NYT: Over 80,000 Americans Died of Flu Last Winter, Highest Toll in Years

Haven't gotten a shot since high school required to do so. This year I got pretty sick twice so I'm going to be first line next time they start rolling out.

I get a flu shot for free from work. I love doing it, I feel like a responsible person the rest of the day like if I had just voted or volunteered. I love that feeling and it is so rare

That's better than I had heard. I can't imagine trying to actually make the stuff because of how far out they have to make it.
Last year's shot, IIRC, was pretty much close to ineffective. It was much worse than 40-ish percent, but the numbers may have been revised afterward?

Haven’t had a flu shot in years but I also rarely ever get sick now which is an interesting turnaround from when I was kid, as I STAYED sick during that time.
Get a goddam flu shot. It's not for you, it's for everyone else. You may not get sick, but you may have the flu in a light capacity and give it to some kid that can't get vaccinated (cancer) or other reasons.

My wife got the vaccine last year and still ended up with the flu over Christmas. Her immune system isn’t the greatest so she regularly gets sick but she said that the flu she got last year made her the sickest she had ever been. It was nasty to say the least. I’m glad we went to the doctor when we did and got her on meds. I can only imagine what had happened if she had tried to ride it out...

Both I believe, and I think they still have that deal where if you go to a CVS in Target you get a $5 Target gift card.

Help protect your community and get a free pack of Jelly Bellys? And people are against this!
Perfect, there is a Target by my college. I'll head over there because I'm seeing way too many fucking people coughing without even attempting to cover their mouths.

The point of everyone getting the flu shot is not just to protect yourself but to protect the old and weak. Read up on herd immunity. Even if the flu barely affects you, you can pass it on to someone who will get very sick or who will then pass it on to someone else that will eventually make it's way to someone who will be significantly harmed by it.
This is a good point.

Booked the girlfriend and me in at the weekend to get our jabs, £25 pound for us both at Boots (UK Era).

It will either stop or at the very least minimize the impact, this year's jab covered four strains.

Good to go.

Last year's shot, IIRC, was pretty much close to ineffective. It was much worse than 40-ish percent, but the numbers may have been revised afterward?
Thats a downer, I think I would be more likely to get these if they were less variable and if every other one wasn't a placebo

Thats a downer, I think I would be more likely to get these if every other one wasn't a placebo
How is it a placebo? The power of vaccines is that their utility compounds when more people take them. Yeah, 50 percent effective is better than 40, but if you increase the amount of people that get the vaccine you can make up the difference.

I don't know what the final tally was for last season, but near the end we were at 86 deaths here in Alberta, up from 60-some the previous year. Vaccination rates were up slightly, too, but still only at 27%. More worrying, only 64% of healthcare workers are vaccinated for the flu - BC had some union pushback against mandatory flu vaccines which made them soften here as well.

It's one thing to have the general public choose whether they vaccinate or not - it's another for people who work daily with those with compromised immune systems.

Thats a downer, I think I would be more likely to get these if they were less variable and if every other one wasn't a placebo
The problem wasn't that they identified the wrong strain, but that there was a manufacturing issue with the vaccine itself.

Having said that, the effectiveness of any flu vaccine isn't going to be perfect as it doesn't protect you from all strains. That's why Tail Spike Protein (TSP) vaccines are the new hotness, but that's nowhere close for public use as of yet.

It amazes me that it's 2018 and so many otherwise highly intelligent people that I know are so fucking ignorant about vaccines and the flu. One of my coworkers a few days ago was literally blowing it off going, "YEAH I'M GONNA INJECT MYSELF WITH A LIVE VIRUS OOOOOOKAAAAY." and another dropped the, "I never get the flu so why do I need it?" line.

Nah. The overall effectiveness was about 40%, accounting for variability in strain effectiveness.

In my late twenties I never saw the need to get a flu shot. I could only recall having it once or maybe twice since childhood (too many confuse having the flu with having a really bad cold or upper respiratory infection which is why I don't think they take it seriously).

That was until...

Late October 2009 I got really sick (wasn't positive it was the flu or something else). I put off going to the doctor since like any other cold I got through it just fine. When things didn't get better I ended up having to go to the ER because I barely had the energy to even walk. It turned not only did I have H1N1 but even worse I had developed a bad case of pneumonia (probably due to my weakened immune state).

The doctor prescribed a Z pack and I was supposed to be fine within 7 days or so. Unfortunately within 36 hours or so I was back in the ER. This time I had to be wheeled in via wheelchair. I was only with the doctor a short time before he decided they needed to admit me. They first tried to put me on a CPAP but I didn't have the lung strength to be able to breathe through it and they ended up having to intubate me and place me in a medically induced coma. I remained in that state within the ICU for almost a week during which I almost died at a certain point. After coming out of the coma I remained in the hospital for a few more days at which point I was released but with instruction to stay home and recover for 3 weeks (didn't return to work until after Thanksgiving - I was on short term disability).

Anyway, since that experience (which was around $80,000 - luckily covered by insurance except for my deductible which was $2000 but I had enough in my HSA to cover) I always make sure to get vaccinated...both for flu and pneumonia.

Lots of talk about people needing to get the flu shots in the first place, but is this jump in flu deaths also not affected by the fact that they missed the flu strain last year?

It amazes me that it's 2018 and so many otherwise highly intelligent people that I know are so fucking ignorant about vaccines and the flu. One of my coworkers a few days ago was literally blowing it off going, "YEAH I'M GONNA INJECT MYSELF WITH A LIVE VIRUS OOOOOOKAAAAY." and another dropped the, "I never get the flu so why do I need it?" line.
The entire world needs public health awareness campaigns to be better funded.

If I was rich I'd create a foundation to do exactly that.

The entire world needs public health awareness campaigns to be better funded.
The one I heard after arguing about the necessity of the flu vaccine was the whole big pharma money making conspiracy. Obviously I called that shit out with some actual facts but it's still crazy to believe people think that way.

The one I heard after arguing about the necessity of the flu vaccine was the whole big pharma money making conspiracy. Obviously I called that shit out with some actual facts but it's still crazy to believe people think that way.
If it's such a big money making scheme why can you get them free at so many locations?

I remember there was always something on the front page of the newspapers about the flu last year and early this year.

I got the flu back in 2014 and since then I always got the flu shot. Took me less than 10 minutes last week to fill out info and get it done.

Considering the costs involved and the time of medical professionals involved, free to fifty bucks is not a big pharma conspiracy, it's a fucking bargain. I'd happily take a day or two of toxicity every year over a full blown case of influenza, which can last a week to ten days of progressively worsening debilitation.

No.

The overall vaccine effectiveness was about the same as the previous year.
See, I'm not sure how much I trust the current CDC source which pegs it at 40%, because there were lots of articles during the 2017-18 season that stated it was super ineffective.

http://time.com/5138100/how-effective-is-the-2018-flu-shot/
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/flu-vaccine-1.4515141
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/flu-vaccine-effectiveness-in-2017-to-2018-season
This one's the big one: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1714916

(Also, the NEJM article states that it was actually both a mutation and a problem with the manufacturing process, the first point being unknown to me until this time)

The problem wasn't that they identified the wrong strain, but that there was a manufacturing issue with the vaccine itself.

Having said that, the effectiveness of any flu vaccine isn't going to be perfect as it doesn't protect you from all strains. That's why Tail Spike Protein (TSP) vaccines are the new hotness, but that's nowhere close for public use as of yet.
Cool, I need to look into that

I wiener how many of those Americans said to themselves beforehand “I never get the flu”
One of my coworkers said that, and I wanted to say that he should shred his bachelor of *Science* diploma in engineering but also it was work so I had to act nice.

Laid me out pretty good at the beginning of the year, and put me in the hospital around 10 years ago. I think part of the problem is how many workplaces will get after you for calling off. During flu season, there's always a few people that won't/can't stay away from work.

90% of the victims are over 65.

Make sure your parents get vaccinated. You should too, of course. Especially if you know you have a weaker immune system. But your parents 100%.