NYT: Over 80,000 Americans Died of Flu Last Winter, Highest Toll in Years

Although 90 percent of those deaths were in people over age 65, the flu also killed 180 young children and teenagers, more than in any other year since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began using its current surveillance methods.

The estimates were released at a news conference held by the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases to urge Americans to get vaccinated and to fight the myths that scare off some people — such as the common misconception that flu shots can cause flu.

The high mortality rate was unusual because it was caused by a “normal” — albeit severe — flu season, not by a new pandemic influenza strain.
Because it takes more than six months to make each year’s vaccine, manufacturers have to choose in February what strains to put into shots that will be shipped in September. During that interim, circulating flus can mutate to become a partial mismatch to whatever was chosen.

But experts still urge people to get even imperfect shots, because while they may be only 40 percent effective at warding off body aches and runny noses, they are much more effective at preventing influenza’s worst outcome — death.
https://nyti.ms/2QmQlSD

That’s higher than the preliminary counts for opioid overdose deaths in 2017. Remember: getting the flu shot isn’t just about protecting yourself. It’s about protecting the medically frail people around you as well.

Takes almost no time to go get a vaccine too. Lots of employers cover it as part of health care, and some even do on-site vaccinations 1 or 2 days prior to the season starting.

I’ve never gotten a flu shot, as I never get sick. But My sister told me to get one ASAP if I want to be around her newborn. So I’m going this weekend.

But yet there's thread after thread of people almost bragging that they don't get the shot because they've never had the flu. It's like they don't realize that just getting it once can kill you. You are not some sort of super disease resistant mutant. You're simply lucky, so far.

I had the flu last year and I can confirm that this statistic makes sense. I literally felt like I was going to die and I thought that there at its peak intensity, I was precariously close to actually dying. My fevers had to be super bad. I was in a semi-conscious fever dream state and I couldn't even keep water down when it was at its worst.

Thankfully I recovered relatively quickly, but I can understand that statistic for sure. I need to get a flu shot, speaking of.

My coworkers all dont want to get it because they think its just gonna give you the flu

They also think climate change isnt true cause nasa is fudging the numbers

If you get the flu remember to stay hydrated.
Yes this, I think this is what legitimately saved me. In my flu stupor, I was somehow able to get from the bed and get a few glasses of water in a few different periods. Not sure how I had the presence enough to do this, but I did. I couldn't even really keep the water down, I was throwing it right back up, but I still made sure to try and drink as much as I could.

It was legitimately awful. Staying hydrated is definitely important.

County health department often has free or dirt cheap flu shots if you don’t have insurance.

If you actively neglect getting the flu shot, you’re putting peoples lives at risk.

Heads up for UK folk that you can get the flu jab at most pharmacies, Boots, Superdrug and several supermarkets such as Asda and Tesco. Usually around £10. The NHS only actively recommends it for people in at-risk groups but you might be doing someone in an at-risk group a favour by getting it done yourself. I usually get mine done through work.

Just got my shot today. I work in a hospital do it's mandatory but would still get regardless. We've already had at least one positive flu result so far so it seems to be starting early this year. Usually don't get the first until much later.

Haven't gotten a flu vaccine in years. Been sick a few times, but it's lasted three days tops on average. I usually start hammering home with medicine, vitamins, and shit the moment I feel the slightest hint of scratchy throat.

I got the flu last year for the first time and it was fucking horrible.

Got the flu shot for the first time ever this year.

Had my worst flu I can recall last year. Felt like one of those delerious childhood flus, with nights that felt like they went on forever, could barely walk. Also got the shot.

Kind of weirded me out, hadn’t experienced something like that in recent memory

Went to my doctor's office for an unrelated appointment and they just hit me with a flu shot on the house last year. Hoping it works like that this year.

I had the flu then too. I didn't have energy to eat for a week beyond drinking broth and I lost 10 pounds so it's a great diet plan, but the coughing and the sneezing was extremely painful and it was bad

Get the shot

I got the flu last year but it came without the regular pain so either it was a weird strain or the vaccine blunted its impact somewhat. Either way, even though it's still hot here I'm getting the flu shot soon.

Edit: And it's always good to get the vaccine even if you've never gotten it, because then you avoid being a possible vector for disease to more vulnerable people.

Ah yes, the yearly reminder that the flu may not kill you, but it could certainly kill someone you pass it to. Like your kids. Or your parents.

Enjoy!

I got the flu last year but it came without the regular pain so either it was a weird strain or the vaccine blunted its impact somewhat. Either way, even though it's still hot here I'm getting the flu shot soon.
Last years vaccine had a 41% block rate sadly. I'm probably remembering the %wrong but it wasn't great.

I haven’t gotten the flu shot in 20 years and have never gotten the flu. Thinking about it this year though. Though it’s 90% over age 65.
The point of everyone getting the flu shot is not just to protect yourself but to protect the old and weak. Read up on herd immunity. Even if the flu barely affects you, you can pass it on to someone who will get very sick or who will then pass it on to someone else that will eventually make it's way to someone who will be significantly harmed by it.

I haven’t gotten the flu shot in 20 years and have never gotten the flu. Thinking about it this year though. Though it’s 90% over age 65.
The point of everyone getting the flu shot is not just to protect yourself but to protect the old and weak. Read up on herd immunity. Even if the flu barely affects you, you can pass it on to someone who will get very sick or who will then pass it on to someone else that will eventually make it's way to someone who will be significantly harmed by it.

That still sounds a lot better than 0%.

Thanks for reminding me, OP. I just booked an appointment for my flu shot in a month.
It also significantly reduces the severity of the flu if you do catch it

Yeah, reminder to get the flu shot. It could end up saving your or someone else's life. It takes ten minutes and barely costs a thing (if anything at all).