Inktober 2018 |OT| Embrace the darkness within you, it's just Micron pens

Raging Spaniard

Artist at EA Star Wars
Verified

Its been a year already? Trump is still President? ANYWAYS. Hi, I'm Raging Spaniard and I'll be your host for another year of this ink filled madness.

Hello and welcome to the 2nd annual installment of #inktober here on ResetEra! You may remember us from such threads as the Inktober 2017 thread or from a different age that used to be cool but now is infested with people I have no interest in! Yay drama!

Inktober is an art challenge were you are encouraged to make one ink (traditional or digital) based piece a day during the month of October. It was started by Jake Parker, here is what he has to share this year, per the official site:

Jake Parker said:
Every October, artists all over the world take on the Inktober drawing challenge by doing one ink drawing a day the entire month.

I created Inktober in 2009 as a challenge to improve my inking skills and develop positive drawing habits. It has since grown into a worldwide endeavor with thousands of artists taking on the challenge every year.

Anyone can do Inktober, just pick up a pen and start drawing.
Inktober rules:

1) Make a drawing in ink (you can do a pencil under-drawing if you want).

2) Post it*

3) Hashtag it with #inktober and #inktober2018

4) Repeat

Note: you can do it daily, or go the half-marathon route and post every other day, or just do the 5K and post once a week. What ever you decide, just be consistent with it. Inktober is about growing and improving and forming positive habits, so the more you’re consistent the better.

Purchase your official inktober shirt here, more official resources here

Shameless Self Promoting:

Since I made the thread I'm going to be a total dick and sneak in my Twitter and Tumblr pages where you'll be able to find my entries (as well as this thread, obviously) Last year I had a Persona 5 theme, this year its Monster Hunter!

If you are running low on ideas, here is the official prompt list you can use to help

Its important to remember that this is ALL OPTIONAL. If you want to skip a day, that's fine! If you want to do something non-traditional, that's great! This is all just an excuse for our little artist community to grown and thrive, we can get to know each other better and help each other fulfill our artistic goals. Do not take this too seriously, the rules are there to help you along the way, not to restrain you!

F.A.Q

Mailbox said:
So digital art is acceptable as well?
Don't really have the proper inking tools for analog.
Absolutely! In this day and age there are a million ways to create art! Jake is a traditional analog artist, but many digital only artists participate in inktober and have a great time doing so.

I'm really behind on this, should I quit?
Hell no! Even if you only make one drawing, that's way better than zero drawings. We all have lives and cant always afford the time. Keep your own pace, there's no pressure here.

What tools should I use?
Pretty much anything ink based, even a ball point pen can give you some amazing results, however here is a handy list that might help you. For covering BIG areas with black I personally use a brush pen (this is my favorite and a bargain at that price) or even leave it blank and fill it in Photoshop (not too much to learn from filling darks, its a personal preference)

Some highlights from the 2017 thread, remember that we had a thriving 2017 thread in the old place, so this got a bit hijacked towards the end :(

*High fives Raging Spaniard! First post! (I think)
I was sticking to instagram and Twitter for my inktober posts. Thanks for bringing the thread back!

I haven't had a chance to do much Inktober this year. Last night, at about five AM, this digital guy was as close as I've gotten. The new symmetry tool in PS is pretty rad.
Other resourceful Era Art threads:
PhotoEra - One photo per day
Drawing a Day
The Art Pub

Thats all! Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Another year! Thanks for the mention Raging Spaniard !

I am getting a bit of a late start this year, but I'll catch up for sure!
As of now my theme this year will be titled "Warriors" I want to keep it open-ended. For the last seven days, I might do fanart of some of my favorite warriors.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work!

Stayed up late to do this. It's been awhile since I worked with ink. Luckily I found my old brush pens, one of which was dying and gave an ink wash effect. I used whiteout which I don't know if it's against the spirit of the challenge.

If it's too rough to decipher it's "A woman in a kimono fighting a poisonous water serpent in a stream under sakura trees, stabbing it through the head"-

4"x 6", brush pens, mutiliners and whiteout. 2 hours.

Last edited:
Day 1/31

I did say fanart, but I narrowed it even more to the theme of just 31 scenes set in the Discworld. This first one doesn't really exist, I know wizards were poisoning each other in Colour of Magic, but there are no specific scenes where that happens iirc.

Can I submit abstract entries or does my drawing have to look like something ? : o
Absolutely! Who says you have to draw concrete figures? The Inktober police? As someone who used to do abstract paintings in undergrad (I still miss it and want to do more of it again), go for it. I love abstract stuff because you don't have to think about any rules such as anatomy and proportion.

My problem with the yearly Inktober stuff is that I never finish all 30 days. It's a miracle if I can draw for 30 days straight and set daily reminders on my phone to do it. I find it hard to keep up with the pace if I fall off. New York Comic Con weekend always throws a wrench into things along with other things.

Sticking to a theme rather than drawing whatever I want (usually people in public places/urban sketching or my brother) would help. I draw people in public places on my phone (Galaxy Note 3) to entertain myself. But I would like to see if I do portraits in black and white or something. I usually end up lurking in this thread though. I'll see what I come up with. I always have images in my head to draw but get scared to place them on paper without any reference images.

Yay, thread’s here and so are some day 1 pics! I won’t be able to do daily drawings because of homework but I should be able to do a few every weekend! Hopefully they’ll be better than my stuff from last year >.>

I'm not sure if it's against the rules to use a painting by a famous artists as a model, but it's what I felt like doing. I haven't drawn anything for quite a while, but I'm quite happy with what I did.

I AM going to participate this year , i started drawing every week since August , thinking about drawing on a more serious way , so i AM trying to learn and improve, today
i Will just post a 10 minute drawing i made because i have not much time today and i AM tired. I did something diferent i hope you guys dont mind , white ink from a garbage white pen that i think its ink is garbage .

Almost forgot, so here's a super quick mono print.. I don't have any paper right now, so had to use a little paper bag.

edit: whoops, had to draw another one, after looking at prompt list.

this was the old one

Last edited:

Kagari

潜在能力解放
I AM going to participate this year , i started drawing every week since August , thinking about drawing on a more serious way , so i AM trying to learn and improve, today
i Will just post a 10 minute drawing i made because i have not much time today and i AM tired. I did something diferent i hope you guys dont mind , white ink from a garbage white pen that i think its ink is garbage .

Very cute.

Sure why not, I'm gonna do this again (I did Inktober back in 2016 on the old site). While I've never been particularly good at drawing, I've been slacking a little too much this year. Seems like a good chance to try and brush up on my "'"""skills""""" and to also draw some characters I really like (I'm gonna try and to do all fan art this year, instead of bouncing around and doing whatever pops into my head like last time)

Day 1
Mavi (Luminous Arc)

Drew fan art of a character from a game called Luminous Arc. I don't really like the game these days (it's a pretty mediocre SRPG overall) but I've always loved this character, Mavi, for her awesome design (with her cool af tree fist and leaf scarf) and for being a badass Punch Wizard / Witch

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Day 1/31

I did say fanart, but I narrowed it even more to the theme of just 31 scenes set in the Discworld. This first one doesn't really exist, I know wizards were poisoning each other in Colour of Magic, but there are no specific scenes where that happens iirc.
Great choice for a theme! I wish there was more Discworld fan art in general.

(First time inktoberist here) Some sort of mushroom thingy doodled on an envelope

Almost forgot, so here's a super quick mono print.. I don't have any paper right now, so had to use a little paper bag.

edit: whoops, had to draw another one, after looking at prompt list.

this was the old one
I like those :)

Oh hey. I was looking for this thread. Last year this and a friend participating in the event got me into drawing again for the first time in years. I kinda hated all of last year's stuff except a few select pieces so I didn't really share with anybody and just critiqued my own stuff myself (also don't be fooled by that happy ending, I haven't drawn in months, lol). This year, however, I'm going to try to not be a baby and actually post my stuff for broader critique.

So! Day one. Poisonous.

Here it is:

And then I tried to scan it. Here's how that came out.
Started with 600dpi, and then modified the levels-- lowering the top of the input and the mid of the output. Any tips? I feel like it came out worse than the picture on its own, but that might just be zoom.

This is my first time trying stippling, and for once I tried to get reasonably serious about shading with that piece of cloth. I also explored a little more boldly with variable line thickness. I think it looks good? But there's sitll some noticeable errors and places where the lines didn't go quite as well as I'd have liked them to. I ended up using corrective ink.

I dunno how to ask this, but please don't hesistate to comment. I'm posting this stuff to be critiqued and to learn from other people.

EDIT: Spoilered for size. Jeez. Gonna have to resize these before uploading next time.

Last edited:
My girlfriend is doing Drawlloween instead of Inktober this year, but what she's working on looks really cool. Idk if I'm allowed to post it her stuff here, but if I can i'd love to show off her stuff!

Took the entire day to think of a theme =P

Went with "smash bros characters in the official inktober ruleset" because that game has a bazilion of characters and we only have 30 days so we can make it work

I made it to the OP! Yasss

Im gonna try to stick with digital tools that emulate inking for this Inktober. I love traditional inking but the month is gonna be a busy one.

Here is my first for the month. Lets see if I can keep up! (if the image is too big let me know and Ill put it in quotes)

Best thread returns!

Not sure I'll be able to maintain the pace of drawing everyday because it's gonna be crazy busy this month, but I'll give it a try... No theme, just wingin' it.

Day 1 - Diya from Butterfly Soup (which I literally played for the first time yesterday...)