Louis C.K. performs another surprise set to unhappy audience

My feelings on this, he doesn’t address them, he gets shit. He addresses them on stage, and people will give him shit for addressing them while telling jokes i.e. making light of it.

The better of the two options for him is just to do his set and try to move on. Address the victims personally if they want to be reached out to further. He already made his public statement.
You're exactly right. A third option would be to apologize sincerely again l, this time on stage, and then try to awkwardly slip into jokes now that the entire mood of the room has been dampened. He cant win morally here, but a performer must perform.

Really enjoyed his old stuff. But no matter how good his new stuff may be, I'm just done. Separating the art from the artist may work in some forms of media, but not for stand up comedy.

Usual disclaimer, what he did was fucked up and he abused his position of power, I don’t support that at all etc etc.

But holy shit some of you are transparent. You are well within your rights to feel it’s wrong for him to be testing out new material and carrying on with his career, I understand that, but to be bitching that he didn’t address what he did during a stand up routine? What the hell? Is that how you want his next apology to be delivered, as part of a series of jokes, to make people laugh? A disclaimer before attempting a comedy routine? Behaving like you wouldn’t be the exact people being outraged because he rolled his shitty behaviour into a bit and was potentially going to make light of it, or ultimately profit from it as part of a complete set, is dishonest at best.

I'm a fan of his work (this is the man who made Horace and Pete, after all), and I believe there is a path for him to make a return in a way that shows an appropriate amount of remorse and personal development.
I'd definitely like to keep hearing from the women he hurt as well.

With this in mind, "I’ve been off for a while, ‘cause everyone needs a break’” just doesn't cut it. I don't think he has any excuse to be cynical about and shrug off any part of what happened like that (if the quote is indeed accurate).

However, "I’m happy to report that his new material is just as bad as the old" is pretty much just saying "Hey, I have confirmation bias and I'm proud of it!"

I'm a fan of his work (this is the man who made Horace and Pete, after all), and I believe there is a path for him to make a return in a way that shows an appropriate amount of remorse and personal development.
I'd definitely like to keep hearing from the women he hurt as well.

With this in mind, "I’ve been off for a while, ‘cause everyone needs a break’” just doesn't cut it. I don't think he has any excuse to be cynical about and shrug off any part of what happened like that (if the quote is indeed accurate).
It's bizarre behavior when a big part of what made him famous was the frank discussion of difficult, unpleasant, and/or unflattering topics. Even putting aside the ethical issues with him performing, for him to get up there and act like he was just "taking a break" just instantly torpedoes anything else he does. Maybe someone whose brand was just shock jock schtick could get away with it, but that's not him.

I feel like the only way out for Louis is through. He needs to tackle what he did head on with honesty and humility, and somehow make it funny. If he continues to ignore it, he won't get anywhere. Thing is, he's great at examining why he's a piece of shit, this should be in his wheelhouse.

I don't really fuck with Louis' comedy but I'm not sure why so many people are upset by a lack of self-flagellation in his act.

yet another confirmation that sexual assault allegations do not ruin men's lives or careers
Well, the fact that he got an unannounced midnight spot at a club doesn't really suggest that it's all plain sailing.

I feel like the only way out for Louis is through. He needs to tackle what he did head on with honesty and humility, and somehow make it funny. If he continues to ignore it, he won't get anywhere. Thing is, he's great at examining why he's a piece of shit, this should be in his wheelhouse.
I don't know. Wouldn't making it part of his act essentially constitute profiting from what happened? I agree that he should talk about it honestly and in a way that helps people understand and heal, but I'd prefer he do it in a way that is as selfless as possible.

It's bizarre behavior when a big part of what made him famous was the frank discussion of difficult, unpleasant, and/or unflattering topics. Even putting aside the ethical issues with him performing, for him to get up there and act like he was just "taking a break" just instantly torpedoes anything else he does. Maybe someone whose brand was just shock jock schtick could get away with it, but that's not him.
Yeah, I agree. The quote could be inaccurate, of course, but if it isn't, then it doesn't seem like he's taken enough time out.

How the fuck do you people always manage to frame things this particular way.
That post is a perfect example of how the “too sensitive/too easily offended/too politically correct” framework actively makes the conversation dumber.

One day people will realize that this “too sensitive” angle has no explanatory force whatsoever, makes your starting point counterproductive to any sort of understanding, and ironically enough, just channels the outrage culture you’re presumably inclined to criticize.

Like, seriously...being a bit uncomfortable laughing at a dude who hurt the careers of female comics with his abusive antics shouldn’t be that incomprehensible.

But in Louis CK's case we are way past allegations so... I don't know if his career should be "ruined" but poping up unexpected in comedy club is a strange way to try to come back.
I was just talking in general. CK even admitted the allegations are true. He shouldn’t be performing surprise sets.

Seems like making material out of his journey of self-improvement would be a decent path.

Was it hard to be honest with yourself? Why? What got you to that place? Was it difficult doing therapy? Id leave any mentioning of women or victims for sincerity off stage, but id like to see him try the above.

I think it was / is possible for Louis CK to apologise, repent, reflect, take time out and come back to rebuild his career.

This is absolutely not the way to do it, and if he keeps pushing it without acknowledging the circumstances surrounding his "timeout", I expect it will limit the extent to which he can rebuild a career.

Some people are acting like the guy has been gone a decade. He barely took a break. And saying that something like this shouldn't ruin his career is completely downplaying the problems with the culture we have right now. He hasn't even been gone a year.

People act like the GOP is pushing Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court through opposition but attitudes like these lay the groundwork for it.

Louis admitted to the allegations didn't he? I don't understand why the women involved haven't actually pressed charges?
Why not convict him of the crime, let him serve an actual punishment handed out by a judge, and then move on from it?
Instead we have the situation we have now where some of you want his career and life to be over forever? I don't get it. Ask yourself what you would do in similar circumstances. If he doesn't have actual charges brought against him what is he supposed to do? Curl up into a ball and not do anything for the rest of his life?

Obviously he's a piece of shit for doing what he did, so don't think I'm condoning it for a second. I'd much rather see it taken through the correct channels and brought to a conclusion though instead of what we have going on now.

What the hell, man... Him not even addressing that shit speaks volumes. What's he waiting for, to do it in a special? That opportunity likely won't come around.
Is he expected to start every event for the rest of his life with a 10-15 minute speech about it? I'm not being facetious, I genuinely want to know what people expect of someone like him who has gotten caught up in the #MeToo stuff.

Is he expected to start every event for the rest of his life with a 10-15 minute speech about it? I'm not being facetious, I genuinely want to know what people expect of someone like him who has gotten caught up in the #MeToo stuff.
This is his second set since it happened. What the hell are you talking about with this "rest of his life" stuff?

Remorse would be the bare minimum. This isn't even that.

But in Louis CK's case we are way past allegations so... I don't know if his career should be "ruined" but poping up unexpected in comedy club is a strange way to try to come back.
Yeah it wasn't just allegations. He said words to the effect of "the stories these women are telling are true".

Usual disclaimer, what he did was fucked up and he abused his position of power, I don’t support that at all etc etc.

But holy shit some of you are transparent. You are well within your rights to feel it’s wrong for him to be testing out new material and carrying on with his career, I understand that, but to be bitching that he didn’t address what he did during a stand up routine? What the hell? Is that how you want his next apology to be delivered, as part of a series of jokes, to make people laugh? A disclaimer before attempting a comedy routine? Behaving like you wouldn’t be the exact people being outraged because he rolled his shitty behaviour into a bit and was potentially going to make light of it, or ultimately profit from it as part of a complete set, is dishonest at best.
He avoided justice and a prison sentence via his stature and by being a celebrity.

https://www.refinery29.com/2017/11/180565/masturbation-illegal-sexual-misconduct-louis-ck

The reaction around the industry, even before C.K.'s statement, has been swift, with comedians condemning his behavior, HBO and FX removing C.K.'s movies and specials from their platforms, and the distributor of C.K.'s new movie canceling its release. But the question remains: Is it against the law to masturbate in front of people without their consent? Could C.K. face jail time?

In California, where three women have described instances of C.K. non-consensually masturbating either in front of them or while on the phone with them, this behavior might be deemed criminal under California Penal Code 314. Under this code, anyone who exposes themselves "in any public place, or in any place where there are present other persons to be offended or annoyed" could be found guilty of a misdemeanor. If they're charged more than once, it's considered a felony, according to a California criminal defense lawyer who asked to remain anonymous. "If convicted, [C.K.] would also have to register as a sex offender for 10 years," she said. All the women would have to do is file a police report, and the state could pursue charges from there
Those are 3 cases. If I am remembering correctly, he masturbated in front of a door which was the only avenue of escape in at least one other case. While some of them took place in Colorado iirc, once he was determined to be a sex offender he would have faced felony level charges. He avoided years of jail. And he would have been sentenced in my state if charged, it's not just California.

What are people transparent of by pointing any of this out?

He avoided justice and a prison sentence via his stature and by being a celebrity.

https://www.refinery29.com/2017/11/180565/masturbation-illegal-sexual-misconduct-louis-ck

Those are 3 cases. If I am remembering correctly, he masturbated in front of a door which was the only avenue of escape in at least one other case. While some of them took place in Colorado iirc, once he was determined to be a sex offender he would have faced felony level charges. He avoided years of jail. And he would have been sentenced in my state if charged, it's not just California.

What are people transparent of by pointing any of this out?
Transparent for being shocked and offended that he didn’t incorporate what he did into a stand up routine, when including what he did in his stand up routine would result in the very same people being shocked and offended that he’d dare bring it up and make light of it/potentially profit from it if the material ever made it into a full set. You know, the thing that I said in my post which you quoted.

Transparent for being shocked and offended that he didn’t incorporate what he did into a stand up routine, when including what he did in his stand up routine would result in the very same people being shocked and offended that he’d dare bring it up and make light of it/potentially profit from it if the material ever made it into a full set. You know, the thing that I said in my post which you quoted.
He avoided being a felon and never even acknowledges it, then you wonder why people are pissed that he both avoided justice and didn't even acknowledge it?

Insert sexual offender that isn't the funny man who gives you the laugh laughs that escapes consequence free. Then get back to me I guess?

"Louis C.K. performed a surprise set — again — at the Comedy Cellar on Sunday. One audience member told me: “I talked to a few women sitting near me afterwards, and they described a similar sense of tenuous discomfort, like, ‘Is it OK to laugh at this?’”"

https://twitter.com/ohheyjenna/status/1046915740325044224

So they wanted to laugh, but felt like they needed to be offended?
Sounds like it tbh but I don't know

He avoided being a felon and never even acknowledges it, then you wonder why people are pissed that he both avoided justice and didn't even acknowledge it?

Insert sexual offender that isn't the funny man who gives you the laugh laughs that escapes consequence free. Then get back to me I guess?
Oh right, I guess I’m defending what he did now, despite saying outright that I’m not and it was wrong and fuck that.

I’m saying that being pissed off he didn’t bring it up IN A STAND UP COMEDY ROUTINE is fucking moronic, especially as you know damn well you’d be even more pissed off if he did. Get that into your head.

What the hell, man... Him not even addressing that shit speaks volumes. What's he waiting for, to do it in a special? That opportunity likely won't come around.
Sadly yes it will.

He/execs/fans will excuse his behavior "he was just a creep, people shouldn't treat him like some serial rapist" and he will be making bank again in 6 mo-year.

lmao, they sound pretty thrilled that hes there

title inaccurate af
Ever since we moved to ResetEra we've had inaccurate thread titles here and there... MUCH MORE than I remember from GAF. Are these new members from other forums?

At Gaf members knew better than try to trick or deceive their fellow members. We are supposed to help each other avoid fake shit from sites... not spread it. Imo.

Last edited: