Mega Man fans, do you prefer Classic or X series?

Which series is better?

• Classic (Lighthearted precision platforming all day)

Votes: 86 31.5%
  • X (Grittier, faster action is more my thing)

Votes: 187 68.5%

• Total voters
If I were pulling from nostalgia I would have said the X series. However, playing both collections made me realize the original retains all the fun I remember and X series was a lot more frustrating than I remember. So I have to really with Original after some fresh replays over the past couple years.

Zero series.

But if I had to choose between those two it would be X.

X has more bad games but I still find the flow of gameplay more fun.

I think Classic is a more consistently solid series, but there are specific standouts in the X series that I would consider some of my favorite games of all times.

Mega Man Zero is my favorite, but I guess it is a direct extension of X4 Zero gameplay, and a continuation of 5X being the last in the canon.

So I guess you could say X is my favorite. But my favorite playable characters are Bass and Protoman. So maybe a tie?

Difficult decision.

If I had to choose which SERIES I get to play for the rest of my life while turning down the other forever I'd have to go with Classic.

X has higher highs in X1 and X4 but way way way WAY lower lows in X6, X7 and X8 (yes not even the worst Classic gets close to X8's badness).

Classic series is just more consistently good and there's no bad Classic Megaman. The worst ones don't go below mediocre while X has some genuine trash.

So yeah. Classic for me. And this comes from someone who thinks X1 is the best Megaman game overall of all time.

Pretty much every classic Megaman is at least decent, X has a few complete shitshows. I still prefer the speed of X. Not to say I dont like Classic, but X1 > everything else.

Classic for sure. I just...never liked any of the level design in the X games I don't think? They're just less interesting as platformers, which is the bit of Mega Man I like

The X series by a pretty long margin, although I think the Zero series is the best overall but X was my Megaman series growing up so I still like it a bit more.

X, by a lot. I like classic (obviously) but the faster and more versatile gameplay of the X series is more my jam. I also would consider putting the ZX games over the classic ones too.

It's interesting. I think the X series has higher highs but also the lowest lows in the franchise (X6 and especially X7) while the quality of the classic series remains consistent throughout. There is not a single bad game in the entire classic series. Not one.

Yet I still might prefer the X series because of that X1-X4 run of pure perfection.

Mega Man is awesome.

X series is so fun. The fast paced action and the dashing makes it for me. Nothing more satisfying than wallkicking/sliding through a level or during a boss. I do love classic but it doesn't have that same oomph as the X series.

I grew up on the NES, but I prefer X and it's not even close. I was always into Mega Man, but I didn't actually fall in love with the series until X and X2.

When I was younger: X

Nowadays: Classic by a mile.

The X series is kinda crap outside of 1, 2, and 4 while the Classic games are just overall better. Mega Man 9 is basically the perfect videogame so it automatically wins over everything else.

X. The Classic series is dope but I just enjoy X's movement, style, grittiness and well everything more than the Classic. The X series gets me in a particular vibe that I just don't get with the Classic. Nothing wrong with the Classic, just not for me.

X is the better Megaman series, but only up to X5. X6 is a notch below and x7 and beyond fall off a cliff.

The original series i've never had many fond memories of outside of 8, which i think is a great game.

The X series. Mostly because of gameplay and character designs. I'm also just completely sick of the classic Mega Man sprites.

Oh, and Maverick Hunter X is one of my top favorite games of all time.

X is the better Megaman series, but only up to X5. X6 is a notch below and x7 and beyond fall off a cliff.

The original series i've never had many fond memories of outside of 8, which i think is a great game.
I pretty much share this exact opinion, although I did develop an affection for Mega Man 3 in particular, and do enjoy all the Classic games to some extent. They just don't hold a candle to the X series, which is something really special to me.

MM7 and MM8 even moreso, the black sheeps of the Classic series, are by far my favorites and the only ones to approach the same feeling the X games gave me. Always felt like a weirdo because of that opinion.

This isn't true. There is only a single X game after X7 so "and beyond" would only refer to X8.

And X8 -- aside from the two vehicle stages -- is great. It's better than X5 and X6.

I pretty much share this exact opinion, although I did develop an affection for Mega Man 3 in particular, and do enjoy all the Classic games to some extent. They just don't hold a candle to the X series, which is something really special to me.

MM7 and MM8 even moreso, the black sheeps of the Classic series, are by far my favorites and the only ones to approach the same feeling the X games gave me. Always felt like a weirdo because of that opinion.
Oh yeah, 7 was on SNES too right? I liked that one as well, but i only played it on a SNES emulator later in life. It was a nice jump from the NES games, but MM8 on PS1 just took it to another stratospheric leap, i probably still love it so much because i remember my youth of seeing MM8(annniversary edition!) on the blockbuster shelves, and finally begging my mom to rent it for me for a few days was like bliss. And later when i got it for myself, it only reaffirmed my position on it as being in the same league as X4 in quality

This isn't true. There is only a single X game after X7 so "and beyond" would only refer to X8.

And X8 -- aside from the two vehicle stages -- is great. It's better than X5 and X6.
I dont really personally agree. I never really liked the 3D style that game went with, and what it did to alia was just weird. I'll grant you it was a decent improvement on X7(pretty much anything would be), but it was too little, too late in my eyes

I am a much better X player than megaman. I love the speed of the dash and the huge advantage wall climbing makes.

There is also just a lot more variety in gameplay in zero and all the different armors.

I like the 16 bit and 32 bit spritework more.

With that said I think megaman 11 is really good and is a good step forward for the franchise as a whole.

Zero but between these two X. I just like the gameplay changes they introduced.

Mega Man and Bass.

Also what’s wrong with X8?
X8 is like the definition of mediocre. It doesn't do anything wrong, but it's still not as good as the other X games (besides 6 and 7). Also it's kinda ugly.

1 < x1
2 < x2
3 > x3
4 > x4
5 > x5
6 > x6
7 > x7
8 < x8

Classic. (and that's not even including 9 and 10, which are basically the best in the series)

X1 isort of defined how Megaman looked in everyone's imagination from the classic series before bracing off in its own series with x4 and beyond.