Red Dead Redemption 2: Official Gameplay Video Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest question still remains about Arthur's appearance. I understand we can change his hair and beard, etc. Are we going to be able to choose this from the beginning and have a beard from the get-go? Or is it going to be a more set look from the jump and then we take over and decide. I really just want to have a beard all the way through.

I think the second level had you marking every 'x' individually whereas the third level would just let you "paint" in the x'es which took away control.
Reverse that.

Level 2 would automatically place an X on someone if you pulled the cursor over a body part.
Level 3 allows you to mark exactly where you want to shoot.

My biggest question still remains about Arthur's appearance. I understand we can change his hair and beard, etc. Are we going to be able to choose this from the beginning and have a beard from the get-go? Or is it going to be a more set look from the jump and then we take over and decide. I really just want to have a beard all the way through.
You have to wait for it to grow out, you know, like in real life lol

I’m excited for all the little mundane details. The slow burn, the camp fire stories, watching animals roam around, finding the best spots for checking out the night skies - Rockstar is so meticulous with the little details, I can’t wait. October is my favorite month and I feel like I’m eagerly just trying to make it to release.

But what’s more exciting is to see how they push the open world genre forward - little intricacies of their emergent gameplay systems that all can build something new. It’s about time an open world reacted dynamically to how you engage with every npc or allowed you to pursued multilayered side diversions. I just can not wait.

I’m excited for all the little mundane details. The slow burn, the camp fire stories, watching animals roam around, finding the best spots for checking out the night skies - Rockstar is so meticulous with the little details, I can’t wait. October is my favorite month and I feel like I’m eagerly just trying to make it to release.

But what’s more exciting is to see how they push the open world genre forward - little intricacies of their emergent gameplay systems that all can build something new. It’s about time an open world reacted dynamically to how you engage with every npc or allowed you to pursued multilayered side diversions. I just can not wait.
This is what intrigues me about this game as well. It's the sum of all the little details, the interactions with the NPCs and the feeling of being let loose in this gigantic world where anything can happen. I'm fucking hyped.

The concept of any videogame being a "professional gun game" was the first 'thinking.gif'

But mainly I took 'low sensitivity' to mean 'not sensitive to aiming calibration', not literally 'have my sensitivity options set low', so that's my bad.

On topic, you just have to remember that these are not first person shooters or even third person shooters. They are third person action adventure games. Shooting is a primary mechanic but that's a primary mechanic among several other primary mechanics that all try to serve the cinematic adventure above all else. Making the shooting controls up to par with an FPS like Battlefield would mean making a big compromise on another aspect of the control scheme or game design.
I see what you are saying. I just meant professional in that BF1 provides nearly every option they possibly can to tweak shooting mechanics, more so than any other game on the market. And it's pretty amazing to me anyway.

We don't know how it starts, but he's probably well kempt

Then you can choose to keep periodically shaving and grooming him to keep him sharp or you can just leave it for a few in-game days and it'll grow out to a beard

I hope I get the same sense of wonder as I explore these environments as I did with Breath of The Wild. The amount of detail and liveliness just looks unprecedented for a world of its size.

I like this great detail. They should have shown it in the video:

That is why I keep saying video games aren't just about graphical techs or hardware or IQ or any fancy feature to make them look pretty, but mostly about such intricate details that make them stand out among others and what makes them really greater than movies.

Last edited:
I like thsi greta detail. They shoudl have shown it in the video:

That is why I keep saying video games aren't just about graphical techs or hardware or IQ or any fancy feature to make them look pretty, but mostly about such intricate details that make them stand out among others and what makes them really greater than movies.
Families are going to hate me this game....imagine wiping out an entire family that owned a ranch and then when visiting the ranch its deserted, the animals have died and nothing has been tended to

Wow! That was truly spectacular. With R* nuances in writing and dialogues are most likely expected. Also, the NPC animations is a breadth of fresh air after looking at myriad footage of AC: Odyssey.

If he was that wise he’d have got the X as it’ll look better on that ;)
I doubt it.

8 years in development tells me that both versions will be identical. Resolution and possibly frame rate [at times] will be the only minor differences. As far as assets and textures - they will be identical, so don't get your hopes up for some quantum leap between the two.

The base PS4 is more powerful than the base XBONES, so the more powerful systems [PS4 Pro/XB1X] will use the same assets.

What an excellent little gem of a post.

So... can you be a good guy in this?

My problem with games like this is that I have zero interest in being a criminal in an open world and get no enjoyment out of partaking in crimes.

My problem with games like this is that I have zero interest in being a criminal in an open world and get no enjoyment out of partaking in crimes.
You can be good outside story missions but the story itself is about a gang of bank robbers so you're going to be committing crimes.

Yep. Did you miss the woman with the kid in the new video? I can't remember what she said, but it wasn't favorable and Arthur looked ashamed. The voice over was talking about how your actions have consequences.

edit: as good as a person that robs people can be. Like the post above me said, you will be robbing banks and killing people in the story. But there are details like having heroic kill shots vs bloody kill shots if you're good or bad. Getting more money from bounties vs getting more money during robberies if you're good or bad. Etc.

Obviously I understand the hype and goty talk, but rockstar games don't have very good stories... After Witcher 3 GtaV narrative quality don't cut anymore.
There hasn't been a Rockstar game in 5 years. And even that one was written way prior to that.

They've seen The Witcher III and they know what people are into now, so I'm sure the writing has evolved.

I mean you can avoid doing most of the bad stuff the game allows and never kill anyone who doesn't deserve it, try to help random people etc. although some story missions will inevitably force you to assist the gang that does commit evil deeds.

But that's still more of an anti-hero, and this character is definitely affiliated with a notorious gang.

In this game ur a criminal, but you can choose if ur a good or bad criminal. You can still help ppl and do good deeds even being a criminal and it looks like those choices will have consequences.

Arthur still seems like a terrible and bland character in all of these videos. The gunplay looks very similar too. I'll pick it up but I don't think this is going to be the greatest thing ever like some people are making it out to be.
Seriously? I already find him more compelling than John. John had a good voice actor, but his personality was beyond bland. Having Arthur be surrounded by his gang he trust like family makes him automatically more of a appealing character to me. It will also give a lot more opportunity for his character to shine.

You can be good outside story missions but the story itself is about a gang of bank robbers so you're going to be committing crimes.
Yep. Did you miss the woman with the kid in the new video? I can't remember what she said, but it wasn't favorable and Arthur looked ashamed. The voice over was talking about how your actions have consequences.

edit: as good as a person that robs people can be. Like the post above me said, you will be robbing banks and killing people in the story. But there are details like having heroic kill shots vs bloody kill shots if you're good or bad. Getting more money from bounties vs getting more money during robberies if you're good or bad. Etc.
This ain't for you then.
There hasn't been a Rockstar game in 5 years. And even that one was written way prior to that.

I mean you can avoid doing most of the bad stuff the game allows and never kill anyone who doesn't deserve it, try to help random people etc. although some story missions will inevitably force you to assist the gang that does commit evil deeds.

But that's still more of an anti-hero, and this character is definitely affiliated with a notorious gang.
In this game ur a criminal, but you can choose if ur a good or bad criminal. You can still help ppl and do good deeds even being a criminal and it looks like those choices will have consequences.
Thanks guys :)

Seriously? I already find him more compelling than John. John had a good voice actor, but his personality was beyond bland. Having Arthur be surrounded by his gang he trust like family makes him automatically more of a appealing character to me. It will also give a lot more opportunity for his character to shine.
Don't get me wrong I didn't like Marston in the last game either which was one of my problems with it. still I don't find Arthur to be likable at all yet. Just seems like a typical bland character that will go around doing everyone's errands.

No Lasso gameplay shown has me worried a bit!

Abso-lutely.

This is the thing a lot don't understand, they keep discussing the main generic pillars. But it's all the little details that I'm excited about.

Son of Sparda

Community Resettler
Families are going to hate me this game....imagine wiping out an entire family that owned a ranch and then when visiting the ranch its deserted, the animals have died and nothing has been tended to
I actually do wonder if it works like that or if over time people will replace other NPCs and inhabit their houses.

Like, can you kill an entire town?

I actually do wonder if it works like that or if over time people will replace other NPCs and inhabit their houses.
Like, can you kill an entire town?
Me to, maybe it will be bare for a while then someone else takes over the farm etc. As for towns have a feeling it will be replaced with other NPC’s however from what I heard people will remember you comment to you and be cautious of you. So if your a mass murderer people will note it

Status
Not open for further replies.