How do I interview for new jobs while still working my current one?

I have colitis so sometimes I need to go to the doctors, get blood work and stool samples quite a bit. My current employer as of this week is unwilling to let me use PTO and is forcing me to flex the time throughout the week. They want me billing to a customer 100% going forward. Today I had to go to the doctors and I couldn't use any PTO so I have to make up the time I missed this week or on the weekend.

I find this very unreasonable and says a lot my boss if she doesn't value my health over billing to a customer. Could I flex the hours for the doctors appointment? Absolutely. But it's just the mentality that they won't let me is unfair and putting the company before my health.

So I am going to start looking for new jobs. My health comes first and my doctor agreed since it was also creating tons of stress. But how am I supposed to get interviews if I can't use PTO? I don't want to quit unless I have something locked in.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Add interviews to the mornings /afternoons when y’ have other appointments. Try to schedule interviews before or after your current work hours. Threaten to sue for discrimination; if you qualify for FMLA use that but do the paperwork absolutely perfectly or it can be a problem. Check your state laws on pto usage, although there may be none to protect your rights.

how the fuck can you not use your PTO lmao. If it's a major issue just schedule things around a weekend and just say you want a long weekend. That's what I did.

I just kept using my PTO to get 3 day weekends which one of them involved an interview.

Yeah you have to use things like doctor appts and having to pick up family from the airport (lying).

Or if you can set the interview at like 730am or 430pm.

Lying. Longer lunch breaks. Shit like that. It's a real fucking pain in the ass, and its absurd that jobs like you to have a job and neglect it, so you can get their job. Cause that looks better than not having a job. Apparently.

Lying. Longer lunch breaks. Shit like that. It's a real fucking pain in the ass, and its absurd that jobs like you to have a job and neglect it, so you can get their job. Cause that looks better than not having a job. Apparently.
Yeah I've never understood that either. It's like youre a mental case if you say you have savings and wanted to actually focus on finding a good fit.

US is hyper work focused and if you aren't working for even a few months there's something wrong with you. It's legitimately better to pick up a barista/counter service/serving job than spend time on finding a job that actually makes sense. Then you can say you legitimately resigned to find something better but at least you had something as a backup.

If you have work you can do from home just schedule your interview during your lunch and however long it takes just make up the hours at home in the evening.

What concerns me more than finding time to interview is companies doing reference checks with your employer. If they don't end up hiring you then your company knows you're looking for other jobs.

How do you prevent future employers from contacting your last supervisors when they end up being your new supervisors?

I have the opposite problem as OP. I have various stomach issues, I hate my job, stress caused by it probably causes half these issues to trigger, but are very understanding of my issues and doesn't dock me PTO time as long when I go to a doctor after 12:00pm. No other job would do that for me.