Nintendo First-Party Thread

Having a medieval battle royale, with the engine and the physics of BOTW, would be a really nice twist on the genre.
I've been saying that for like over a year now, the whole scavenging and improvising aspect of BOTW makes it really perfect for a Battle Royale type game.

I have no idea if that's something they're doing but if so they need to do it quickly, before the market is oversaturated with Battle Royale games and everyone loses interest.

I've been saying that for like over a year now, the whole scavenging and improvising aspect of BOTW makes it really perfect for a Battle Royale type game.

I have no idea if that's something they're doing but if so they need to do it quickly, before the market is oversaturated with Battle Royale games and everyone loses interest.
Nintendo doesn't work this way :)
But I agree with you, i would love a battle royal from them.

what do people think of this as an idea?

once the wii u games have dried up, nintendo starts remastering 3DS/GC/Wii games and selling them seperately or in compilations. They can leave nes/snes/n64 games to the online service and still have a ton of stuff.
Nintendo definatly has so much potential releases among ports and remasters (N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS) but they need to have new games also, and of course they can't release too much games because sales would start effecting on sales of other games.
So I think one of their biggest headache is to plan and manage future projects and games and making diverse lineup but in same to not release too much games or games from same IP in one year.

Noooo no battle royale!! Do not want that crap made from Nintendo directly. You got fortnite for that let them do that 1st party i want unique and innovative Nintendo only games NOT SAME as everyone else.

VGA
Metroid Prime 4 Trailer

January Direct
Animal Crossing Trailer
Bayonetta 3 Trailer
Star Fox Grand Prix Reveal
Zelda Skyward Sword HD Reveal

I expect January Direct to be end of January to give NSMB some breathing room

Can you smelllllalaallal what Wolfgang is cooking?!

Anyways I’ve predicted Metroid Prime 4 gameplay reveal at Game Awards for the longest time. Smash releases that night and it’s time to get started with the next big “core” game that you can show to a Game Awards audience. MP4 is perfect for that audience.

VGA
Metroid Prime 4 Trailer

January Direct
Animal Crossing Trailer
Bayonetta 3 Trailer

I actually expecting Direct before NSMBUD launch, so probably 8, 9 or 10. January.

Actually, if SFGP is anything like I'm imagining it to be, it would fit in at VGA as well.

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
Metroid Prime 4
Bayonetta 3
Star Fox Grand Prix

Let's make this a Nintendo show, let's go!

Neoxon

Community Resettler
TGA
Metroid Prime 4 Trailer

January Direct
Animal Crossing Trailer
Bayonetta 3 Trailer

I could also see us getting a Smash Ultimate DLC reveal at the Game Awards if we don’t get one in the hypothetical next Smash Direct.

Nah Retro is gonna be saved for E3. They've only ever revealed games at E3, I don't see that changing now.
I don’t really agree with this. I used to think this, but not anymore. 3D Mario isn’t revealed there. Pokémon isn’t. Smash isn’t. Luigi’s Mansion isn’t anymore. Animal Crossing isn’t. Fire Emblem doesn’t. 3D Zelda was revealed at E3 though.

It seems like all Nintendo developer’s have their games announced outside of E3 now. Next Level Games with Luigi’s Mansion 3 as I stated earlier. Retro is the only one left and their last game wasn’t shown since 2013. I think today’s Nintendo has no problem revealing it in a January or March direct. It could still be at E3, I just don’t think it’s 100% anymore.

January Direct
Animal Crossing Trailer
Bayonetta 3 Trailer

The idea of a big January direct seems like a myth to me. The Switch Presentation was in January 2017, but that's about it. This year we had a mini-direct, that only talked about winter and spring games. I would expect something similar.

I doubt any of those games will be in the direct. Well, except maybe the port of a Zelda game if anything like that comes.

I actually expecting Direct before NSMBUD launch, so probably 8, 9 or 10. January.
That's not unreasonable. I just don't expect there to be much in it.

I don’t really agree with this. I used to think this, but not anymore. 3D Mario isn’t revealed there. Pokémon isn’t. Smash isn’t. Luigi’s Mansion isn’t anymore. Animal Crossing isn’t. Fire Emblem doesn’t. 3D Zelda was revealed at E3 though.

It seems like all Nintendo developer’s have their games announced outside of E3 now. Next Level Games with Luigi’s Mansion 3 as I stated earlier. Retro is the only one left and their last game wasn’t shown since 2013. I think today’s Nintendo has no problem revealing it in a January or March direct. It could still be at E3, I just don’t think it’s 100% anymore.
Fire Emblem was actually, and I think 3D Mario would've been if not for the Switch conference in January 2017. They still tend to use E3 to announce/debut their more "core" oriented franchises like Metroid Prime and Zelda, and I see that being extended to whatever Retro is working on.

I'm sure I could be wrong though.

This past E3 announced one first party game, which was Super Mario Party, right? Last year wasn't it just Kingdom Battle? And that's not technically first party. So yeah, I am not sure any E3 with Switch games has had anything new to show.

Fire Emblem was actually, and I think 3D Mario would've been if not for the Switch conference in January 2017. They still tend to use E3 to announce/debut their more "core" oriented franchises like Metroid Prime and Zelda, and I see that being extended to whatever Retro is working on.

I'm sure I could be wrong though.
Fire Emblem was actually announced in a February Direct last year.

Fire Emblem was actually announced in a February Direct last year.
I meant it was revealed at E3, just like BotW. They had previously said a FE/Zelda game was in the works but our first details and footage of both came at E3. Though I guess that would mean Metroid Prime 4 might not necessarily debut at E3 since it was just teased there.

I meant it was revealed at E3, just like BotW. They had previously said a FE/Zelda game was in the works but our first details and footage of both came at E3. Though I guess that would mean Metroid Prime 4 might not necessarily debut at E3 since it was just teased there.
Yeah first gameplay footage of FE was E3. I just don’t think it’s 100% anymore that Retro’s game couldn’t be announced outside of E3, then fully revealed at E3. Because no Retro has has been announced outside of E3 as far as I can remember.

The idea of a big January direct seems like a myth to me. The Switch Presentation was in January 2017, but that's about it. This year we had a mini-direct, that only talked about winter and spring games. I would expect something similar.

I doubt any of those games will be in the direct. Well, except maybe the port of a Zelda game if anything like that comes.

That's not unreasonable. I just don't expect there to be much in it.
Well people didnt said specifically big Direct, even this year Mini Direct had some solid and interesting announcements like Mario Tennis Aces, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Version, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Dark Souls Remastered, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle DLC, The World Ends with You -Final Remix-, Ys VIII...so basically difference compared to regular Direct was only length and number of announcements, but quality of regular Direct is there.

I also agree we will hardly see Bayonetta 3 and Star Fox Grand Prix Reveal trailer because even if they are 2019. games they will be released in second half of 2019. so there is no reason to show them in January, but I defintly expecting to see Animal Crossing trailer of game is really coming in first half of 2019.

The Mini Direct was what it was because this year was basically port city (for first half which is what a January direct mainly entails). There was nothing big for them announced.

2019 is a completely different ball game with what we know is coming. If there is a direct in January I fully expect it to be a regular direct.

The Mini Direct was what it was because this year was basically port city. There was nothing big for them announced.

2019 is a completely different ball game with what we know is coming. If there is a direct in January I fully expect it to be a regular direct.
It not point if they have to show something or not, but that they in January Direct will focus mostly on Winter and Spring releases and they generally have less releases at beginning of year compared to rest of year.

I am not saying we will have regular or Mini Direct, I will be fine even with Mini Direct because we will again have some good and interesting announcements in any case.

It not point if they have to show something or not, but that they in January Direct will focus mostly on Winter and Spring releases and they generally have less releases at beginning of year compared to rest of year.

I am not saying we will have regular or Mini Direct, I will be fine even with Mini Direct because we will again have some good and interesting announcements in any case.
I don’t agree at all. You’re uplaying a Mini Direct. It was a Mini on purpose because it was port city for the first half of 2018. There were no huge big titles to show. They revealed Mario Tennis. Yes, Mario Tennis. Imagine Mario Tennis as your big show stopper of a normal direct.

2019 is different. We have Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Yoshi’s Crafted World, Pokemon, Luigi’s Mansion. Possibly Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3 and Retro’s game.

A couple of these will be first half 2019 along with new third party games. Showing brand new footage of these games is not meant for a Mini Direct. They’re meant for a general Direct. How many times to do we get Mini Directs? There’s not that many.

The Mini Direct keeps expectations low, plus they drop Mini Directs on youtube so people can jump to the end if they want. There’s no big surprises or big gameplay reveals in a Mini Direct.

I don’t agree at all. You’re uplaying a Mini Direct. It was a Mini on purpose because it was port city for the first half of 2018. There were no huge big titles to show. They revealed Mario Tennis. Yes, Mario Tennis. Imagine Mario Tennis as your big show stopper of a normal direct.

2019 is different. We have Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Yoshi’s Crafted World, Pokemon, Luigi’s Mansion. Possibly Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3 and Retro’s game.

A couple of these will be first half 2019 along with new third party games. Showing brand new footage of these games is not meant for a Mini Direct. They’re meant for a general Direct. How many times to do we get Mini Directs? There’s not that many.

The Mini Direct keeps expectations low, plus they drop Mini Directs on youtube so people can jump to the end if they want. There’s no big surprises or big gameplay reveals in a Mini Direct.

Like you didnt read my main point, again, in January Direct they will focus mostly on Winter and Spring releases and they generally have less releases at beginning of year compared to rest of year.
Offcourse they made regular Direct on purpose but not because it was port fest but simple they didnt want show many games and/or they didnt had to show too much games on period that Direct was focus, and thats a Winter-Spring period.

Don't forget, after most likely January Direct, we will have most likly have March/April Direct and than E3 in June, so they will save some announcements for later dates how we are clossing to release dates of those announcements.

Point that 2019. is different doesnt mean we want have Mini Direct when focus of January Direct are Winter and Spring releases, and most of those confirmed 2019. games are not Winter or Spring releases.

Main difrence between regular and Mini Direct is length of Direct and number of announcements not quality of announcements, quality of January Mini Direct wasnt lower compared to some other regular Switch Direct, simple had less announcements and was shorter. Mini Direct was around 15 min all regular Directs for Switch were at least 30 min.

Again, I am not saying we will have regular or Mini Direct, I will be fine even with Mini Direct because we will again have some good and interesting announcements in any case, but Mini Direct is real possibility same like regular Direct.

Last edited:
Wild and unlikely speculation about 2019:

January: NSMBU
February: Daemon X Machina
March: Yoshi's Crafted World
April: Wii U port (Xenoblade Chronicles X???)
May: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
June: Luigi's Mansion 3
July: Retro Studios' game
August: Town
September: Pikmin 4
October: Animal Crossing
November: Pokemon RPG
December: Metroid Prime 4

Could easily see only 1 of those unannounced/no release date games (Wii U port, Retro, Pikmin, MP4) actually hitting 2019.

Other than XCX, the only other Wii U ports I can see happening are Wonderful 101 and (less likely I think) Super Mario 3D World.

Could easily see only 1 of those unannounced/no release date games (Wii U port, Retro, Pikmin, MP4) actually hitting 2019.

Other than XCX, the only other Wii U ports I can see happening are Wonderful 101 and (less likely I think) Super Mario 3D World.
Swap AC with Retro's game/Star Fox Grand Prix and that's what I expect. Though I might list August as an empty month or an easy slot for a port like XCX or W101. Town doesn't seem like the caliber of game to carry an entire month.

seems good

Most of it will be delayed

February: Wii U/Wii port(Xenoblade Chronicles X or Metroid Prime Trilogy HD???)
March: Daemon X Machina
April: Yoshi's Crafted World
July: Animal Crossing
August: Town & Bayonetta 3
September: 2D Zelda
October: Retro Studios game(Star Fox!)

I bolded my changes with your predictions. I think they could release more software than just 1 title a month especially if you count titles that were developed by 3rd parties but published by Nintendo. Unfortunately I dont see Pikmin 4 making it but I would absolutely love to be wrong. Given Zelda's release history, I'd say it is incredibly likely that there will be a Zelda game releasing in 2019.

So Dragalia Lost is out in some countries and it's pretty much the kinda game that would be Perfect for Switch™

The combat and levels themselves are obviously tailored to a mobile experience so not extremely complex but everything surrounding the game is pretty cool. Multiple characters each with their own small stories, tons of loot, easy co-op. It's a bit generic, sure, but it works exactly as I expected it to. I hope they get to expand on it beyond the mobile game.

So Dragalia Lost is out in some countries and it's pretty much the kinda game that would be Perfect for Switch™

The combat and levels themselves are obviously tailored to a mobile experience so not extremely complex but everything surrounding the game is pretty cool. Multiple characters each with their own small stories, tons of loot, easy co-op. It's a bit generic, sure, but it works exactly as I expected it to. I hope they get to expand on it beyond the mobile game.
Dragalia Found announced for Switch.

That's exactly how I feel. With Pokemon Quest and Dawn Breakers being ported from mobile to Switch, you'd think Dragalia Lost would equally serve as a nice fit for Switch. I doubt it, but I would really love it if Nintendo brought it over, even if it were just a straight port.

Doesn't help that the controls in Dragalia aren't the best really. Would work a lot better with a pad.

Considering they have already had troubles with development times I feel like this list is beyond unlikely and more into unreasonable.

Also they have already spun out from that 1 game / month release this year so I don't really believe they could maintain this next year.

I would cross Pikmin and Metroid off from that. Luigi's Mansion is probably delayed to 2020. Dunno about AC.

edit: I also personally hope they never port XCX to any machine. It was overrated and sluggish fetchfetchfetchquest. If they want to port good WiiU games then port Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World or Paper Mario Color Splash

Last edited: