I am losing it at this line from Spykids 2

Do you think God stays in heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he's created?

• Yes

Votes: 55 47.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Wait hold on Machete is in this series?!

Votes: 57 48.7%

• Total voters

Like how the fuck did this scene find its way into this movie. And how the fuck did I forget about this happening? Watched the shit out of these movies growing up and all I remember is Spy Kids 3 and the thumb monsters from the first movie.

Clearly the writer got a bit bored and wanted to cram in something weighty in this kids movie. The real surprise, I forgot Buschemi was in this movie.

Theecliff

Self-Requested Ban
funny thing is, it’s actually a great line. but yeah, how the fuck did it end up in spy kids 2 of all things? it’s almost like the writers had a bet with someone to sneak something existential into the script and no one noticed

Whoa whoa whoa. Please explain.
There is nothing to explain, they are both Robert Rodriguez movies that features a character named Machete played by the same actor who has lots of knowledge of weapons and has great reflexes even when sleeping

Machete is in the same continuity as Spy Kids and THIS is what surprises you?
LMAO I forgot about that! Fuck I remember Danny Trejo was in this series but I didn't realize he was playing Machete.

Clearly the writer got a bit bored and wanted to cram in something weighty in this kids movie. The real surprise, I forgot Buschemi was in this movie.
I like to imagine that for one moment Buschemi also forgot that while he was in this scene.

It's a good line, but an odd one for the movie. I've honestly never seen Spy Kids 2 so I haven't actually seen the immediate follow-up to the line until now, but I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's a little existential for a kids movie, but is immediately followed up with a line like "why are you looking at me like i'm crazy, i'm not crazy, really", so it's meant to be a little out of place.

I'm more disturbed by the body horror abominations in this universe.

Those are human beings, victims whose altered bodies must have all the right blood vessels, nerve endings, functioning organs (Minion needed 3D glasses for every set of eyes), and so on. They called for help by speaking backwards on the children's program - every second of their lives must have been torment. Alexander Minion even stayed like that, didn't revert.

It's fucked up.

Last edited:
There is nothing to explain, they are both Robert Rodriguez movies that features a character named Machete played by the same actor who has lots of knowledge of weapons and has great reflexes even when sleeping
"There is nothing to explain."
*explains completely*

Those are human beings, victims whose altered bodies must have all the right blood vessels, nerve endings, functioning organs (Minion needed 3D glasses for every set of eyes), and so on. They called for help by speaking backwards on the children's program - every second of their lives must have been torment. Alexander Minion even stayed like that, didn't revert.

It's fucked up.
Man I had blocked out my memories for the guy with 4 faces. Damn this thread is making me want to rewatch these movies haha.

Wait, they made a Spy Kids 2?
Oh not only did they make a Spy Kids 2. They even made Spy Kids 3-D.

Which has this gem

Spy Kids 1-3 (haven't seen 4) all have tortured artist characters whose actions drive the main conflict. In the first movie, Floop's real motivation is to create quality children's programming, but falls in with people who want to use his genius for nefarious purposes. In the second, Romero also wants to make a product that entertains children, minature zoos, but it goes horribly wrong, hence the existential crisis. And in the third, Toymaker creates a VR game in a (nonsensical) plot to escape his cyber prison.

I imagine that Robert Rodriguez drew upon his own anxietes about creating entertainment for children as inspiration.

Last edited:
The Spy Kids movies, and to an extent their spiritual successor Shark Boy & Lava Girl, are all suuuuper super weird yet still ...enjoyable? There's something almost nightmarish about them which seems to float at "unsettling" instead of ever crossing all the way into "scary" but then they're also filled with weird adult shit like the Machete stuff and the clip from the OP. And then on top of that since they're Robert Rodriguez movies the casts are like... way better than they have any right being.

I don't see anything wrong with that line. I suppose it is a bit out of place for a kids movie, but it's perfectly in line with Steve Buscemi's character in that movie (well, from what I remember of the movie anyway)

The funniest part is when those two kids fall into the camel shit.
Now this is what weirds me out. I completely forgot that this was a thing, and I can't believe they had that happen (complete with one of the kids actually getting some of the shit in their mouths). I'd say it's kinda gross and out of place, but then I vaguely remember there being a joke about the sister still wearing diapers in the first movie sooo....

It's fucked up.
Tbh I always loved the body horror stuff, even as a kid. I think I dislike Spy Kids 3D partially because it wasn't as weird as the other two films (just had the lame and typical "videogames in movies" shtick)

I don't see anything wrong with that line. I suppose it is a bit out of place for a kids movie, but it's perfectly in line with Steve Buscemi's character in that movie (well, from what I remember of the movie anyway)

Now this is what weirds me out. I completely forgot that this was a thing, and I can't believe they had that happen (complete with one of the kids actually getting some of the shit in their mouths). I'd say it's kinda gross and out of place, but then I vaguely remember there being a joke about the sister still wearing diapers in the first movie sooo....

Tbh I always loved the body horror stuff, even as a kid. I think I dislike Spy Kids 3D partially because it wasn't as weird as the other two films (just had the lame and typical "videogames in movies" shtick)
At least it has this scene.

At least it has this scene.

I legit do not remember this (or that the bad guy of Spy Kids 3 was played by Sylvester Stallone)

...theres Spy Kids 4?
Yes

I don't remember anything about it, except that I think that Carmen and Juni came back (as adults). Oh and and there was this absolutely fucking bizarre opening sequence which had this pregnant superspy woman chasing, grapple hooking and beating up people