Red Dead Redemption 2: Official Gameplay Video Part 2

I really want to push the revenge system as well.

Like if I kill everyone in a family but let someone live, will they come after me? Or if I wound an NPC in their knees will that show?

Truth is tho that I really deslike playing as a villain (my Shepard in ME was a saint lmao) so I most likely won't try any of this lol
Confirmed that families can come after you for revenge.

However, typing that, I can imagine it being handled by a fairly generic 'you killed my brother in X town!' bit of dialogue, but the effect could be perfect

Other games show that your logic isn’t sound, assassins creed origins is superior on Xbox x for example.
That poster seems to have a thing for downplaying the X. Me thinks they may be a tad insecure by the possibility of it being the superior looking version :p

Red Dead Redemption 1 was way too much better than 99% of Western Movies in case of story
I'd recommend you watch more westerns, in particular the ones done by Sergio Leone. Far from poor writing in those. Also a wealth of good 'modern' day made ones as well, see The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford :)

That poster seems to have a thing for downplaying the X. Me thinks they may be a tad insecure by the possibility of it being the superior looking version :p

I'd recommend you watch more westerns, in particular the ones done by Sergio Leone. Far from poor writing in those. Also a wealth of good 'modern' day made ones as well, see The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford :)
Well is said 99%

I doubt it.

8 years in development tells me that both versions will be identical. Resolution and possibly frame rate [at times] will be the only minor differences. As far as assets and textures - they will be identical, so don't get your hopes up for some quantum leap between the two.

The base PS4 is more powerful than the base XBONES, so the more powerful systems [PS4 Pro/XB1X] will use the same assets.
I’ll bet you the X will have more differences then just resolution and framerate

How is the writing in the Red Dead games? I'm one of the few people who hates GTA4 and 5 and finds them boring and the story uninteresting.
Red Dead plays slower due to the time period and lack of vehicles. You’ll probably not like it either.

As for the writing, that actually is different from GTA I’d say. It’s more serious in tone and the satire is not nearly as obvious or comedic as in GTA (and there’s also just less of it overall).

It seems that way, it’s just common knowledge that the X is the best place to play mulitplats at the moment. I own both by the way so not biased ;)

I love when open world games give you the option to be the bad guy killing anything and everyone. Robbing people and have their fates decided by my hand, but when that game also remembers your bad actions and confronts you head on with the kind of monster you've become, killing possibly a family member and leaving a young kid without a father and a wife without a husband...

Now you know how RDR2 gonna end... :P
V for Vendetta

Red Dead plays slower due to the time period and lack of vehicles. You’ll probably not like it either.

As for the writing, that actually is different from GTA I’d say. It’s more serious in tone and the satire is not nearly as obvious or comedic as in GTA (and there’s also just less of it overall).
Ok, well I'd take a more serious satire than GTA5, which to me is ugly. I can't stand any of the characters.

I find it weird that people think they have Arthur pinned one way or the other when he's barely said anything in these trailers. Like even more than RDR1's marketing where we got a sense of Marston's demeanor, the side characters have been played up much more than Arthur so far. And the times he has had a bit of dialogue, I think there's an interesting hardass, intimidating persona that commands in a way Marston never did, especially with his drawl/accent, but it's tough to get a feel for it in chopped up trailers.

Rockstar, the gods of open world games. This looks insanely good now I know why they took this long to release a new game after GTA V wich came in 2013.

There was one minor detail that completely immersed me into RDR every single time...the short music cues.

Being off in the middle of the night with no destination, just you and your horse. Listening to the sound of the night, the wildlife, the horse walking and breathing, random passerbys. Then, they play a little tune. No orchestrated/major tunes, and very short, but I absolutely loved how it added to what you were doing at the moment.

I can't wait to go far away from the town/civilization at night time, and just listen to the world. Nothing like it, and I LOVE the first game for this reason, among plenty of others.

I doubt it.

8 years in development tells me that both versions will be identical. Resolution and possibly frame rate [at times] will be the only minor differences. As far as assets and textures - they will be identical, so don't get your hopes up for some quantum leap between the two.

The base PS4 is more powerful than the base XBONES, so the more powerful systems [PS4 Pro/XB1X] will use the same assets.
DonEladioimposible.gif

If base xbone is 1080p with less grass
Base ps4 is 1080p with more grass

Then The pro will be 1500-1700p
And the 1x will be 1900p - 4k

For the pro and 1X to be the same resolution wise R* would have to intentionally gimp the 1X version.

I love when open world games give you the option to be the bad guy killing anything and everyone. Robbing people and have their fates decided by my hand, but when that game also remembers your bad actions and confronts you head on with the kind of monster you've become, killing possibly a family member and leaving a young kid without a father and a wife without a husband...

Damn, the lighting and use of color in this shot is fucking phenomenal. I don't remember any vivid colors being used in the first RDR. This game is just so much more visually appealing compared to it's predecessor, which I considered phenomenal when it released.

This is the best looking open world game I have ever seen. Yes that includes Cyberpunk.
I know it's too early to compare, but even though this takes place in the wild west, there seems to be more going on with each shot than CyberPunk. The way the AI is reacting to things a good distance from them is awesome (first scene in the trailer with the train, you can see people freaking out at the station). Meanwhile some folks on YouTube that the peds in CyberPunk stopped and waited for a red light.

I'll get both, but I've been more impressed with the what 10 minutes we've seen of RDR2 over the 45 minutes of Cyber. That said I have no doubt Cyber will be amazing.

Ubisoft should learn with rockstar in making the default hud minimalist and less intrusive..... (I know there are options to remove them in Asscreed Odyssey, but often such options compromises the gameplay. When it really is thought out to be clean and not intrusive by default the game is so much better).

As an American living abroad for years now, I used to play GTAV a lot to overcome homesickness as I lived in Vegas and spent many weekends hanging out with friends in LA, Santa Monica, Venice etc.

I also spent a lot of years in the middle of nowhere throughout Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and of course Nevada. This game is going to serve the same purpose GTAV did. Really makes me feel like I’m back in my home country and enjoying nature at its finest. Also Westerns kick ass.

I’m so beyond psyched for this game.

I find it weird that people think they have Arthur pinned one way or the other when he's barely said anything in these trailers. Like even more than RDR1's marketing where we got a sense of Marston's demeanor, the side characters have been played up much more than Arthur so far. And the times he has had a bit of dialogue, I think there's an interesting hardass, intimidating persona that commands in a way Marston never did, especially with his drawl/accent, but it's tough to get a feel for it in chopped up trailers.
The second trailer did a lot to establish a sense of his character. As someone who enjoys his position in the gang and as an enforcer, who exudes a sense of menace, not afraid to get physical, who’s trusted as an ally and friend among the other members of the gang

You’re probably the one that Dutch sends after John to either figure if he’s still loyal to the gang or to kill him. Morgan seems like the kind of guy you’d quietly send to do that task

I’m really interested to get to know the other characters. The side characters and other gang members stood out a lot more to me than any of the side characters from any of other Rockstar games

Red Dead Redemption 1 was way too much better than 99% of Western Movies in case of story
I'm a huge fan of RDR1 but the story is pretty bad. From videogame standards it's fine, but not by even any mediocre movie standards. It's just that the bar is so low when it comes to videogame stories that we confuse production value for story or narrative.

I doubt it.

I’ll take that 40-50% “minor” resolution advantage on the X thanks.

The game looks stunning in every aspect!

I've no idea what the X version will be like, all I know is R* have shown everything so far on PS4's and PS4 Pro's.

I'm sure the X will have a minor resolution advantage but everything else will be more-or-less the same.

Looks like a stunning achievement for Rockstar in terms of graphics and open world experience. And while I can't say anything without actually trying the game it looks like this might end up being my favorite Rockstar game. Love the setting and the focus on the gang provided it has great/good members.

DonEladioimposible.gif

If base xbone is 1080p with less grass
Base ps4 is 1080p with more grass

Then The pro will be 1500-1700p
And the 1x will be 1900p - 4k

For the pro and 1X to be the same resolution wise R* would have to intentionally gimp the 1X version.
Digital Foundry's analysis of the first gameplay trailer has pegged the resolution at 1920x2160. That is apparently ps4 pro footage. Xbox released the identical footage but with xbox on controller prompts. I guess we will see what happens when released.

edit: DF said that the resolution was 12.5% more pixels than 1440p. Don't know if that equates to 1700p

Last edited: