It’s October. The leaves are turning, Walking Dead is about to premiere, and New York Comic Con is here!
- Artist Alley and the Autograph area swap places
The "Artist Alley in 1E" experiment last year was a hot mess. Literally. This year AA will be housed where the Autograph area was usually located and vice versa.
- Anime Fest
Anime Expo and ReedPop brings you a entirely different event, with separate tickets, in a separate area! Badges are still available.
- The Studio @ NYCC
An evolution of what they started doing at Hudson Mercantile, The Studio features separately ticketed events off-site at Shop Studios.
- NYCC Now
This seems like NYCC Presents, but year round… but doesn’t entirely replace NYCC Presents? I don’t know. If you download the app, go to enough events, and share enough pics, you can win a pair of 4-day badges for NYCC 2019.
- Pre-Show Lotteries
Don’t forget to enter the lottery system for autographs, exclusives, panels and screenings. Lottery entry ends Monday, 9/24, at 5pm EST. Winners will be notified via email by Friday, 9/28. If you don’t win a seat for a panel, you can still try lining up for it in the morning inside the Queue Hall.
Maps: Javits Overview | Show Floor | Artist Alley | Area Map | Anime Festhttp://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/RNA/RNA_NewYorkComicCon_V2/2018/_docs/NYCC-2018-Campus-Area-Map.pdf
Exhibitors: Exhibitor List (including Artist Alley) | Exclusives | Deals
View All | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday
The Main Hall is still being cleared out after every panel, but you can reserve a seat by either entering the lottery or by lining up each day for badge tapping. Details here.
The Studio @ NYCC | Map
* Panels here are separately ticketed events. A NYCC badge is not required.
The Hammerstein Ballroom | Map
Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden | Map
The Beat usually compiles all the panels into one long list. I’ll link it here if they put it up.
Variety has posted a list of all the television panels and screenings.
- Titans screening and panel: Wednesday, 10/3, 7:30pm, Hammerstein Ballroom
No NYCC badge necessary. You’ll need to enter the lottery for a chance to go.
- Cowboy Bebop 20th Anniversary panel: Thursday, 10/4, 4pm, 1A06
- Mortal Engines panel: Friday, 10/5, 12pm, MSG
- The Boys panel: Friday, 10/5, 3pm, Hammerstein Ballroom
I believe this is the first panel of the upcoming adaptation of The Boys.
- Netflix & Chills panel: Friday, 10/5, 7:30pm, Main Stage 1D
Netflix’s block includes panels for The Umbrella Academy, The Haunting of Hill House, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and The Dark Crystal: The Age of Resistance.
- Good Omens panel: Saturday, 10/6, 10am, MSG
Neil Gaiman! David Tennant! Michael Sheen!
- Hellboy panel: Saturday, 10/6, 11am, Main Stage 1D
The first panel for the upcoming Hellboy movie.
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse panel: Saturday, 10/6, 11:30am, MSG
- Daredevil screening and panel: Saturday, 10/6, 1:30pm, MSG
- NYCC Charity Art Auction: Saturday, 10/6, 6:30pm, 1A18
- NYCC Champions of Cosplay: Saturday, 10/6, 8pm, Main Stage 1D
- There’s this show called The Walking Dead, you might’ve heard of it: Saturday, 10/6, 8pm, MSG
- What We Do in the Shadows screening and panel: Sunday, 10/7, 12pm, Hammerstein Ballroom
Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement will be there to answer questions about the show… which takes place on Staten Island?!
- Anime Fest @ NYCC x Anime Expo
- Five Points Fest pop-up shop
- DMC5 fan event: Satuday, 10/6, 4pm, SPiN NYC
- Simone Bianchi’s Marvel Masterpieces
Metropolis Gallery has a show displaying Simon Bianchi’s work. Opening reception is on Friday, 10/5.
- Doc Hammer “The Black Ones” gallery show
Doesn’t seem like there’s going to be any Adult Swim presence at the show… so I guess you can bug Doc Hammer at his gallery show? Gallery party is on Friday, 10/5.
- Kaiju Big Battel: Sunday, 10/7, 3pm, The Bell House
- New York Comic Con Pub Crawl: Friday, 10/5, 5pm, House of Brews
- Comic Con Happy Hour Celebration: Friday, 10/5, 6:30pm, Society of Illustrators
The Society of Illustrators is hosting a party on Friday, 10/5. They have some pretty good shows up, including art from The Avengers, EC Comics, and MAD.
- NYCC Heroes After Dark: Friday, 10/5, 8pm, Stage 48
- Good Omens party: Saturday, 10/6, 9pm, Lightbox
- Sonicboombox after parties: There's one each night from Thursday to Saturday.
Details and tickets here.
Having difficulty thinking of subject for a commission or sketch from an artist? Maybe do a search on Comic Art Fans to get an idea. It helped me while I was signing up for pre-show commissions.
Autographs and Photo Ops: View All | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday | Photo Ops
We’ve all been crunched for time and had to get something quick at the Javits. Preferably, you’d find some alternatives…
Food Trucks: They’ll be around and the quality is usually better than what’s inside, BUT they do have to negotiate their pricing with the Javits so it might be pricier than you’re accustomed to.
The NYCC site has a listing of nearby restaurants, but here’s a list of personal favorites:
Old Country Coffee: Good sandwiches and a nice alternative to the Starbucks in the Javits.
Gotham West Market: A lot of different venues. Good food.
Daisy May’s BBQ: A bit of a trek but it’s good BBQ... just don’t get the brisket.
Skylight Diner: Decent diner.
Pio Pio: Good Peruvian food.
Food Depot Gourmet Deli/Food Fair Deli & Pizza: Places you can stock up on snacks/water. Maybe get a breakfast sandwich to go.
New to the con? Don't worry, I’ve developed the M.I.C.H.O.N.N.E. system to help you get through it.
M – Money. Bring cash. Some folks are still cash only and you’ll save time from lining up at an ATM.
I – Implement a plan. Figure out what you want to do beforehand. Consider fallback plans if a panel or line fills up.
C – Cleanse. Do everyone a kindness. Shower and use deodorant.
H – Haul your schwag. Bring a backpack, tubes, whatever you need to lug your purchases safely around.
O – Observe @NYCCLines. It’ll update with line statuses throughout the day.
N – Nap. Okay, don’t actually nap, but take a rest every now and then.
N – Nourishment. Bring some snacks along.
E – Energon. Outlets and charging stations will be mobbed. Pack a spare battery or charger.
A few NYC-Era folks are going to meet up before the con at Barcade Chelsea for the Brooklyn Defender Pint Night event on 9/26. Event starts at 6pm.