NYCC 2018 (Oct 4-7) |OT| Marry Funko, F Batman, Kill Walking Dead

Interesting they are half hinting at the potential 5th day being Monday. Do people still get Columbus Day off? I cant remember the last time I did. School kids might be out though, which would work

Lyft is quoting me a shared price of 60$¡ or solo for $65. Is the shared 60 each or 30ish each?
That sounds about right. 2 weeks ago going from JFK to Northern Manhattan/The Bronx, My mom paid $70 for a group ride share which included 3 passengers as well as my brother and I. Lyft throws out discount codes all the time to mitigate the costs even more. If you're carrying a carry-on and one piece of luggage, I honestly don't see any harm in taking the air train plus the subway as it's significantly cheaper. It all depends on your budget of course. I'm pretty sure you want to save most of your budget for food, drinks, travel, and money you plan to spend at the con.
Interesting they are half hinting at the potential 5th day being Monday. Do people still get Columbus Day off? I cant remember the last time I did. School kids might be out though, which would work
I hate the name of the holiday but generally, most people get the day off including public sector workers and public college students. Wednesday could work as a full day even though it would get significantly less attendance being in the middle week. I think Wednesday can work as press/industry only day like other industry shows.

EDIT: Originally posted in the gaming thread but Remedy is showing off Control at a panel next Friday. Guests will include Sam Lake, Courtney Hope, and two additional cast members. Details here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoPEeVRnlVJ/

Last edited:
If I had to guess, I say it probably cost more to be on the show floor which probably sees more foot traffic.
Artist Alley is way more competitive to get into versus say having an artist table on the show floor where more indie comic book artists and all kinds of other stuff are found. However, I heard that there are loopholes for getting a table at Artist Alley i.e. artists have to be published in a major comic book company i.e. Image Comics, Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc. It also helps knowing a few people that work at ReedPOP to increase one's chances.

But I've seen artists that have never done work for a major publisher that return constantly (I could be wrong). Exhibiting in Artist Alley is a big deal for comic book creators and rising writers/artists looking to make new connections. The show floor gets more way more activity than Artist Alley but a small table/booth will have a hard time getting discovered and need to hand out swag or do some arbitrary thing to get people to come to their table.

The website that I write for had a small table on the show floor last year and found it a waste of money since it was pricey. This year, they're just doing straight up press work, bouncing around as many interviews with artists, TV and film stars as possible, and cranking out content for traffic. One of my friends also used to exhibit at cons with his brother and didn't like it because it was hard to find time to take a break.
This is great insight, thanks! I didn't know Artists' Alley was that competitive. I always assumed it was either first come or just random lottery drawings.

Are there also rules about companies having their presence in Artists' Alley or do they have to shell out for an expensive booth in the exhibition area? Are there restrictions about what you can sell in Artists' Alley vs regular exhibition spots?

I'm thinking of having a presence next year to promote an indie game I'm working on and trying to figure out what would work best. I'll probably attend a few cons in the next few months and see how everyone has their stuff set up to get an idea. I wish I could've gotten single day tickets for Saturday or Sunday for NYCC. Maybe I can get out of work early and swing by on Thursday for a few hours.

Messi

Community Resettler
That sounds about right. 2 weeks ago going from JFK to Northern Manhattan/The Bronx, My mom paid $70 for a group ride share which included 3 passengers as well as my brother and I. Lyft throws out discount codes all the time to mitigate the costs even more. If you're carrying a carry-on and one piece of luggage, I honestly don't see any harm in taking the air train plus the subway as it's significantly cheaper. It all depends on your budget of course. I'm pretty sure you want to save most of your budget for food, drinks, travel, and money you plan to spend at the con.

I hate the name of the holiday but generally, most people get the day off including public sector workers and public college students. Wednesday could work as a full day even though it would get significantly less attendance being in the middle week. I think Wednesday can work as press/industry only day like other industry shows.

EDIT: Originally posted in the gaming thread but Remedy is showing off Control at a panel next Friday. Guests will include Sam Lake, Courtney Hope, and two additional cast members. Details here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoPEeVRnlVJ/
Yeah I'm in no rush, I just have a backpack. No luggage or anything. Just don't like the idea of getting lost trying to figure out the subway. As I wont have phone network access or Internet access (coming from Ireland see)

So if the driver picks up a second fare its 120$ for him? That's a sweet deal for him lol. Or maybe I'm miss understanding. I guess it would be $60 for me regardless.

This is great insight, thanks! I didn't know Artists' Alley was that competitive. I always assumed it was either first come or just random lottery drawings.

Are there also rules about companies having their presence in Artists' Alley or do they have to shell out for an expensive booth in the exhibition area? Are there restrictions about what you can sell in Artists' Alley vs regular exhibition spots?

I'm thinking of having a presence next year to promote an indie game I'm working on and trying to figure out what would work best. I'll probably attend a few cons in the next few months and see how everyone has their stuff set up to get an idea. I wish I could've gotten single day tickets for Saturday or Sunday for NYCC. Maybe I can get out of work early and swing by on Thursday for a few hours.

Artist Alley is strictly for comic book writers, artists, and a few companies that pay for space/sponsor the area such as Comixology, an art supply store or two, and Copic. I've never seen games demoed there but several artists that table there dabbled in the game industry. Most artists sell prints, original, commissioned art, books, pins, and other stuff. I see a TON of fan art at Artist Alley every year which is fine because it sells but YMMV. I doubt anyone has been sued by a major company.

I think generally, most people exhibiting on the show sell stuff or promote something. I've seen quite a few mobile/Indie games here and there over the years but something like the Indie Mega Booth/Indie Mini Booth doesn't exist at NYCC. As a whole, most big game companies save their salvos for the PAX cons. On the show floor, there's more NSFW stuff but it's in the outer perimeters of the show floor as far as I know.

If you're showing off your game, I would say to apply for Game Devs of Color Expo, IndieCade East, Play NYC, and go to a few Playcrafting events in the city. I would also suggest participating in the Global Game Jam if you've never done one.
Yeah I'm in no rush, I just have a backpack. No luggage or anything. Just don't like the idea of getting lost trying to figure out the subway. As I wont have phone network access or Internet access (coming from Ireland see)

So if the driver picks up a second fare its 120$ for him? That's a sweet deal for him lol. Or maybe I'm miss understanding. I guess it would be $60 for me regardless.
One of my editors is from Ireland funny enough but I'm not sure which city. The subway is pretty straightforward once you figure out out where you're going. It gets overwhelming in the amount of stations that one can transfer to other trains to get to different areas.

I would say to download a PDF of the MTA subway into your phone/tablet and/or print it to study it. Most subway stations have free Wi-Fi including JFK so it shouldn't be too much of an issue to navigate. Also, every swipe includes a free bus transfer and vice versa i.e. if you get off on the west side of a subway and want to get to the east, you can wait for the crosstown bus and take it. If worse comes to worse, you can always ask an MTA worker or a local for directions. The Citymapper app is useful too.

Yup, that sounds about right. That excludes Lyft/Uber's cut but it's still pretty solid money. There's good money to be made driving passengers to and from the airport. Cab drivers are aggressive about asking travelers if they need a ride.

The Game of Thrones one that Fallengorn posted above. I put a +1 in case anyone goes or I invite a friend. I won't know until next week. I've never seen the show aside from a few scenes so I don't care about it.

I won Deadly Class autograph session.
Are they sending more emails out or is the one all you get?
I think it's the only one you get. They send it out in one shot.

Edit: You can also win last minute lotteries by tapping into XP machines.

Last edited:
I won Deadly Class autograph session.
Are they sending more emails out or is the one all you get?
I think it's the only one you get. They send it out in one shot.

Edit: You can also win last minute lotteries by tapping into XP machines.
I don't know if the one email you receive is the only one(s) you won for the lottery, however if you did win another selection for the Lottery, you'll get another email.

I don't know if the one email you receive is the only one(s) you won for the lottery, however if you did win another selection for the Lottery, you'll get another email.
That’s good to know. Anything past Wednesday in the afternoon is a loaded plate for me. Should I win, I'll give it to a friend. Hopefully in the next day or so it'll roll out.

Anyone here apply for the TITANS World Premiere Panel and get an email yesterday (9/28)?
I've seen some people get various panels like Critical Role or autographs or Funko, but I'm curious if the TITANS Panel emails have already been sent out

Anyone here apply for the TITANS World Premiere Panel and get an email yesterday (9/28)?
I've seen some people get various panels like Critical Role or autographs or Funko, but I'm curious if the TITANS Panel emails have already been sent out
Nope, I did not. But people who have a DC Universe account (You can create one if you don't have an account.) can apply for it as an extra chance. Winners will be announced on Monday and reply within 24hrs to confirm their attendance. Source (Thanks to rac7d in the NYCC subreddit.) : https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/titans-premiere-sweepstakes/

For the wrasslin fans:
Bleeding Cool has a comprehensive list of every NYCC event from next Monday-Sunday. Here's two stand outs:
More events in the link plus descriptions: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09/28/new-york-comic-con-2018-party-list-a-second-stab/

For anyone looking for romance, speed dating at NYCC is back again for another year under NY Minute. It's going to be at E104 (near the Autographing area): http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Pages/Standard.aspx?id=21910

Schedule ($20 fee to participate):
Friday, October 9
  • 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
  • LGBT Men: 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
  • 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Saturday, October 10
  • 10:45 AM – 12:30 PM
  • LGBT Women: 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM
  • 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM
  • 7:30 PM – 9:15 PM
Sunday, October 11
  • 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
  • 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Here's Epic Reads' free books schedule (booth #2119; starts at 11AM every day):

Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Much more in the link here: http://www.epicreads.com/blog/new-york-comic-con-2018/

Lastly, this NYCC subreddit post has a list of interactive exhibits: https://www.reddit.com/r/NYCC/comments/9jtu4b/interactive_exhibits/

We're less than a week away. Get the vitamin C pills locked and loaded and hand sanitizer ready to go. Meeting Koji Igarashi and getting almost all my Igavania games signed by him last year was a highlight.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
I believe emails for the screening lotteries will go out on Monday.

Just a few more days til the con!

Some more exclusives:
Kid Robot: https://blog.kidrobot.com/kidrobot-x-nycc-2018-exclusives-signings-events-more/
Grey Matter Art: https://greymatterart.com/pages/nycc-2017

Also, there's a DMC5 fan event in Gramercy on Saturday:

I told this to Kanik in a PM but the average person has to ask themselves: Do I want take 4 hours of the biggest day the con to go a free event that's hosted by Sonic Boom Box at the chance of being one of the 100 people to get a free autograph? It's a risky gamble methinks but I suppose it's worth it for those who make the trek. I obviously can't go because I'll be working during that time. I'll be interested in seeing what the turn out looks like though.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
I told this to Kanik in a PM but the average person has to ask themselves: Do I want take 4 hours of the biggest day the con to go a free event that's hosted by Sonic Boom Box at the chance of being one of the 100 people to get a free autograph? It's a risky gamble methinks but I suppose it's worth it for those who make the trek. I obviously can't go because I'll be working during that time. I'll be interested in seeing what the turn out looks like though.
If you had a Saturday pass, it's really doubtful you'd make the trek. But if you don't, it might be worth it to drop by. It's also a decent walk from the Five Points pop-up.

I feel like these events are better off for the people who can't actually *go* to the con itself. I wouldn't do this, I spent already 120+ on two tickets for two days so I can go to NYCC for the 5th year in a row or what feels like the fifth. I don't have any wishes to go towards these events, doing panels inside the con is enough work as is. This is one of those things where gambling this vs time in the con just doesn't seem worth it if you have the con tickets.

Any one know a good way to score some cheap last minute tickets for Saturday? I only have Sunday tickets. Just once I like to have more time to enjoy the show.

Maybe the NYCC Reddit? They have a rule in there that states that can only sell tickets at face value. But they could very well be wolves in sheep's clothing. If you have the gift of gab, then try to haggle down the price.

This is the third time my friend and I have gone and this time we would like to take advantage of the restaurants since we're going into NYCC tomorrow.

I know the OP has some restaurants listed that are close by along with Action Burger, which I plan to try, but are there any must try places in NYC that I should look into? Whether it be a hole-in-the-wall type establishment or a well established restaurant within the city. Ideally, we are going to be around Manhattan, but we can take Lyft wherever need be.

This is the third time my friend and I have gone and this time we would like to take advantage of the restaurants since we're going into NYCC tomorrow.

I know the OP has some restaurants listed that are close by along with Action Burger, which I plan to try, but are there any must try places in NYC that I should look into? Whether it be a hole-in-the-wall type establishment or a well established restaurant within the city. Ideally, we are going to be around Manhattan, but we can take Lyft wherever need be.
Los Tacos No. 1 at the Chelsea Market.
Milk Bar for your sweet tooth (seriously, it is fucking crack).

Starting to get a little freaked out about the whole thing. Have Saturday and Sunday badges for myself and my niece(gift for her 20th bday). Also have a Friday anime only one just for myself so I can figure out how to navigate the city again(haven’t been in in like 16 years).

Niece was apparently lucky as hell, as she won the funko and Gotham lotteries apparently. Still, havent been to a con with over 500 people before let alone this one which would probably be over 150k easy. Thanks for the great OP as it’s a nice starting point. Got a new messenger bag and poster tube, so that part is at least covered. Think my flu shot from last year is still good, but definitely doing the vitamin thing. Even splurged and got a hotel room for sat, so going in hard. :p