Kojima says play MGS3 first if you're new to the series

Play in release order. Kojima doesn't know best considering how MGS 4 turned out.

Actually, just play through all Solid Snake games and stop at MGS 2. That’s where the series peaked.

MGS3 itself is a pastiche of the series. It’s like pushing people to experience Robocop by watching parodies of it.

Not only that but it was 30 fps gameplay, worse level designs and some of the worst bosses of the series. MGS isn’t about watching a james bond knock-off

Starting with the best entry in the series is a bad idea. Go chronological and feel the disappointment so many of us felt going from the damn near perfection of MGS3 to the mess that is MGS4.

I totally understand where he’s coming from on that and couldn’t be more against it. Snake Eater is far and away my favorite in the entire series; but it gets there by having two amazing games behind it that it calls back to; at least one of which is way less refined in terms of controls and visuals. Start with 1, then 2, 3, Peace Walker, V, and 4 or 4, Peace Walker, V... And then when you’ve had enough of it go back and get mad at MG1 and 2 for a while.

If you play 3 first it’s all going to be downhill after that. Metal gear solid is great as well it’s just a little archaic by today’s standards.

I see where he's coming from. Before 3, the Metal Gear series was constantly doing soft reboots with new stories laid on top of it, trying to pass 'em off as new games. Anything after 3 is of questionable quality, and I personally don't like a single one of them. I'd tell a newcomer to play just 3 too, but then part way with the series afterwards.

I tried starting playing MGS3 seriously for the first time but it is a bit dated today with too much focus on eating animals. And the stages are too difficult it is impossible to get through without being spotted compared to MGS1 which i played for the first time. I want to love the games more than I do. I haven't touched MGS2 for a good while but I would rather suggest you start with MGS1 or MGS2 (if you read up on how to get to start on the tanker).
Maybe Kojima is referring to the fact that MGS3 HD includes the old MSX games MG1 and MG2 which are nice to try out at least. But MGS3 felt more crazy than MGS1 and MGS2 to me. (Haven't finished it)

It's the best one and the end of the series' great run. The two after weren't as good.

Ideally you'd play MGS first, but Snake Eater isn't a bad place to start either I guess

yeah no. release order is the best. beating a newer game in the series then going back to an older one will always be mechanically jarring, even if they are same gen games lie mgs3 and 2.

Does any version of MGS1 even properly support analog sticks?
Any PS1 release, whether physical or digital. It's just one of those games were you had to manually enable it every time you started the game.

I think Kojima's logic is flawed because on a base level, MGS3 uses the same control scheme as MGS1, just way more convoluted with so many moves and the game kinda expects you to read the manual beforehand to know how the game mechanics work. (Or listen to literally hours of optional codec conversations right after starting the game.)

MGS1 and MGS2 are the same, unique control schemes and not much in a way of a proper tutorial, the games just throw you into the deep end, but they're still much simpler games than MGS3 and with a basic knowledge of these titles learning how to play MGS3 becomes much easier.

Frankly, you only need to play MGS3.
I was going to say this. If you are in doubt and only want to play one MGS game, play MGS3 (HD version or Subsistence on PS2). However, if you think you could really like the series, play 1, 2 and 3. Very different beasts with a lot in common, if that makes any sense.

Mind you, making sense when talking about MGS is a bit of a slippery slope :-P Gotta love the quirkiness of it all, and I'm in the "it all makes sense" boat.

I tried starting playing MGS3 seriously for the first time but it is a bit dated today with too much focus on eating animals. And the stages are too difficult it is impossible to get through without being spotted compared to MGS1 which i played for the first time. I want to love the games more than I do. I haven't touched MGS2 for a good while but I would rather suggest you start with MGS1 or MGS2 (if you read up on how to get to start on the tanker).
Maybe Kojima is referring to the fact that MGS3 HD includes the old MSX games MG1 and MG2 which are nice to try out at least. But MGS3 felt more crazy than MGS1 and MGS2 to me. (Haven't finished it)
Are you half-running (halfway analog) instead of walking (D-pad)? I couldn't believe I finished MGS3 twice without realising the D-pad is for walking. It made it so much harder, and it was a bit easier in subsequent runs after that. Crawling a lot will help as well.

If it's still too hard, no shame in setting it to easy or super-duper easy.

Kojima's aim seems to be the best first impression. And yes, 3 is by far the best for that.

But if you're gonna do them all anyway, just go in release order.

Look, I love Kojima and Metal Gear.

But he's wrong on this.

There are things discussed in MGS3 that won't make sense unless you play the games in release order.

And there's a series timeline before the end credits that spoils "future" events.

This tweet is 5 years old.

I bet if you ask him today he'd say MGSV because it has the best gameplay feel. That seems like what he was basing his recommendation on.

I've been playing through the series in releaae order, just finished MGS3 a while ago.

It's the strongest entry in the series by far at this point. If you plan to play all of them, then i wouldn't recommend starting with it, it would make playing earlier games more difficult to enjoy.

MGS 3 is the best one, why put yourself off by having to put up with the jank of the older titles or get bogged down with the story craziness. 3 controls pretty well and is nicely self contained with modernish controls.

hmmmm considering the tweet date , Maybe he said that from a perspective of a newcomer who wants to play MGSV so he made a shortcut for him/her to get used of the controls and get the very basic lore necessary for the nearly non-existent story of MGSV , that the only logical thing in my mind , His tweet to me looks like " MGS3 is enough to get ready before MGSV "

Other than that , Go with release order of course , the series is heavy with References and easter eggs that it would be a huge shame if you miss it , Also it is one of the most Video game series that depends on your knowledge of the previous entries , U will feel confused playing MGS4 without playing MGS1 and MGS2

Last edited:
Not sure why a thread was made on a 5+ year old tweet but he is wrong. I think the insanity of a story works best in release order. Also mgs2 is the best game of all time.

My playing memory feels off cuz I do remember needing to enable it but, it never really felt like true analog, but rather a dpad to analog solution.
Isn't that what most (all?) PS1 games did? Only looking around in first person mode is actually analog, because you can look around gradually instead of just snapping your head all the way in one direction like with the d-pad. (Doesn't affect the sniper rifle because the camera works different there.)

The PS3 and HD versions play really badly. The controls are a mess and the countdown timers after being caught are brutal and make getting caught far too frustrating. The balance is totally wrong.
The 3DS version has a bad framerate, but it solves both of those issues. Overall it's my favourite version, and it's such a pity we'll never get a truly definitive version which incorporates those improvements.

Thought it was a recent tweet, obviously he can't talk about Metal Gear publicly anymore it seems.

I would play MGS in release order though, control being archaic in MGS1 doesn't bother me.

The PS3 and HD versions play really badly. The controls are a mess and the countdown timers after being caught are brutal and make getting caught far too frustrating. The balance is totally wrong.
Ok, that could be the reason why it's so frustrating to be caught. the problem with being caught in MGS-series is you can't try again but have to restart the game and load from often a earlier part. Saving after getting certain items won't be affected - after you load they aren't there.

What he says makes more sense than "just play them in release order lol". I think a lot of people simply do not realize how difficult it is for new comers to the series to get over the outdated camera and controls of the first game and second game. Modern gaming conveniences will make 1 and 2 an absolute chore for new comers to play through even though they are actually quite easy games on the normal difficulty. So, from the perspective of the creator of the series, it would make sense that he'd introduce new comers to something that they are far more likely to stick with than a game they'll play for 10 minutes, go "nah that's too old" and then drop without a second thought.

Not everyone is able to look past the old visuals, top down camera, and clunky controls, you know?

Ok, that could be the reason why it's so frustrating to be caught. the problem with being caught in MGS-series is you can't try again but have to restart the game and load from often a earlier part. Saving after getting certain items won't be affected - after you load they aren't there.
Yeah, exactly. The caution phase lasts 90 seconds, which is ridiculous and doing anything other than hiding and waiting it out is incredibly hard. I can't remember exactly how long it lasts on 3DS, but I don't think it's any longer than 20-30 seconds, which feels much more reasonable and more encouraging to stick it out rather than purposely dying to try again.