Introducing GiftBot! Want to run a giveaway on ResetEra? GiftBot is our gift to you!

It is hypothetically possible though. The original Modbot could exclude junior members (or whatever the hell new members with only a few posts to their name were called back then) and even flip things around to enable juniors-only giveaways.

While Stump did give a few notable members of the SteamGAF community modesque access to ModBot for giveaway purposes, we weren't privy to the particular details that govern the cooldown system. All I can say is that claiming a game would impose a 15-minute cooldown and the time would increase on some sort of exponential scale from there.
Ah, shame. Worth a shot though!

After a week+ of analyzing usage under the new cooldown period, the gift distribution is much more normal. Giftbot abuse has been significantly curbed and in many cases eliminated.

As an experiment and after listening to your feedback, I've reduced the cooldown period from 4 weeks to 3 weeks. I'll also be experimenting with other cooldown strategies, some recommended here, and will keep you updated as features roll out.

deltaplus is it possible to give any sort of indication that the GiftBot is down? Maybe a PM back that the giveaway couldn't be created due to Giftbot being down. Someone created a giveaway but since the giveaway couldn't be created he decided to give away games in the old way. When the giftbot was up again the giveaway was created, some entered the giveaways and got duped keys.

After a week+ of analyzing usage under the new cooldown period, the gift distribution is much more normal. Giftbot abuse has been significantly curbed and in many cases eliminated.

As an experiment and after listening to your feedback, I've reduced the cooldown period from 4 weeks to 3 weeks. I'll also be experimenting with other cooldown strategies, some recommended here, and will keep you updated as features roll out.
Idea: With this 3 week cooldown (its good thing), there will be maybe some "less worthy" games that no one takes, maybe make system that if no one takes the code in like 24h after the timer ended then its free-for-all.

Last edited:
Can I close a giveaway after a certain period?

I made a few raffles, but no one claimed some titles, not even after they entered the first come, first served period, or after reposting them several times.
So, I was wondering if I can close those active giveaways, so I can offer them some other way?
thanks

Can I close a giveaway after a certain period?

I made a few raffles, but no one claimed some titles, not even after they entered the first come, first served period, or after reposting them several times.
So, I was wondering if I can close those active giveaways, so I can offer them some other way?
thanks
Currently, no, this isn't possible.

Can't seem to see the answer, although I'm sure I've seen it mentioned before - Is it possible to withdraw or cancel an entry?

So, a few observations about cooldown periods and GiftBot giveaways...

Parasites aside, we all hate the idea that some people abused the giveaway system by basically spamming entries.

It goes without saying that every forum member has an individual countdown timer.

I think it’s probably fair to say that Steam codes are the things most commonly given away.

This is somewhat anecdotal, but it seems to me that a lot of members have become reluctant to enter low-value giveaways in case they inadvertently deny themselves from a chance of winning a more desirable prize in the near future.

And then I remembered that the original ModBot could quiz the Steam database and identify the value of the game being given away. Games that were above $30 or so were marked as being hot; games with a lousy Metacritic score had a poop-emoji badge of dishonour.​

...all of which made me think, why not set the countdown period to the dollar value of the prize that was won? Somebody who was lucky enough to claim something genuinely worthwhile might have to sit things out for a month or more, whereas somebody who picked up something cheap and cheerful could be back in action before the end of the week.

Would that encourage participation in GiftBot giveaways whilst curbing abuse of the system?

FYI, giftbot is currently down, dealing with some database issues. Will update when the issues have been resolved. Apologies for the inconvenience.

deltaplus

Administrator
Update on db issues: the fix is more involved than I thought and that combined with IRL stuff has delayed this a bit. I'll work on this a bit more this weekend and update y'all by Sunday at the latest.

deltaplus

Administrator
It will show up automatically after it's up. After this weekend's maintenance, it got pushed back a bit - I'll try to get it back up tonight.

Ravidrath

Lab Zero Games
Verified
Any plans to add support for giving away lots of keys for the same product?

Ideally I'd like to upload a bank of codes and everyone can apply for them, and then they're randomly given out.

Rather than asking people to bid on 20 different unique entries.