My Hero Academia: Season 3 |OT| One for All and All for One

Why the hell did the season start off so weak only to go full DBS Tier Hype after Episode 6? Why didn't anyone warn me to keep up week after week? I am binging it these last few days, and hoooooly shit. Again, the Summer Vacation thing did nothing for me. I was on board with the show since S1 and absolutely loved everything about the concept, but S3 was a wet fart for me. I hated the pussycats, Kota was such a bleh kid, and I usually don't mind some Slice of Life in a Shonen. The lack of conflict and a looming sense of impending danger isn't even the issue for me. It just felt bad. But then Episode 5 brings us the Ambush and it just clicked. MHA is the first and only Shonen for me that somehow can only work when fighting, otherwise its just dull. How the hell can you manage to create memorable characters that can be memorable because of the downtime, but somehow manage to make that downtime suck so much? It takes talent I tell you. But whatever. The All For One reveal, the fight against All Might, all of it was amazing. Midoriya also has to stop being stupid about his Quirk Usage, boy is gonna be a broken mess before he reaches peak power.
Woof this is a terrible post

Woof this is a terrible post
I usually/always have terrible tastes. I'm not saying its not a great Anime, just that its detractors are much more prominent compared to others. Like it has the art, it has the soundtrack(which is a negative in some ways because only now are we getting new pieces), so for me at least, when the plot or execution of some of the ideas doesn't nail it as much as the audiovisual component does, it falls apart for me. To have that great a production you really need to back it up with great choreography and an equal writing staff. My point stands in that I found the back half of the Training Camp and the entirety of the Bakugo Retrieval Bang On. Then you get stuff like the Costume Shop or comparing breaking school rules to becoming a villain, and it just becomes average.

Re: the idea that Mirio can square off with All Might

I just can't see it happening, due to two things:
1. Mirio doesn't have super strength. He's limited to how much he gets propelled out of the ground the moment he turns his quirk off. We know that All Might can take a lot of damage, but we don't know just how hard Mirio gets ejected out of the ground.
2. Mirio's quirk is limited by how long he can hold his breath, and for how long he can keep going before exhaustion causes his capacity to drop.

Mirio would probably be extremely intimidating to enemies though. The idea that he can just pop out of anywhere, anytime can have a serious psychological impact.

I’m usually indifferent when it comes to antagonists in media, but I love the League of Villains. Think all of them have cooler designs than the heroes for the most part.

Finally made time to see the episode. Not the most exciting way to end it, but it's whatever.

What's everyone's favorite season?
Season 3 was the best season its weird that we had a huge hiatus between Bakugo rescue arc and Deku vs Bakugo it feels like I'm missing something

2 because it's more consistent

Season 3 was the best season its weird that we had a huge hiatus between Bakugo rescue arc and Deku vs Bakugo it feels like I'm missing something

2 because it's more consistent
Honestly, as a manga reader, I was kinda thinking the same thing, as far as which is the most adaptation thus far. That said, it's not like I perfectly recall Season 2.

Tbh every season so far has been weirdly paced. I wouldn't place any higher than the other.
Eh, you could def. put S1 in last place imo

I’m watching dub so I haven’t finished yet, but (so far) I’ll go with 2>3>1.
All of the training hero parts would be high ranking for me, while much of the other stuff is just lower. Thusly, provisional license arc, the one week work study arc (which includes Stain), and the UA sports fest, are the best arcs, while K[c]amino Ward and USJ go as the least good arcs.

I do not understand why I keep watching this show. I think the season openings and endings for all seasons have been pretty solid but they were too much bad padding/pacing this season. It had some really great highs but plenty of lows. This is more of a guilty watch anime that keeps frustrating me due to the hope of "potential" greatness. I cannot care for most of the cast either.

Look forward to Jojo and Mob Psycho this month. Finally something overall nice for once.

I do not understand why I keep watching this show. I think the season openings and endings for all seasons have been pretty solid but they were too much bad padding/pacing this season. It had some really great highs but plenty of lows. This is more of a guilty watch anime that keeps frustrating me due to the hope of "potential" greatness. I cannot care for most of the cast either.

Look forward to Jojo and Mob Psycho this month. Finally something overall nice for once.
My only real main complaint with MHA is overall fight choreography. Outside of the most recent Deku vs Bakugo fight nothing spectacle wise really rivals anything from Boruto for example.

Mob Psycho is Winter isn't it?

My only real main complaint with MHA is overall fight choreography. Outside of the most recent Deku vs Bakugo fight nothing spectacle wise really rivals anything from Boruto for example.
Funny enough I prefer the fights than the slice of life segments in the show. Other animes do definitely make fighting much more of a spectacle and pleasing overall.

Unfortunately I have not seen Boruto yet (other than awesome gifs) but I am struggling with finishing Shippuden (last 100 episodes). So not sure if I will ever get there as I am worn out by that franchise.

Funny enough I prefer the fights than the slice of life segments in the show. Other animes do definitely make fighting much more of a spectacle and pleasing overall.

Unfortunately I have not seen Boruto yet (other than awesome gifs) but I am struggling with finishing Shippuden (last 100 episodes). So not sure if I will ever get there as I am worn out by that franchise.
You aren't missing much lol. Boruto is the definition of "okay" outside of that one episode where they threw all the talent in the world on it.

This is what I meant from the movie’s poor choreography - the show sometimes makes explicit what room the characters have to work with and where they are, even with wild camera work (All Might vs Nomu, for instance), but in the movie it quickly devolves from “they’re on a circular roof with a radius of 50 to 100 meters” to “they’re running at 200mph across cement tentacles of indeterminate length while the background has become Anime Woosh graphics”. It reminds me of how Dragon Ball Super often ignored the size of the ToP stage because it would have made no sense otherwise. It was always as big as it needed to be in that moment.

It speaks volumes about how good some of the moment to moment action is in MHA’s television episodes when the movie struggles to outdo it.

Last edited:
i'd say that the emotional weight of the big fights in heroaca are what carry them, the choreography doesn't need to be amazing if the fight is making you feel things

Stain vs Deku, Iida and Todoroki has great coreography
Bakugo vs Todoroki too, even if it is really short

Stain vs Deku, Iida and Todoroki has great coreography
Bakugo vs Todoroki too, even if it is really short
In my defense I marathoned the fuck out of it. I don't think I had a problem with the Stain stuff, I don't remember Bakugo vs Todoroki even having an impact on me considering that Todoroki's heart wasn't even in it and it followed up Todoroki vs Deku, that's a fight you really can't follow and be remembered.