Nintendo First-Party Thread

2019- Town(directed by James Turner) and Pokemon Gen 8(directed by Morimoto)
I like everything you said in your post, even the Pokémon DLC. But there's no reason to belive new Pokémon Gens will be directed by Morimoto. I fully believe Ohmori will be in charge of new Gena for a long time. He's Masuda's successor.

Pokemon is gonna be difficult to predict the releases going forward since they're making HD games now. the gap between Gen 8 and the DPP remakes will probably be much bigger than previous games. essentially, I think Gen 8 will go uncontested until 2020 with DPP. third versions might be out the window unless they're some bullshit like USUM and barely have any additions that could have just been DLC

also, Morimoto doesn't seem to want to direct new entries.

Pokemon is gonna be difficult to predict the releases going forward since they're making HD games now. the gap between Gen 8 and the DPP remakes will probably be much bigger than previous games. essentially, I think Gen 8 will go uncontested until 2020 with DPP. third versions might be out the window unless they're some bullshit like USUM and barely have any additions that could have just been DLC

I like everything you said in your post, even the Pokémon DLC. But there's no reason to belive new Pokémon Gens will be directed by Morimoto. I fully believe Ohmori will be in charge of new Gena for a long time. He's Masuda's successor.
Morimoto was more of a pipe dream. Although for some reason I thought Pokemon Gen 8 development started before Sun and Moon's release suggesting that someone else is directing it.

Also as for third versions, I'm thinking it will work more like Fire Emblem Fates third version and Xenoblade 2 Chronicles Torna. It will just be DLC with a physical copy advertised as the third version. When its more like an expansion pass. Granted Gamefreak has expressed doubt on dlc in the past

Monolith- We know their next project is a new ip which will likely release in 2020. I also think we could see a Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster in 2019/2020. At some point in the Switch's lifetime they will probably release Xenoblade Chronicles 3. They are also opening up a new studio to work on additional projects. Some are curious if they could be working on a Dragalia Lost Switch.
I agree with almost all your other expectations, but this is a bit too optimistic. Even though pre-production started a while ago, I wouldn't expect the new IP to hit before 2021 considering they just released Torna, unless it's a small-scale project (which is unlikely). Also, considering the recent comments from Takahashi I'd even say XC3 isn't likely that soon, and even XCX-2 would make more sense to release first. I'm not expecting those before Switch 2.

Even with the recent hirings they're always helping with all kind of EPD projects. That's a small part of the company (I can't seem to find the Tokyo/Kyoto split right now though) that's probably helping on Animal Crossing (and Pikmin 4), but a larger number of employees may be called to work on the next 3D Zelda when that enters full production.

Last edited:
Also as for third versions, I'm thinking it will work more like Fire Emblem Fates third version and Xenoblade 2 Chronicles Torna. It will just be DLC with a physical copy advertised as the third version. When its more like an expansion pass. Granted Gamefreak has expressed doubt on dlc in the past
they never said they were against DLC, just paid stuff. the best course of action would be a big story DLC with a "Complete Edition" as the third game

I think Let's Go! is going to fill in the gaps made by missing Pokemon games. It's basically a new 3rd series in the main Pokemon games. So you have the main games, followed by Let's Go!, and the Pokemon remakes. Plus, I don't think the gap between remake and main entry will be too big, since they can just reuse the engine and assets from gen 8 for a remake.

I think Let's Go! is going to fill in the gaps made by missing Pokemon games. It's basically a new 3rd series in the main Pokemon games. So you have the main games, followed by Let's Go!, and the Pokemon remakes. Plus, I don't think the gap between remake and main entry will be too big, since they can just reuse the engine and assets from gen 8 for a remake.
architecture might be too different for that. then again, since the scale they'll be working at is so much bigger, they might just say "fuck it".

what I'm most afraid of is the archaic "buy the latest game to be up to date" business model. there's a reason fighting games abandoned that model (though Arc Systems still hasn't gotten the message). I find it rather consumer unfriendly

Game Freak has been developing 4 games simultaneously: Quest, Let's Go, Gen 8 and Town. I have no doubt they have the capability to release a Pokémon game every year, even now that they require more development time.

Also I think remakes will follow the graphic style of a Let's Go (top down camera), making development faster, while new gens will be more like Town.

I agree with almost all your other expectations, but this is a bit too optimistic. Even though pre-production started a while ago, I wouldn't expect the new IP to hit before 2021 considering they just released Torna, unless it's a small-scale project (which is unlikely). Also, considering the recent comments from Takahashi I'd even say XC3 isn't likely that soon, and even XCX-2 would make more sense to release first. I'm not expecting those before Switch 2.

Even with the recent hirings they're always helping with all kind of EPD projects. That's a small part of the company (I can't seem to find the Tokyo/Kyoto split right now though) that's probably helping on Animal Crossing (and Pikmin 4), but a larger number of employees may be called to work on the next 3D Zelda when that enters full production.
Torna is unlikely to have taken the full Tokyo workforce, even if it's not small, it's not the same as a full-scale game. They could have a small team working on prototyping and planning the new IP until the work on Torna finished before moving it to full production. I don't think 2020 is that unrealistic. The improvements to their engine for Torna will also likely be applied to the new IP too.

The Kyoto studio, as far as we know, has never helped with Tokyo projects, either, so what they're working on likely has no bearing on the new IP.

The remakes are made by a different team and a lot of the work is already done.

architecture might be too different for that. then again, since the scale they'll be working at is so much bigger, they might just say "fuck it".

what I'm most afraid of is the archaic "buy the latest game to be up to date" business model. there's a reason fighting games abandoned that model (though Arc Systems still hasn't gotten the message). I find it rather consumer unfriendly
The current fighting game business model is actually more costly than the previous.

they never said they were against DLC, just paid stuff. the best course of action would be a big story DLC with a "Complete Edition" as the third game
Yeah, that's what I'm more or less thinking. I dont think it would take away as many resources away from new game releases and it would continue to drive Gen 8's sales/legs. I think a brand new DLC story in the region with new forms and some new pokemon would sell very well. They could incorporate some legendaries and other unique pokemon as special events that change. I think giving Pokemon a GAAS like model could work really well if it looks at games like Splatoon, Kirby and Mario Tennis for inspiration. I guess my revised Gamefreak prediction would be Pokemon Gen 8(directed by Ohmori) and Town(directed by James Turner) in 2019. Pokemon Gen 8 free DLC and paid DLC story with new content in 2020 with a physical release (Directed by Iwao)during the holiday season. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remake in 2021(directed by Morimoto). New Gen release in 2023 that is a dual Switch and Switch 2.0 compatible game. Paid and free dlc support as well as a physical dlc version in 2024. Pokemon Lets Go 2 Johto in 2024 on Switch 2 exclusively.

You may be correct. I think a more reasonable expectation from Monolith would be Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster with additional content, enhanced performance and QoL improvements releasing in 2020 by the torna developers. New IP by Takahashi releases in 2021. Their new studio that they opened up releases Dragalia Lost Switch in 2022. New Xenoblade game on Switch 2 in 2023.

I forgot to mention Pikmin 4 but I hope it is arrives to the Switch by 2020.

The current fighting game business model is actually more costly than the previous.
good thing Pokemon has a lot less work going in them than FG characters. patching in the ORAS stuff into XY would have been acceptable, for instance

You may be correct. I think a more reasonable expectation from Monolith would be Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster with additional content, enhanced performance and QoL improvements releasing in 2020 by the torna developers. New IP by Takahashi releases in 2021. Their new studio that they opened up releases Dragalia Lost Switch in 2022. New Xenoblade game on Switch 2 in 2023.

just to note, the "new studio" isn't a new studio but an extension of Monolith Tokyo because they had no more room to grow in their current building

good thing Pokemon has a lot less work going in them than FG characters. patching in the ORAS stuff into XY would have been acceptable, for instance

just to note, the "new studio" isn't a new studio but an extension of Monolith Tokyo because they had no more room to grow in their current building
ORAS sold 14 million so that isn't happening lol.

They're different games, so I wouldn't ever expect that and you would probably be better off hoping they patch the 3rd versions in instead(which also probably won't happen).

So The Game Awards are about 2.5 months aways. I’m pretty stoked for it as I feel its gotten better and better every year.

Last year Nintendo revealed Bayonetta 1 + 2 for Switch and revealed Bayonetta 3. It was a huge surprise that no one saw coming. For this year I’ll give you 3 games to choose from. You have to pick which game you’d like to see the most at the Game Awards, since many of us are expecting Nintendo to show one of their games again.

I’m picking 3 games that I feel have the most realistic chance to show up at an event like the Game Awards.

A) Metroid Prime 4 gameplay reveal trailer
B) Bayonetta 3 gameplay reveal trailer
C) Retro’s game revealed (no gameplay)

You have to pick one of the three.

So The Game Awards are about 2.5 months aways. I’m pretty stoked for it as I feel its gotten better and better every year.

Last year Nintendo revealed Bayonetta 1 + 2 for Switch and revealed Bayonetta 3. It was a huge surprise that no one saw coming. For this year I’ll give you 3 games to choose from. You have to pick which game you’d like to see the most at the Game Awards, since many of us are expecting Nintendo to show one of their games again.

I’m picking 3 games that I feel have the most realistic chance to show up at an event like the Game Awards.

A) Metroid Prime 4 gameplay reveal trailer
B) Bayonetta 3 gameplay reveal trailer
C) Retro’s game revealed (no gameplay)

You have to pick one of the three.
I think a MPT reveal is the most likely thing, so I would say A to accompany it.

I will be curious to see what Game Freak does if Pokemon Let's Go ends up being the worst selling game in the series (at like 12m or so).

Not sure what they would take from that, honestly.
Nothing most likely. They just either won't follow it up or try again with changes based on the reasons they believe it sold poorly. The gen 8 games likely won't be affected in any meaningful way no matter the reception.

I will be curious to see what Game Freak does if Pokemon Let's Go ends up being the worst selling game in the series (at like 12m or so).

Not sure what they would take from that, honestly.
It's an experiment, as Matsuda once implied in an interview. TPC is taking a gamble to catch the monstrous GO audience.

If it fails, they will just go back to the old formula.

ORAS sold 14 million so that isn't happening lol.

They're different games, so I wouldn't ever expect that and you would probably be better off hoping they patch the 3rd versions in instead(which also probably won't happen).
I'm not asking them to patch in ORAS as a whole. just the additional mega forms. given these games are planned near-concurrently, keeping the data open to additions would allow it to happen. Buy ORAS if you want the Gen 3 remakes, but it allows XY to still be used competitively

Yeah, that's what I'm more or less thinking. I dont think it would take away as many resources away from new game releases and it would continue to drive Gen 8's sales/legs. I think a brand new DLC story in the region with new forms and some new pokemon would sell very well. They could incorporate some legendaries and other unique pokemon as special events that change. I think giving Pokemon a GAAS like model could work really well if it looks at games like Splatoon, Kirby and Mario Tennis for inspiration. I guess my revised Gamefreak prediction would be Pokemon Gen 8(directed by Ohmori) and Town(directed by James Turner) in 2019. Pokemon Gen 8 free DLC and paid DLC story with new content in 2020 with a physical release (Directed by Iwao)during the holiday season. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remake in 2021(directed by Morimoto). New Gen release in 2023 that is a dual Switch and Switch 2.0 compatible game. Paid and free dlc support as well as a physical dlc version in 2024. Pokemon Lets Go 2 Johto in 2024 on Switch 2 exclusively.

???

Why would Monolith Soft develop Dragalia Lost? It's not their IP. Also, the new studio is not a separate team. Rather it's an expansion to the main team in Tokyo probably due to lack of space in their building.

Zelda team- they haven't gone 2 years without a Zelda release since 1998. So I expect to see Zelda in some form next year. We know the 2D Zelda team is still working on something, so I could see that releasing in 2019 with another Zelda projects from the Zelda team in 2022.
2022 for the next 3D Zelda game?! Why would it need five years of development? I mean, Breath of the Wild itself apparently only took four years to make, with the additional time being spent porting the game to the Switch. And considering Nintendo will presumably re-use the same engine and other assets for the next game, wouldn't it make the most sense for it to arrive in 2020 or 2021 at the absolute latest?

I can't imagine the entire 300-strong team was devoted to porting BotW either, so they could have been working on the next game as far back as 2016.

2022 for the next 3D Zelda game?! Why would it need five years of development? I mean, Breath of the Wild itself apparently only took four years to make, with the additional time being spent porting the game to the Switch. And considering Nintendo will presumably re-use the same engine and other assets for the next game, wouldn't it make the most sense for it to arrive in 2020 or 2021 at the absolute latest?

I can't imagine the entire 300-strong team was devoted to porting BotW either, so they could have been working on the next game as far back as 2016.
I maybe wasnt clear in my post. However, this was what I was thinking for Zelda team releases:

2019- 2D Zelda

2020- SS HD
- New IP from Zelda team
- Hyrule x Fire Emblem Warriors

2021- TP & WW HD
- Sheik Spinoff- it is a full fledged 3D Zelda title. However, the gameplay does have a major twist with it being a sheikah spinoff. Think if BotW was OoT then this title would be MM

2022- OoT & MM HD
- New 2D Zelda team project- whether its another followup to the traditional top down or a sequel to the PH style or Zelda 2 style of 2D games.

2023- New full fledged 3D Zelda game

Again, I'm not saying it will be 6 years to the next 3D Zelda title as there could be a Sheik spinoff that heavily reuses assets to make a spin on the standard Zelda fornula like MM, LA and Zelda 2 were.

This. I see 3D Zelda as a 2020 game. It wouldn’t take as much development time and they won’t have to port the game.
it depends on what scope do they wanna make the game, OoT to MM only took 2 years under same conditions (same engine) but MM was lot smaller than OoT. so a new LoZ will obviously be smaller than BotW

I maybe wasnt clear in my post. However, this was what I was thinking for Zelda team releases:
Ah, I see - you're expecting a new IP from the Zelda team first. That makes more sense.

it depends on what scope do they wanna make the game, OoT to MM only took 2 years under same conditions (same engine) but MM was lot smaller than OoT. so a new LoZ will obviously be smaller than BotW
I'd expect the opposite tbh. Breath of the Wild took four years to make. If the next Zelda game drops in 2020 that would only be one year less dev-time, but it would have the luxury of being able to build on BotW's amazing foundation - reusing the engine alone would save a lot of time, but presumably they also have a more focused vision of what an 'open air' Zelda game should be, resulting in a more streamlined development.

I think there's a very strong possibility of Switch getting a brand new 3D Zelda by 2020.

Especially if they re-use the BOTW engine.
I think we will get a spin off instead a mainline game.

But the spin off game will be AAA budget as the mainline series and reuse the BOTW engine.

I'm expecting an open world action game starring Shiek which doesn't take place in Hyrule.

Having a smaller scale Zelda would be extremely underwhelming. I stick to my prediction that the new Zelda is going to be released more or less at the same time as a mid gen refresh to push the new hardware.

I’m not saying to make mega budget games, but they can have more people to make more than one game at a time. Imagine if Retro is making two games with DKC:TF budget at a time.

I just love Retro because they’re a western oriented studio, so they bring different thoughts and ideas to the board with the same pedigree as Japan’s studios. The key part is “pedigree”. They should be churning out more games. It’s so sad how they haven’t put out a brand new game in what will be over 5 years.
I mean, even if Retro is a western studio, it's not like Nintendo wasn't there as well with japanese staff. Metroid Prime is basically a japanese-american cooperation on that front, much like their other games. Even more when Tanabe is the producer of all of their games.

I mean, even if Retro is a western studio, it's not like Nintendo wasn't there as well with japanese staff. Metroid Prime is basically a japanese-american cooperation on that front, much like their other games. Even more when Tanabe is the producer of all of their games.
So? They’re an American studio. I’m not about to take that away from them.

I’m glad the American studio has grown some. I want to see them keep growing so they can churn out games every 2-3 years. I want to see what new ideas and IP’s they come up with compared to their Japanese counterparts.

Honestly I get the feeling things moved very fast for BotW once they settled on the physics engine/world design. R&D for that game must have been insane, but aside from that that team seems incredibly equipped to ship a game full of content relatively quickly. That's the impression I got watching the GDQ post mortem anyway.

So? They’re an American studio. I’m not about to take that away from them.

I’m glad the American studio has grown some. I want to see them keep growing so they can churn out games every 2-3 years. I want to see what new ideas and IP’s they come up with compared to their Japanese counterparts.
Uh, It's pretty clear what I said. Hell, the producers of MP1 were all mostly japanese, much like the director. What I'm saying is that being an american studio don't make that much of difference when the producer is japanese and is the one taking the directions of that team and company, much like Tanabe will do for MP4 which won't be with them.

Which 2019 game are you looking forward to the most and why? Going to keep it to confirmed 2019 games for now. For me it’s Luigis Mansion 3. I’m so happy to see it on a console. My biggest issue with Dark Moon was it was on the 3DS and I hate holding that system. I hate the circle pad. The Switch fixes both. I have very high hopes.

1. Yoshi’s Crafted World
2. Pokemon Gen 8
3. Luigi’s Mansion 3
4. Animal Crossing
5. Daemon X Machina
6. NSMBU Deluxe

I think there's a very strong possibility of Switch getting a brand new 3D Zelda by 2020.

Yep. As many have speculated, I think we are going to see a “Majoras Mask to Ocarina of Time” style sequel.

Ie, same engine, reused/slightly upgraded assets, new story, reshuffled world map, updated locations, same great open air/physics gameplay.

Do you think a 3D or 2D Zelda would come first? I'd love to see a new 3D Zelda in 2020, but man, I really want to see what they can cook up with a new 2D Zelda, especially art style-wise.

what do people think of this as an idea?

once the wii u games have dried up, nintendo starts remastering 3DS/GC/Wii games and selling them seperately or in compilations. They can leave nes/snes/n64 games to the online service and still have a ton of stuff.

once the wii u games have dried up, nintendo starts remastering 3DS/GC/Wii games and selling them seperately or in compilations. They can leave nes/snes/n64 games to the online service and still have a ton of stuff.
And GB/GBA games too. GC/Wii games are possible as well, but DS and 3DS its difficulty because of dual screen setup and lack of mic in Switch.

These are the only ones I could really see them going for in terms of remasters/ports. I'm doubtful they will do most of these.

GCN:
-WW(technically wii u port)
-TP(technically wii u port)
-Eternal Darkness remaster (lol)
-MP trilogy(technically this is a wii game as well as GCN game)
- Paper Mario TTYD(another game that would be nice to dream that they would port but they'd probably go with Color Splash, if they were porting a paper mario game)
- Baiten Kaitos 1 & 2(possible but unlikely)
- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn remake(this one I could see as more likely, actually)

Wii:
- Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 HD(possible but not probable)
- Metroid Prime Trilogy(likely)
- Xenoblade Chronicles(maybe)
- SS HD(probable)

3DS:
- Kid Icarus Uprising HD(I hope so)
- OoT and MM HD(probable)

Wii U:
- Pikmin 3(depends on how far away Pikmin 4 is)
- Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster(probably)
- 3D World(maybe)
- #FE (maybe to fill in a gap if Nintendo/Atlus thinks there is a worthwhile audience for it)
- TWW & TP HD(likely)

I believe Nintendo should either develop or actively court games in genres that have seen a decline. This way they could target lapsed gamers who have moved on from gaming altogether. In addition, it would further differentiate Switch library and raise it's value as a supplementary console for the segment of potential customers that is interested in it as such.

Genres such as arcade racers and extreme sports or arcade takes on traditional sports.

What other genres could serve this purpose?

I think holiday 2020 will certainly be the Zelda team’s goal (and would be almost 4 years after BOTW), but a slip into early or even late 2021 wouldn’t surprise me. Zelda has a penchant for delays moreso than Nintendo’s other franchises.

Curious how soon EPD Tokyo will pump out their next game. They had a pretty fast pace of releases from Galaxy (May 2010) to 3D Land (November 2011) to 3D World (December 2013) to Treasure Tracker (November 2014). Especially since Odyssey didn’t have major DLC, I’d be shocked if their next game was any later than holiday 2020.

Is Next Level Games also behind Luigi's Mansion 3?

What is NST up to these days?

What has NERD made as of late?
NLG is probably with Luigi's Mansion 3

The last thing NST did was the ports of Captain Toad (2018)

NERD does not make games, has worked in the emulators of NES Classic and SNES Classic. If there is another classic console on the way, they will be working on it.

Is Next Level Games also behind Luigi's Mansion 3?

What is NST up to these days?

What has NERD made as of late?
It's 100% Next level. They've been working on this since 2014, apparently. Most likely had to be reworked for Switch.

Takahashi heavily implied Wave Race was coming so it might be them.

N64 mini probably.

If they're reusing the BOTW engine, I think we'll likely see some smaller Zelda titles peppered in between until "Breath of the Wild 2" (or whatever it may be called)

I could see them doing a Shrine Builder (like Mario Maker/Portal's Perpetual Testing Initiative) or maaaaybe BOTW Battle Royale?