PhD paper on The Last Jedi hate [directed at Rian Johnson]: mostly alt-right trolls, incl. Russians

The whole "people who hate TLJ are alt-right" is such a mind fuck to me. I think it's a sign of the times that the notion even exists.

I straight up thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and I've been a huge Star Wars fan since the original trilogy came out. It felt like I was watching the prequels at many times. Just nothing in it made any sense or had any coherence to it. It was like the three stooges made a Star Wars.

Luke phoning in the final battle was such a 2018 corporate thing to do and I'm still in shock how anticlimactic it was. Here's hoping IX rights the course.
It's not a coincidence that there's a ton of crossover between people who lean into alt right mindsets and people who dislike the last jedi as it directly attacks the former as well as the useful moderate on top of making a commentary on what we expect from media. Your post is an example of it, Luke's final battle is apparently anticlimactic? A criticism that makes no sense when you consider that it's the ultimate culmination of what we should expect from him:

but the problem is that, due to an insanely incoherent expanded universe that many many many times completely ignored what star wars is about, people expect this:

A message about self confidence gets turned into "He's so badass and has such a high powerlevel that he deflects AT-AT blasts"

Last edited:
It's not a coincidence that there's a ton of crossover between people who lean into alt right mindsets and people who dislike the last jedi as it directly attacks the former as well as the useful moderate on top of making a commentary on what we expect from media. Your post is an example of it, Luke's final battle is apparently anticlimactic? A criticism that makes no sense when you consider that it's the ultimate culmination of what we should expect from him:

Boom.

It's so weird to me how many ignore this characterisation.

Did you see the 2 minutes before that when he destroyed Darth Vader? Are you saying he was a projection there also?

Stinkles

343 Industries
Verified
Topic Title: "Last Jedi haters are alt-right trolls and russian bots"
Actual Data: "Twitter users who directly messaged Rian Johnson to troll Last Jedi are mostly alt-right and russian bots."

These are substantially different conclusions.

OH RLY COMRADE???111/s

Did you see the 2 minutes before that when he destroyed Darth Vader? Are you saying he was a projection there also?

Lad....do you mean the two minutes where it's literally presented as a bad thing that he's doing this as he's literally at that time in his life the closest he's ever been to turning to the dark side and becoming a new Vader?

Topic Title: "Last Jedi haters are alt-right trolls and russian bots"
Actual Data: "Twitter users who directly messaged Rian Johnson to troll Last Jedi are mostly alt-right and russian bots."

These are substantially different conclusions.
Yeah, like I have no beef with anyone involved and don’t really care since Star Wars isn’t something I care about but Last Jedi is a flawed film.

So what's that mean? Luke enforced a policy of fighting all of his battles via videoconference at that point?
He decided violence and embracing anger wasn't the way to fight. My flying spaghetti monster.
That. Also you do understand he would have been blown the fuck up if he was in Craig in person? He says as much, and it's always been pretty clear that Jedi can't just take on armies on their own.

He managed to literally stop an army singlehandedly without attacking or harming anyone.

If you want to argue the quality of the joke, then you're free to do so. To say that the person who enjoys the joke is "bringing in" nazi's in their justification as to why they like the joke (which shouldn't need to be defended to begin with because humor is subjective) is trying to falsely attribute them with changing the the circumstances of the joke.

Debate the point you want to debate. Don't deflect and then get mad when your deflection is pointed out as inaccurate.
"people didnt like it because it was about toxic masculinity"
"or it was a bad movie"
"name something you didnt like. dont just say it was 'bad'"
"the opening sucked"
"actually, youre wrong. prank calls are really common in star wars. also. nazis"
"what do nazis have to do with prank calls?"
"lol, u mad bro? why you deflecting so much??"

the internet.

Isn't it weird how, in a series that also features the Star Wars prequel trilogy, TLJ is considered the controversial divisive one? I do think social media has completely augmented our discussion of it, even if through legitimate posters.
It's not that surprising when you think about it. The prequels aren't as controversial because they're almost universally agreed to be awful. TLJ generates so much discussion and controversy because of the clash between the people who love it and the people who hate it.

Except the ot had this stuff too. And you act like this is a shock when someone already said aotc is when it happened. Are you sure you've seen the other SW movies?
I've seen them all except ham solo. Tlj is the worst, by far. The ot was never this bad. A prank call that's not funny at all that went on far too long. Oof!

I've seen them all except ham solo. Tlj is the worst, by far. The ot was never this bad. A prank call that's not funny at all that went on far too long. Oof!
A scene that didn't last a minute. OT had goofy gags that went on longer. OT was full of gags and jokes. TLJ didn't have more jokes or silly humor than the OT.

The prank call was very much in line with OT style humor, whether you liked it or not it fit alongside the humor we had in the OT.

Btw...this is the third time in this thread I believe you have said "Ham Solo". I am not sure how much you even remember about the OT at this point lol.

So what's that mean? Luke enforced a policy of fighting all of his battles via videoconference at that point?

This is why is so difficult to have a good conversation about TLJ. Many (but #NotAllStarWarsfans) of those who did not like the film, if you probe just a little, turns out they never understood the fairy tale with sci-fi that is Star Wars, or understand movies at all.

Not saying TLJ is perfect, but I do wonder why some of you are fans of Star Wars or movies at all.

This is why is so difficult to have a good conversation about TLJ. Many (but #NotAllStarWarsfans) of those who did not like the film, if you probe just a little, turns out they never understood the fairy tale with sci-fi that is Star Wars, or understand movies at all.

Not saying TLJ is perfect, but I do wonder why some of you are fans of Star Wars or movies at all.
Whenever I hear people say they wanted Luke to have a badass fight, pull down a ship with the force, etc. I always think....

Have any of these people even seen Star Wars?

A message hammered home across Star Wars media the last 40 years is Jedi being warriors fighting wars is BAD. That is not who the Jedi were meant to be. The Jedi way is not about being a badass or fighting people.

Random nobody reviews that are written by bots and people who haven't seen the movie are more reliable than actual reviews from people that have seen it, because reasons. Don't you know.
Anybody still citing the RT user scores is clearly arguing in bad faith. Nobody ever cited it then, nobody cites it now. Only in this one specific interest. It's no different than review bombing a game on Steam for stupid, petty reasons.

"people didnt like it because it was about toxic masculinity"
"or it was a bad movie"
"name something you didnt like. dont just say it was 'bad'"
"the opening sucked"
"actually, youre wrong. prank calls are really common in star wars. also. nazis"
"what do nazis have to do with prank calls?"
"lol, u mad bro? why you deflecting so much??"

the internet.
You don't see how disingenuous it is to boil down statements to these inaccurate caricatures? For example, I did state that you deflected but didn't say anything along the lines of "u mad bro?" which is a statement meant to ascribe false emotions in an attempt to dismiss someone's point of view. What I said was you can't get mad at someone pointing out the fallacy in your arguement, which is what you actually did when you decided to intentionally paraphrase with reductionist parody quotes then stated you were leaving the conversation.

If you want quality conversation you have to provide it from your end as well. Which you haven't done since you were shown that your initial statement was poorly targeted.

I can attest that I loved The Last Jedi, but I keep getting anti-TLJ videos on Youtube. Seems like there's more promotion for the anti crowd than those for it.

Imagine spending all that time getting a PhD only to waste it defending a bad Star Wars movie. Yikes. Is being a TLJ fan now a requirement for being a progressive?

Goddamn, Russians are even after Star Wars?
Russia are highly invested in a destabilized and weak US which would shift the global power structure.

If there are ANY wedges that exist within America's social structures, bet money that the Russians will be involved.

The Russians are impressively well read on all the social issues going on the US today, and with Clown Pres constantly politicizing everything, he makes it stupid easy to push propaganda no matter the issue on topic

Imagine spending all that time getting a PhD only to waste it defending a bad Star Wars movie. Yikes. Is being a TLJ fan now a requirement for being a progressive?
It's not about TLJ, rather it's about how foreign agents can use social media to influence certain cultural groups by politicising criticism.

Han Solo tried to bluff his way out of a couple of tight spots. It didn't work in either case. The Empire looked semi-competent and professional in how they responded to obviously unusual behavior.

Poe flew right up to the First Order fleet and sent a ridiculous prank call and the First Order was like "huh buh wuh, huh, WHAAAA?" And it wasn't even some subordinate. It was the commander of the entire military standing there looking like a buffoon while Poe was like "no I'll wait, thanks, doot deet doot deet doot." It was ludicrous.

Not that this has much to do with the topic, TBQH.

I've never seen an alt-righter actually like the movie so it's hard to tell who's actually arguing against the movie in good faith or who's arguing Laura Dern's hair as some SJW crusade.

i didn't like TLJ....it's not the worst mainline Star Wars movie...(that dishonor belongs to ep2) but it's the 2nd worst IMO (yes, i'll rather watch ep1 than TLJ..so sue me).

That being said, i'm not upset enough to harass the director on twitter.........because i don't use twitter.

You don't see how disingenuous it is to boil down statements to these inaccurate caricatures? For example, I did state that you deflected but didn't say anything along the lines of "u mad bro?" which is a statement meant to ascribe false emotions in an attempt to dismiss someone's point of view. What I said was you can't get mad at someone pointing out the fallacy in your arguement, which is what you actually did when you decided to intentionally paraphrase with reductionist parody quotes then stated you were leaving the conversation.

If you want quality conversation you have to provide it from your end as well. Which you haven't done since you were shown that your initial statement was poorly targeted.
i have to paraphrase because you use a 100 words to essentially say what can be said in 10. brevity is the soul of wit.

"i never said anything like 'u mad bro'. what i said was 'u cant get mad bro'. its entirely different. also, u mad bro."

maybe step away from the thesaurus and get some air. the guy said TLJ was good because it subverted expectations. i said it opened with a yo momma joke. now i'm being told that i should expect yo momma jokes in a star wars movie. so are we subverting or are we not subverting? more over, who the fuck is defending a yo momma joke while in the same breath attacking toxic masculinity?

whatever whatever. the opening sucks, not just because of the joke. its the fact that we basically see the head of the bad guys about to destroy the good guys, he gives a long speech about killing everything and everyone. he has a full fleet of star ships. then he gets a prank call from a solitary xwing. and the head of the bad guys stops everything he's doing and falls for it. it neutered all tension for me. yes theres humour in star wars but it was never at the expense of story telling or tension. imo. dont forget, this is how the fucking movie starts. the rest of the movie doesnt fare much better. its riddled with bad story telling masquerading as subversion.

i have to paraphrase because you use a 100 words to essentially say what can be said in 10. brevity is the soul of wit.

"i never said anything like 'u mad bro'. what i said was 'u cant get mad bro'. its entirely different. also, u mad bro."

maybe step away from the thesaurus and get some air. the guy said TLJ was good because it subverted expectations. i said it opened with a yo momma joke. now i'm being told that i should expect yo momma jokes in a star wars movie. so are we subverting or are we not subverting? more over, who the fuck is defending a yo momma joke while in the same breath attacking toxic masculinity?

whatever whatever. the opening sucks, not just because of the joke. its the fact that we basically see the head of the bad guys about to destroy the good guys, he gives a long speech about killing everything and everyone. he has a full fleet of star ships. then he gets a prank call from a solitary xwing. and the head of the bad guys stops everything he's doing and falls for it. it neutered all tension for me. yes theres humour in star wars but it was never at the expense of story telling or tension. imo. dont forget, this is how the fucking movie starts. the rest of the movie doesnt fare much better. its riddled with bad story telling masquerading as subversion.
Thanks for sharing your opinion, can we bring this back to the actual topic?

Han Solo tried to bluff his way out of a couple of tight spots. It didn't work in either case. The Empire looked semi-competent and professional in how they responded to obviously unusual behavior.

Poe flew right up to the First Order fleet and sent a ridiculous prank call and the First Order was like "huh buh wuh, huh, WHAAAA?" And it wasn't even some subordinate. It was the commander of the entire military standing there looking like a buffoon while Poe was like "no I'll wait, thanks, doot deet doot deet doot." It was ludicrous.

Not that this has much to do with the topic, TBQH.
Wait, are people actually under the impression that Hux is anything other than snivveling weasel who is only where he is because he's a spineless yes man? Where does this impulse to defend the honor of General Rat-face come from?

Joking asides, I remember hearing that a lot of people outside the Anglosphere actually don't hate the prequels as much, because one of the worst aspects (the acting) doesn't translate when the movie is dubbed/subtitled.

My brother voted for Trump and hates TLJ so this checks out.

Also I can anecdotally confirm that my wife (who is naturalized) actually liked the prequels subtitled...and didn't Lucas say at one point that he thought they would work silent movies with only John William's score?

Say what you will about the prequels dialogue and outdated battle CGI aside they're beautiful to look at.

Wait, are people actually under the impression that Hux is anything other than snivveling weasel who is only where he is because he's a spineless yes man?
The contrast is the point. The original series even the rank-and-file officers were able to see through Han's bluffs. In one they send a patrol down to check on them even though he says everything is fine. In the other Vader waves the shuttle through because he wants to get them.

Meanwhile, it doesn't matter if it's Hux or not. The scene with Poe would have played out the same because The First Order are Disney villains. The fact it's Hux is just icing on the cake, showing how meaningless the entire thing is.

So many wrong takes, smh.

The contrast is the point. The original series even the rank-and-file officers were able to see through Han's bluffs. In one they send a patrol down to check on them even though he says everything is fine. In the other Vader waves the shuttle through because he wants to get them.

Meanwhile, it doesn't matter if it's Hux or not. The scene with Poe would have played out the same because The First Order are Disney villains. The fact it's Hux is just icing on the cake, showing how meaningless the entire thing is.
Did we watch the same movie?

spot on

Pictured: The competent and able officers of the Galactic Empire, nearly colliding their Star Destroyers together, in open space, trying to case a single freighter.