance on the higher difficulties, and the Souls Series. Never got the same rush of adrenaline from the Devil May Cry games as from those three, but I’ve got high hopes for 5 based on the footage that’s come out so far.

bloody palace/angel slayer also

For real and in all honesty. The game peaked for me at this fight. The stuff after Jeannes final fight is fun but nothing tops a 1v1 with her.
it's so fuckin good

also generally anything where i have sufficient evade options to not get hit and the challenge becomes 'don't even let them touch you'

Rainbow Six Siege, 1 vs 5.
It's this. Not even in 1v5, even just normal. Siege gets me going unlike pretty much anything else I've played.

I don't really get the adrenaline from DMC or DMC like games, usually it's more like a flow state than adrenaline rush.

Also, after reading through the thread I have to agree to add, as others have said, Hotline Miami. When you have that music pumping and really get into the swing of things. Phew.

I get some adrenaline pumping when I'm swinging around the city in Spider-Man PS4 (I haven't played the other Spider-Man games yet.)

I can feel the momentum and it gets me pumped to keep swinging to my next destination and kick butt.

Aside from online games where the adrenaline comes from competition, the only game that I can remember that had my heart racing was Doom. That game is crazy good.

Alien Isolation was quite good at it. That game was really really amazing. If it had VR, it would be harder for me to play it than RE:7 :D