ResetEra Version 1.5 Update Thread

I've had to switch back to legacy for now as the new themes don't work properly on my old ass phone

Legacy will still be an option once 2.0 launches won't they?

Still can't jump to specific pages on mobile in night era so it's really inconvenient for big threads. Would be nice if we could select specific pages the way you can on the legacy themes.

Something I've noticed on mobile is that the navigation bar kind of shakes and moves around when I open a new page.

Otherwise looks alright. If those two things are addressed I would probably switch over but sticking with legacy still for now

which fixes numerous compatibility issues with the Safari browser
Omfg, thank you, finally.

I’m just going to write a bunch of useless shit and see my cursor begins flying off the screen the more I type into the textbox, testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing hello hmmm testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing hello hmmm...

Uhg.. it’s still doing it.
I can’t even scroll up and down the text box :(

Creamium Hello I'm mentioning you without editing the post.

Legacy will still be an option once 2.0 launches won't they?
I might be wrong, but I think old 1.x themes don't work with Xenforo 2.x.
On the plus side the default Xf 2 theme is actually pretty good out of the box and the colors could easily be converted to DarkEra style if needed.

Yeah, I hope we will still be able to use previous Legacy themes on 2.0 if next themes doesn't work properly for some users.
I remember there being a poll after the first update and 84.3% of people preferred the older themes, and while this update is a step in the right direction I can't see it swaying a majority to the new themes

I'm not sure if 2.0 will be a reboot or if they will build on the new themes, but my advice would be to take everything that works on the old themes and improve their function or add to them

The issue with the new themes is that they remove something great for everything great they add, and the colours are not as good

Apreciate the work, but feels a little like a lot of the feedback is falling on deaf ears, particularly around the pretty unanimous preference for the legacy pallete. I also mentioned a while back around the use of mod red being not ideal for those of us with colour issues...but nothing. Good luck with 2.0.

Thanks for the max button!

Just a thing, I've noticed on my browser (Edge, 1080p display, 150% zoom) that posts get misaligned.

On chrome what it does it add a space between the first post and the rest

Why do they insist on the Nighera theme? Just change the colour to DarkEra Legacy and add back the screen estate and we're done.
I know they added some screen estate the last time they updated it, but it's still a far cry from the 95% screen estate you are getting with DarkEra Legacy.

I really like the updates, but there are a few things that really bug me. For things mentioned below, I'm on Chrome on a PC using Windows 10.

• Like mentioned before, clicking on "Max" isn't always persistent. Sometimes if I open a new tab, it will go back to the default width. Most times it starts off the default width and then snaps to the "Max" width which is fine, but kind of annoying? I'd be okay with it if it consistently always changed, but sometimes it does not. Also the button placement of the "Max/Min" button looks really amateurish, but that's just a personal nitpick.
  • Tying into that and also mentioned in this thread already, I really appreciate being able to fix the width, but the vertical space is also an issue for me. You can see fewer posts before scrolling in the Night version than with the Dark version.
  • Linking to a post does not highlight which post was linked to. This is a huge thing for me, because I've been getting this issue that the linked post will be on the top, but will be half above the address bar (essentially the post is cut in half), so it appears that the post below the one linked to is actually the one the person meant to link to.
  • And the biggest issue for me is of course the purple being wayyyy too bright. I just don't understand why you said you took the top feedback from the thread, but did not even mention the purple, which I'm almost certain would definitely be #1. If you'd just be open about why you haven't changed it despite the overwhelming majority wanting it changed, I feel like you'd get fewer complaints about it, because people would at least understand why.
  • The quote box is too dark on NightEra. It basically has a black background with white text effect, which is very straining also.

Anyways, overall great update. I'm trying to keep using NightEra to get used it since I DO enjoy the functionality that has been added, but the purple is just so garish, especially at night. I have pretty poor vision and it is really straining on my eyes to have so much contrast. Please consider changing at least the purple for 2.0.

Why do they insist on the Nighera theme? Just change the colour to DarkEra Legacy and add back the screen estate and we're done.
I know they added some screen estate the last time they updated it, but it's still a far cry from the 95% screen estate you are getting with DarkEra Legacy.
yeah I don't get it and it worries me they still haven't fixed the nightera colors. It's insane that darkera is considered legacy when it's superior on almost all fronts. This is a forum not a design showcase. #1 priority needs to be speed, usability and doing away with - not adding - clutter.

Take the fade in/out highlight of the "squares" when you hover threads in a forum. It looks pretty but it feels like shit because it adds a useless delay to the interface feedback. This kind of stuff needs to go, along with other things like the caddy menu that pops up. It active pisses me off to see the forum software progress in this direction, especially since I've seen many forums die as a result of focusing too much on doing fancy graphical web design.

Last edited:

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Now let's talk about the future. In our last update we explained that the DayEra/NightEra designs are not part of the same project as ResetEra 2.0, but rather a standalone that would help bridge the gap. We promised some months ago that ResetEra 2.0 would be released before the end of 2018. Those plans are now beginning to mature.
So long as the 'legacy' stylesheets remain. Can't imagine browsing the site if the new stylesheets are forced upon everyone.

Also avatars in the new stylesheets continue to have semi-opaque backgrounds, which only makes avatars with alpha transparency, and non-square avatars, look awkward. Given the rich history of avatar making in this community I'm not sure why it was thought to be kept tbh. (The forced 96x96px square aspect ratio has also been kept but less egregious than the background if choosing the lesser of two evils).

I don't know what it is on Android while typing, but sometimes by cursor jumps to odd places when hitting backspace. It's the only site I've ever had this problem with.

I will hit backspace to remove a line break and the cursor jumps forward a letter. Watch this to see it in action; the cursor moved to a position after the "T" in "Test":

Please give us the option to increase text size. That was a feature on ***. I view Era on my phone 99.9% of the time and these old eyes are starting to wither.

Sometimes I click a thread title and instead of bringing me to the first post by the OP it brings me to whatever their latest post was, or some other random post(?) even if it's a thread I've never clicked on before. Is this the intended behavior? It's really annoying.

Thanks for the update team. I know myself I've been harking on in the prior thread about no communication and I'm glad to see it addressed as it will really make or break this community as to how the users are talked to. I still would really, really love to see a crumb trail on the bottom as with the new themes on desktop the floating arrows disappear almost instantly and don't appear on hover either which is frustrating when reading to the bottom and having to slightly shift the page to get them back. It is just so..oddly empty.

And please, for the love of god, don't rely on third party services too much.
https://webbkoll.dataskydd.net/en/results?url=http://www.resetera.com/

Ughhhh... accessing Era without proper tracking and script blocking is insane.
To put this into perspective: the amount of third party tracking here is even worse than on NeoGAF: https://webbkoll.dataskydd.net/en/results?url=http://www.neogaf.com/
I really hope there are going to be improvements in this regard.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
I don't know what it is on Android while typing, but sometimes by cursor jumps to odd places when hitting backspace. It's the only site I've ever had this problem with.

I will hit backspace to remove a line break and the cursor jumps forward a letter. Watch this to see it in action; the cursor moved to a position after the "T" in "Test":

To the best of my knowledge, this is caused by using a keyboard with swipe typing enabled. The only keyboard with swipe typing that has fixed this issue is SwiftKey. The bug is something that exists within the software for your Android keyboard. I used to have the same issue with Samsung and Google keyboards on Android. Swapping to SwiftKey was the only way to fix the issue a few months ago, and as far as I'm.aware that's still the case today.

To the best of my knowledge, this is caused by using a keyboard with swipe typing enabled. The only keyboard with swipe typing that has fixed this issue is SwiftKey. The bug is something that exists within the software for your Android keyboard. I used to have the same issue with Samsung and Google keyboards on Android. Swapping to SwiftKey was the only way to fix the issue a few months ago, and as far as I'm.aware that's still the case today.
Its not just swipe keyboards.

It seems that whenever the keyboard tries to edit multiple characters (such as when autocorrecting) bugs occur.

It also only happens on this site so it's definitely not a problem on the user side.

Edit: sorry, I'm talking about a different keyboard bug.

Night era feels slightly better now, but I still can't handle the radioactive purple and the scroll/refresh box that constantly disappears and reappears in the corner of my screen on mobile.

Dark is still the one to beat.

I hope 2.0 does something about the purple.

I appreciate the effort but sorry, the Legacy themes are still better. The new themes are over-engineered (I really don't need a persistent navigation bar at the top), still have issues using the full width and are too gaudy with the purple.

The purple is still so blinding.

Use the Legacy colors :(

I appreciate the effort but sorry, the Legacy themes are still better. The new themes are over-engineered (I really don't need a persistent navigation bar at the top), still have issues using the full width and are too gaudy with the purple.
yea.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
I'm still using the legacy theme. The colors are much better and I like it more from the usability standpoint, watched threads and whatnot (not digging the new way of marking threads with new posts)

Getting there for sure. Still too much spacing at the top and still no idea why this light purple remains. It simply doesn’t work for a forum.

Night era feels slightly better now, but I still can't handle the radioactive purple and the scroll/refresh box that constantly disappears and reappears in the corner of my screen on mobile.

Dark is still the one to beat.

I hope 2.0 does something about the purple.
I don't think it will, because the new purple is so universally disliked and yet it's not even discussed, so there must be a reason we're not privy to as to why it's been kept

I don't know a great deal about website design but changing a colour is surely not something that requires a great deal of technical expertise

If they ran a poll that said "which purple is better, legacy or new" I'm certain over 90% would vote for legacy, and I'm sure they already know this, and yet...

It's still that purple

So I expect it will hang around for 2.0

I agree with everyone saying DarkEra's pallette and layout are superior.

I hope they're reading and at least the colours/contrast is addressed soon, if not, we're in trouble if the Legacy themes won't work on 2.0. :(

Its not just swipe keyboards.

It seems that whenever the keyboard tries to edit multiple characters (such as when autocorrecting) bugs occur.

It also only happens on this site so it's definitely not a problem on the user side.

Edit: sorry, I'm talking about a different keyboard bug.
I also have both of this issues. Using GBoard on a Pixel 2. Only happens on ERA, has never happened on any other site.

And I'd like to join the chorus who can't stand the eye bleeding purple of DayERA/NightERA. I don't get why that hasn't been fixed - DarkERA is vastly superior.

I'm using GBoard and just disabled the swipe stuff and it still happens. Also just tested in 2 other apps and a different website in Chrome, and can't replicate the issue anywhere except ResetEra.

https://gfycat.com/LimpLavishFlyinglemur

https://gfycat.com/ScratchyCautiousAnkolewatusi

https://gfycat.com/CornyHappyBee

ResetEra also seems to disable Android's "Clipboard" functionality when copy/pasting. It only gives me the option to Paste, Select All, and Paste as Plain Text.

Yeah, it's kind of embarassing to tout community feedback but leave "DarkEra" in the lurch. At the very least the NightEra colour scheme is near universally disliked, but championed as the "successor" theme.

I agree with this.

That horrible purple on the night theme should've been the first thing that was changed. I too want to know the reasoning for why it was kept.

I feel like the night theme is a bit too busy as well, the legacy dark theme is almost perfect thanks to its simplicity.