PhD paper on The Last Jedi hate [directed at Rian Johnson]: mostly alt-right trolls, incl. Russians

Imagine spending all that time getting a PhD only to waste it defending a bad Star Wars movie. Yikes. Is being a TLJ fan now a requirement for being a progressive?
It's not an article about defending TLJ. It is about Russian bots and alt-right trolls. And how those groups latched onto TLJ to the point the majority of negativity around the film on social media come from them.

Wait people are trying to pull the Empire are competent unlike the cartoonish First Order?

Empire fell for all kinds of insane nonsense in the OT and did really stupid things.

The majority thinks TLJ sucks and no amount of excuses and name calling will ever make it otherwise.
Too bad boxoffice and reviews don't agree pal. Critical and commercial success.

I would say TLJ was received pretty much in line with other 90%+ RT films that grossed over a billion.

It's kinda funny how there's an academic thesis where the conclusion literally amounts to "haters gonna hate". :p

I'll never understand the supposed polarization of audiences over movie. I say supposed because I have yet to meet anyone IRL who feels as strongly "for it" or "against it" as the reactions on twitter suggest. Makes you wonder how much of that polarization is genuine reactions vs reactions to the news of it being polarizing due to trolls attempting to stir up some chaos.

I’m guessing quite a few people on this forum did. It’s widely hated here.
The majority thinks TLJ sucks and no amount of excuses and name calling will ever make it otherwise.
Then why does every TLJ thread go for at least 10 pages? I'd say there is more TLJ praise than hate here based on my reading. Clearly the majority doesn't hate it or these threads would go no where.

people directly whining to the director about the movie? Remember when South Park did an episode about that and it was just a joke? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Then why does every TLJ thread go for at least 10 pages? I'd say there is more TLJ praise than hate here based on my reading. Clearly the majority doesn't hate it or these threads would go no where.
A lot of us are tired of getting called alt-right and grouped in with shitbag harassers triggered by minorities because we don't like a movie sequel that they don't like. TLJ threads have been an abomination of that shit for almost a year now that I tend to just avoid them.

There was a lot of hate for TFA as well, especially if you're in TFN. A huge segment of the prequel community had a huge chip on their shoulder and argued relentlessly TFA was worse than the prequels. So there's people who really will dislike a movie for any number of reason.

I can see bots/trolls/activists enhancing the voices of those people who had issues with TLJ to create the perception of a backlash. And those people will see the coverage and social media 'reaction' and feel emboldened to speak up. During TFA, the mods at TheForce.net basically made a 'hate on TFA' thread to quarantine those people.

A lot of us are tired of getting called alt-right and grouped in with shitbag harassers triggered by minorities because we don't like a movie sequel that they don't like. TLJ threads have been an abomination of that shit for almost a year now that I tend to just avoid them.
This goes both ways.

If you look at the Star Wars OT thread here (which is pretty near universal in loving TLJ) in the community forum it is full of names you never see in TLJ threads because they say its not worth it so they just stick to the community thread.

I think it is a shitty Star Wars movie, but I wouldn't harass the people who worked on it. If I had a twitter, and something I wanted to ask Rian, I might tweet at him.

I see people confusing "among those who address The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson directly on Twitter to express their dissatisfaction, more than half are bots, trolls/sock puppets or political activists" with "Most people that didnt like the movie haven an alt right agenda"

^^^ This is what echo chambers from social media botnets cause people to actually believe. Seriously. Not just for TLJ, but for all the shit your aunt forwards etc. Social media amplification causes reality distortion and it is largely driven by botnets that just want Americans to all hate each other.

i have to paraphrase because you use a 100 words to essentially say what can be said in 10. brevity is the soul of wit.

"i never said anything like 'u mad bro'. what i said was 'u cant get mad bro'. its entirely different. also, u mad bro."

maybe step away from the thesaurus and get some air. the guy said TLJ was good because it subverted expectations. i said it opened with a yo momma joke. now i'm being told that i should expect yo momma jokes in a star wars movie. so are we subverting or are we not subverting? more over, who the fuck is defending a yo momma joke while in the same breath attacking toxic masculinity?

whatever whatever. the opening sucks, not just because of the joke. its the fact that we basically see the head of the bad guys about to destroy the good guys, he gives a long speech about killing everything and everyone. he has a full fleet of star ships. then he gets a prank call from a solitary xwing. and the head of the bad guys stops everything he's doing and falls for it. it neutered all tension for me. yes theres humour in star wars but it was never at the expense of story telling or tension. imo. dont forget, this is how the fucking movie starts. the rest of the movie doesnt fare much better. its riddled with bad story telling masquerading as subversion.
Words have meaning and when you paraphrase with parody you're intentionally trying to obfuscate the intended meaning of what's been said. No thesaurus is necessary and brevity being the soul of wit doesn't apply because no one is attempting to be witty. You're so eager to shove your opinion down the throats of others that you're both ignoring what they're saying while simultaneously moving the topic of the conversation. I've never commented on the joke or whether or not it subverts expectations. I neither agreed or disagreed with your stance on that topic. What I *did* do was point out that your tact of focusing on the mention of The Empire being "Space Nazi's" as if it's inaccurate was wrong and presented evidence of such. Instead of acknowledging that and then focusing on your relevant point, you resort to mis-characterizing my statements and lumping them in with others. And you continue to do so.

To lament decent debate or conversation while shifting topics, mis-characterizing statements, and generalizing is hypocritical.

Is their any chance this is all just a Disney conspiracy to make Star Wars a symbol of the culture wars that people NEED to see to have an opinion?

Is Lucasfilm not a financial backer of USC? FOLLOW THE MONEY SHEEPLE

The Star Wars OT is by far the best Star Wars thread on this forum because people actually talk about what they enjoy about the franchise instead of constantly getting into endless repetitive arguments that go nowhere.
The Star Wars OT is wonderful. Just a bunch of people talking about stuff they love about Star Wars and the various new media coming out. Full of people excited about Star Wars. It's fun.

Is their any chance this is all just a Disney conspiracy to make Star Wars a symbol of the culture wars that people NEED to see to have an opinion?

Is Lucasfilm not a financial backer of USC? FOLLOW THE MONEY SHEEPLE
Star Wars was always political and on the side of progressives.

People already forget Lucas named the two main Neomodian baddies in The Phantom Menace after the REPUBLICAN Speaker of the House and the REPUBLICAN Senate Majority Leader!

Lott Dodd named after Trent Lott and Nute Gunray named after Newt Gingrich.

Denial is bliss I guess.
The irony is too strong lol.
The Star Wars OT is wonderful. Just a bunch of people talking about stuff they love about Star Wars and the various new media coming out. Full of people excited about Star Wars. It's fun.

Star Wars was always political and on the side of progressives.

People already forget Lucas named the two main Neomodian baddies in The Phantom Menace after the REPUBLICAN Speaker of the House and the REPUBLICAN Senate Majority Leader!

Lott Dodd named after Trent Lott and Nute Gunray named after Newt Gingrich.
Yep great area for getting star wars news for comics and novels too!

Also Gunray = Raygun = Reagan. And Palpatine was inspired by Nixon.
Yep. Lucas had Anakin quote Bush in Episode III directly as well. George Lucas haaaaaaates Republicans and has put a lot of anti-Republican stuff in Star Wars from day one.

That is why all this SJW/Politics in Star Wars rants are so funny to me....its been there since 1977.

Words have meaning and when you paraphrase with parody you're intentionally trying to obfuscate the intended meaning of what's been said. No thesaurus is necessary and brevity being the soul of wit doesn't apply because no one is attempting to be witty. You're so eager to shove your opinion down the throats of others that you're both ignoring what they're saying while simultaneously moving the topic of the conversation. I've never commented on the joke or whether or not it subverts expectations. I neither agreed or disagreed with your stance on that topic. What I *did* do was point out that your tact of focusing on the mention of The Empire being "Space Nazi's" as if it's inaccurate was wrong and presented evidence of such. Instead of acknowledging that and then focusing on your relevant point, you resort to mis-characterizing my statements and lumping them in with others. And you continue to do so.

To lament decent debate or conversation while shifting topics, mis-characterizing statements, and generalizing is hypocritical.
well thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a thesis on why you neither agree or disagree with my post.

^^^ This is what echo chambers from social media botnets cause people to actually believe. Seriously. Not just for TLJ, but for all the shit your aunt forwards etc. Social media amplification causes reality distortion and it is largely driven by botnets that just want Americans to all hate each other.
Uh oh, careful with this kind of talk or we might loop back around to the topic of the paper!

I think it's absolutely worth discussing the fact that Russian chaos campaigns and alt-right trolls are finding themselves frequently allied in a cultural battle that manifests on social media and distorts the real picture. People want to downplay it as "it's just trolls on Twitter" but it's foolish to pretend that it's isolated there. This kind of rhetoric has followed TLJ since release and has been amplified (unwittingly or not) by alt-right leaning people and Russian trolls back and forth on social media on Twitter, FB, Reddit, and beyond. It's pretty devious, using America's most potent export (culture) and turning it around as a weapon onto itself. And 2 years after Trump's election we still seem to be having trouble even admitting there's a problem, let alone figuring out how to deal with it.

Makes sense to me. It's one thing to be a critic but another thing entirely to actually @ or DM the director.

But why the Russian bots? Like what interest does Russia have in how nerds feel about Star Wars?

But why the Russian bots? Like what interest does Russia have in how nerds feel about Star Wars?
I'm guessing a segment of these nerds who are being vocal about their dislike of the movie on Twitter have some anti-SJW beliefs (or beliefs that could be pushed in that direction), and Russia found it beneficial to add fuel to that fire.

In the long run, you convince enough of these folks that enough things in modern society are some liberal conspiracy to destroy them and they'll destroy their own civilization for you.

well thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a thesis on why you neither agree or disagree with my post.

jfc dude stop you're being a fucking jerk

Wait people are trying to pull the Empire are competent unlike the cartoonish First Order?

Empire fell for all kinds of insane nonsense in the OT and did really stupid things.
It confuses me too. That along with claiming the OT didn't do gags or have jokes at the expense of Space Nazis baffles me and makes me wonder if any of the people who hate TLJ even saw any of the older films.

And your proof is......???

Uh oh, careful with this kind of talk or we might loop back around to the topic of the paper!

I think it's absolutely worth discussing the fact that Russian chaos campaigns and alt-right trolls are finding themselves frequently allied in a cultural battle that manifests on social media and distorts the real picture. People want to downplay it as "it's just trolls on Twitter" but it's foolish to pretend that it's isolated there. This kind of rhetoric has followed TLJ since release and has been amplified (unwittingly or not) by alt-right leaning people and Russian trolls back and forth on social media on Twitter, FB, Reddit, and beyond. It's pretty devious, using America's most potent export (culture) and turning it around as a weapon onto itself. And 2 years after Trump's election we still seem to be having trouble even admitting there's a problem, let alone figuring out how to deal with it.
It's really simple and obvious. Social media manipulation by botnets is way, way more than enough to swing a US presidential election since a fraction of a percent of the electorate is all you have to manipulate. That should be pretty fucking terrifying.

I've lived over half a century and it's amazing to see my country with its head planted so firmly up its own ass. Honestly it's hard to be optimistic. Rome wants to burn.

It's really simple and obvious. Social media manipulation by botnets is way, way more than enough to swing a US presidential election since a fraction of a percent of the electorate is all you have to manipulate. That should be pretty fucking terrifying.

I've lived over half a century and it's amazing to see my country with its head planted so firmly up its own ass. Honestly it's hard to be optimistic. Rome wants to burn.
Yep. And you combine that with people who joke like, "oh maybe I'M A RUSSIAN BOT" to downplay it like nobody could possibly be susceptible whatsoever.

Yep. And you combine that with people who joke like, "oh maybe I'M A RUSSIAN BOT" to downplay it like nobody could possibly be susceptible whatsoever.
"Think about this; think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that."
- George Carlin

You could perhaps begin to understand that the people who critisize the alt right and bigots who hate the movie are by definition not lumping you in with them. This is just a persecution complex right now.

Not liking a movie doesn't make you special, or persecuted. (Neither does liking a movie, for the record.) If you're just some person who didn't like the movie you basically have zero reason to be upset about people who are upset about the bigots who hate the movie for completely different reasons.

People are now writing papers to defend a bad movie? For shame, people. For shame.

Seriously though, the weaponization of social media isn't a new phenomenon. You don't need to read a paper to realize that people who are angry enough to adress and insult the director directly are probably not great people to begin with. That said, the fact that some assholes don't like the movie doesn't mean that a) most people who don't like the movie are assholes or that b) the movie is actually good.

I have to admit I do get enjoyment out of seeing some people completely lose their minds over an excellent movie like TLJ.
Calling TLJ "excellent" is using it in the same tense as calling Donald Trump an "excellent" president, or saying The Last Airbender was an "excellent" movie. It treated Avatar better than TLJ did Star Wars, at least.