PhD paper on The Last Jedi hate [directed at Rian Johnson]: mostly alt-right trolls, incl. Russians

Calling TLJ "excellent" is using it in the same tense as calling Donald Trump an "excellent" president, or saying The Last Airbender was an "excellent" movie. It treated Avatar better than TLJ did Star Wars, at least.
As a lover of both Star Wars and the Avatar universe, I can only chuckle at this nonsense.

Wait people are trying to pull the Empire are competent unlike the cartoonish First Order?

Empire fell for all kinds of insane nonsense in the OT and did really stupid things.
I always felt like the Empire had a very different military philosophy than the Alliance which got them into a lot of trouble in the OT. The Empire seemed to slowly overwhelm their opponents with superior military force. The Alliance on the other hand was much more of a guerilla style, hit and run tactics, don't directly engage in a major battle unless you really need to (say like the Battle of Endor).

Of course you also have stuff like Palpatine being stupid and wanting to destroy the Rebel fleet at Endor one at a time with the Death Star super laser instead of having his fleet directly engage the Rebels.

Calling TLJ "excellent" is using it in the same tense as calling Donald Trump an "excellent" president, or saying The Last Airbender was an "excellent" movie. It treated Avatar better than TLJ did Star Wars, at least.
Ehh I though The Last Jedi was a mixed bag (had some good elements but also had some annoying flaws) but I have no problems with believing that people can really love this movie.

^^^

Is this the part where you totally don't acknowledge cinemascore? You know, the standard for the film industry?
To be fair with Cinemascore it's really rare for a big blockbuster to get anything below a B rating (and As are super common) even though it's supposed to be A-F scale. Batman V Superman got a B but it's clear that movie was disliked enough that Justice League box office collapsed in a way few thought it would. The Star Wars prequels all got A- scores. The much hated Transformers movies all have A and B ratings as well.

At least with Cinemascore though you know it's not morons review bombing a movie for dumb reasons and people actually saw it. Maybe it would actually have better if they weren't done right after seeing the movie but people got more time to digest what they saw but I imagine getting any sort of decent sample outside of right after the movie wouldn't be easy.

This thread is fucking embarrassing. OP posts a story highlighting that the US is still under attack by Russia, but most replies are defensive justifications for their movie opinions! You're so fucked.

Ehh I though The Last Jedi was a mixed bag (had some good elements but also had some annoying flaws) but I have no problems with believing that people can really love this movie.
It had SOME good, but the overall story and tone were just so bad that i have to question who loves this movie. It's like saying that M Night Shamylan did a better job than the Avatar creator. When your movie franchise goes from "Above the Prequels" to "not even the DCEU could reach this level of awful", you may need to take a few steps back.

It had SOME good, but the overall story and tone were just so bad that i have to question who loves this movie. It's like saying that M Night Shamylan did a better job than the Avatar creator. When your movie franchise goes from "Above the Prequels" to "not even the DCEU could reach this level of awful", you may need to take a few steps back.
You do know that it was praised by critics, the same ones that generally pan the dceu?

If you can't even imagine why that's the case maybe that says more about you?

I feel the reverse, I feel The Last Jedi was the best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back. It's certainly better than Return of the Jedi (though I do hold the original Star Wars above it like I do Empire), and it's hard for me to fathom how many people can hate a movie that gets the spirit of Star Wars so spot on while also telling an interesting story with some powerful themes. It also gets Luke wonderfully. Not the idealized version so many have in their head, but the Luke who could be flawed, but also would come around in the end, despite any shortcomings (also, wonderful dynamic between Luke and Rey).

"I'm not insane, everyone else is!"

The moment people like you understand their opinion is not on top of anyone else's is when this kind of topics will get rational.

At first it seems strange that propagandists would go after Star Wars, but their goal is to foster cultural division in any way possible, so they're mining all they can out of this divisive, yet culturally significant, film.

IMO, it's not like "if you think movie is bad, then Putin wins". It's more like "if you get all worked up and make an ass of yourself, whether you liked the movie or not, we all lose".

Oh, we're doing another TLJ thread? Have we got to "And why do the bombs go down in space?" "Bombs went down in Empire" "Yeah but that was different..." yet?

Why are there so many takes about people who don't like TLJ being alt-right assholes? It's really weird.
I think the more pertinent question is "why are there so many alt right assholes and bots messing up film discussion and making it difficult for people who want to talk about how they like or dislike the films?"

It seems like the strategy as per normal is to make the culture more polarising.

I think the more pertinent question is "why are there so many alt right assholes and bots messing up film discussion and making it difficult for people who want to talk about how they like or dislike the films?"

It seems like the strategy as per normal is to make the culture more polarising.
so conversely, does that mean that theres a lot of alt left assholes who are pretending to really like the movie because they enjoy trolling people who dont like it?? :tinfoil:

I have to admit I do get enjoyment out of seeing some people completely lose their minds over an excellent movie like TLJ.
is this guy a bot? or just an asshole?

I'll never understand how someone can "hate" a movie.

There are many movies that I think are bad, but if I see a bad movie I just move on. I think more people should try that.

Imagine if Lucas had Twitter when the prequels where released. Holy shit.

so conversely, does that mean that theres a lot of alt left assholes who are pretending to really like the movie because they enjoy trolling people who dont like it?? :tinfoil:

is this guy a bot? or just an asshole?
Well the only time that people mention alt left is when they really just mean people who want the world to become more progressive. The alt right is just a term created by groups to rebrand themselves and the "alt left" term, created just to form a fake dichotomy to have persist the "both sides" kind of argument that the "alt right" like to use.

Edit: This explains very clearly what I mean.
https://www.wired.com/story/what-is-alt-left/

TLJ biggest offense was that it was extremely boring and I don't really care what happens next. It was not bad, it was a competent movie but it was boring.
As someone with casual interest in SW, I generally might be done with SW.

the russians are really 20 years ahead of us on social engineering. they have their hand in virtually everything
Or we are actually ahead of them in terms of not being exposed.

I refuse to believe that if the Russians have figured out all these tactics and techniques that other world powers have not, at the very least, dabbled in similar.

Of course OUR governments will tell us they they would never ever stoop to that level...

Explain the near universal critical acclaim then please. Your comparisons all got terrible review scores while TLJ was critically acclaimed.

And the much stronger box office than any of those bombs like Avatar.

Your comparison doesn’t work. At all. TLJ got glowing reviews and great box office. Your comparisons got bad reviews and weak box office numbers.

Please don’t do this. There is no such thing as the alt left. The only people who use that term are alt right assholes.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone who likes TLJ. My social bubble has great taste. Or they're Russian bots.
Yeah, I would be in the same situation myself.

Myself and the OH went to the midnight show and, as we had both enjoyed TFA, we were super excited to see where the story went next. Neither of us liked it. I really hated it, to be honest. Most of my friends reacted to this movie with rants about all the ways that it was shite. From Leia flying through space, to Luke milking space tits to "Vice-Admiral Gender Studies" people seemed to not like this film.

But whatever. I hear people ranting about films all the time and there are plenty of movies that I personally love that friends of my have absolutely ripped into and my response has been basically "oh, I really enjoyed it" as I went away thinking "HOW DARE SHE INSULT MY MOVIE".

The thing that is most amazing the the case of Star Wars: The Last Jedi is just the lengths that people will go to in service of defending this movie.

Disney bought this franchise for BILLIONS of dollars. That's kind of obscene. The whole point of that was to make even more money from selling tickets to the movies and DVDs and merch. It's a giant money making machine that is raking in billions and billions of dollars every year.

Yet, if their product gets too much criticism then suddenly there is an army of people determined to imply that if you don't enjoy the product that this multi-billion dollar corporation put out there then you must be some kind of secret sexist or racists or extreme right winger.

Actually it's not even that you don't enjoy the movie. You can not enjoy it. They just don't want you saying you didn't enjoy it.

What gives here? I'd prefer to avoid conspiracy theories but is it really accidental that Disney, Lucasfilm etc have found themselves in a position where consumers who criticize their product are shamed into silence by media outlets who write articles about their movie? It seems so convenient for them that people go around saying things like "TLJ Hate: Mostly Alt-Right trolls".

It's like people aren't even defending the movie. They are just straight up attacking people who didn't like it.

I can't wait to see how this plays into Episode IX.

Yeah, I would be in the same situation myself.

Myself and the OH went to the midnight show and, as we had both enjoyed TFA, we were super excited to see where the story went next. Neither of us liked it. I really hated it, to be honest. Most of my friends reacted to this movie with rants about all the ways that it was shite. From Leia flying through space, to Luke milking space tits to "Vice-Admiral Gender Studies" people seemed to not like this film.

But whatever. I hear people ranting about films all the time and there are plenty of movies that I personally love that friends of my have absolutely ripped into and my response has been basically "oh, I really enjoyed it" as I went away thinking "HOW DARE SHE INSULT MY MOVIE".

The thing that is most amazing the the case of Star Wars: The Last Jedi is just the lengths that people will go to in service of defending this movie.

Disney bought this franchise for BILLIONS of dollars. That's kind of obscene. The whole point of that was to make even more money from selling tickets to the movies and DVDs and merch. It's a giant money making machine that is raking in billions and billions of dollars every year.

Yet, if their product gets too much criticism then suddenly there is an army of people determined to imply that if you don't enjoy the product that this multi-billion dollar corporation put out there then you must be some kind of secret sexist or racists or extreme right winger.

Actually it's not even that you don't enjoy the movie. You can not enjoy it. They just don't want you saying you didn't enjoy it.

What gives here? I'd prefer to avoid conspiracy theories but is it really accidental that Disney, Lucasfilm etc have found themselves in a position where consumers who criticize their product are shamed into silence by media outlets who write articles about their movie? It seems so convenient for them that people go around saying things like "TLJ Hate: Mostly Alt-Right trolls".

It's like people aren't even defending the movie. They are just straight up attacking people who didn't like it.

I can't wait to see how this plays into Episode IX.
I mean they say this because it’s true. All evidence points to most of the hate online being the alt right or trolls like Russian bots. That’s why there are articles. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s not bending over backwards. It’s the truth.

Lucasfilm did their own internal analysis and found that there is very little hate amongst the actual fanbase, that it is overwhelmeningly alt right trolls as well.

You see the media, the studio, etc say it’s mostly alt right trolls or Russian bots....because it’s the truth. It is what the evidence shows.

Calling it a conspiracy theory makes no sense, the evidence overwhelmingly backs this up.