ResetEra Version 1.5 Update Thread

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
I'm using GBoard and just disabled the swipe stuff and it still happens. Also just tested in 2 other apps and a different website in Chrome, and can't replicate the issue anywhere except ResetEra.

https://gfycat.com/LimpLavishFlyinglemur

https://gfycat.com/ScratchyCautiousAnkolewatusi

https://gfycat.com/CornyHappyBee

ResetEra also seems to disable Android's "Clipboard" functionality when copy/pasting. It only gives me the option to Paste, Select All, and Paste as Plain Text.
I had the same issue, as did many other users, months ago with Gboard and SwiftKey. Here's what tech said on the matter in February. It is worth noting that SwiftKey pushed an update which fixed this issue since February. I'm not sure if Gboard ever pushed an update. I will check with tech to clarify.

Hi! #tech here. It seems that the most recent Chrome/Android update produced this typing bug. Currently all we can do is waiting for a fix from the Chromium project. Meanwhile, the following workarounds should help address the issue until a fix is available:

a. Downgrade to the previous version of Chrome/Android (63.0.3239.111, Released in Dec 2017). You can download the APK file here; note that you might need to uninstall current version of Chrome first.
b. Switch to BTE (Basic Text Editor). A button for switching is available at the top right of the quick reply area (the document icon). There is also an option in user preferences to use BTE by default.
c. Though we cannot say for sure that this bug would never occur to other keyboards, it seems that switching to keyboards other than SwiftKey may greatly alleviate the problem.
d. Other Android browsers, such as Firefox, does not seem to be affected by the bug.

We will keep updating on this issue. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

DarkEra is far better of an option than NightEra right now. It's formatted better, has better use of vertical space (I feel like I'm scrolling constantly in NightEra) and SWEET MOTHER I think I just lost my eyesight because that purple is still terrible.

Why is the night/dark color scheme still an issue? Seems like the overwhelming majority prefer current dark era so why not just stick with that color scheme and move forward? Problem solved. No reason to keep beating a dead horse.

Please never drop the option for DarkEra. I can think of literally no way to improve it, and every change in later themes is a change for the worse. DarkEra is simpler, cleaner, more lightweight, easier on the eyes, and more space-efficient (even compared to the new max option). I appreciate all the work being done under the hood, but what's above(?) the hood is already perfect.

Please, whatever 2.0 entails -- do not remove DarkEra.

Nice upgrades, but the issue I had with the new design was the nauseating neon purple color, and its still there. Hopefully its dropped for 2.0.

At the very least get one of the many talented graphic desgners on Era to come up with something.

Can we get even an acknowledgement of why the color scheme isn't being changed? I really don't understand this. You say you've addressed the "top 3 complaints" but you completely ignored the obvious number 1 complaint. Completely baffling why such an easy change is being ignored. At least let your community know if there is a reason for it.

Are you guys gonna just ignore all the darkERA comments? I just switched to NightERA for a few seconds and the contrast is still too jarring. Can't stand it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Great functionality changes. The width change fixes most of the issues I had with NightERA.

I will echo the statements here that the purple is far too bright, which is greatly impacting legibility of the color scheme. I still think bringing over the purple colors from DarkERA but keeping the gradient is probably a good middle ground. I posted an example here.

Can we get even an acknowledgement of why the color scheme isn't being changed? I really don't understand this. You say you've addressed the "top 3 complaints" but you completely ignored the obvious number 1 complaint. Completely baffling why such an easy change is being ignored. At least let your community know if there is a reason for it.
For all that stuff that everyone hates and they like, all they ever say is "it's a design choice" and they don't seem to want to change it.

There is a poll running and 85% of the people in it like the Legacy themes. Sure it's only like 1500 people, but it's the best we got.

I will add my voice to those stating that the purple is horrible and hurts my eyes. If it was literally just changed back to the 1.0 colours then the new stuff would be awesome. Unfortunately I am sticking with the old theme until this is fixed.

Those in charge of running the site have done an amazing job over the last 10 or so months and for that we're all eternally grateful, but I feel like it would be nice to at least have an official comment on why the purple hasn't been changed despite its unanimous negative reception

If it's a case of "well we like it, and so it stays" or "we're trying to build the brand and we want this to be our colour" or it's costing of 5k a year to licence this particular shade of purple and we can't back down now" then that's fine

I think the silence is frustrating a lot of people because it's clearly something the majority of posters dislike, so while the changes that have been addressed are fantastic, it's odd this hasn't even been mentioned when it's clear that those in charge will be well aware of it's negative reception

Is it possible to see that a thread you have read has new replies or not just by looking at it while browsing the forums? Right now it appears that all threads are the same color even with no new replies whereas on the older themes, if a thread didn't have any new replies it was clearly a different shade so I knew not to click on it.

I also wanted to thank you for keeping the older themes around. It's very much appreciated.

Hello all! We'd like to first apologize for being quiet on this front lately. In addition to working on this update, we've been getting our ducks in a row regarding some long held ambitions, and today we can finally talk a little about that. It can be difficult to balance day to day work with community engagement, but going forward we're going to make a stronger effort to show our faces in this thread.

ResetEra 1.5

For immediate release we have the ResetEra 1.5 update which fixes numerous compatibility issues with the Safari browser, provides relief for the forced mobile view bug, and also introduces a new variable width feature for those of you who hate wasting horizontal space. Based on your feedback these were three of the biggest issues that users had with DayEra/NightEra and we have dedicated a considerable effort to address them.

At the very bottom of the page desktop users should now see a button like in the image above. Pressing it will allow you to toggle page width! The full list of highlights from this update include:
  • Changed "NSFW" options title to "Image Options"
  • Made changes to reduce the chances of desktop users receiving a forced mobile view
  • Mobile scaling issues should now largely be fixed
  • Added min/max width options for variable horizontal width
  • Improved Safari compatibility
We hope you enjoy the changes! Please report any new or persisting issues in the new 1.5 bug report thread.

ResetEra 2.0

Now let's talk about the future. In our last update we explained that the DayEra/NightEra designs are not part of the same project as ResetEra 2.0, but rather a standalone that would help bridge the gap. We promised some months ago that ResetEra 2.0 would be released before the end of 2018. Those plans are now beginning to mature.

While some work will continue in the interim on DayEra/NightEra, we have recently made special arrangements for additional help and resources for ResetEra 2.0 in order to ensure that development will proceed smoothly and in a timely manner. After considering the totality of your feedback, we examined our options and determined that making ResetEra 2.0 an urgent priority made the most sense for the community in the long term.

The wheels are now in motion, and we look forward to sharing more in the coming weeks. We will be using this thread to do so.
It would be really cool if you could filter feeds ... like how you can block certain people... if you could block Threads that would be amazing...

Text is still cropped off to the right for me.

Back to legacy

Note 8. Chrome. Dpi 484
Yeah it does this on the Night theme for me as well.

Pixel 2XL with phone font set to small. I dont have this issue on Day either. My icons are also huge on Night, but not on Day.

I honestly have no clue how there can be so many inconsistencies between Night and Day, when they should be exactly the same except for colouring.

I've brought up my issues with NightEra a few times now and, at this point, I've accepted that I am either being ignored or the designer and I fundamentally disagree. Either way, these are the things I still have an issue with regarding NightEra on mobile:

- Notifications do not show up in red. They are completely invisible unless you are looking for them.
- Threads do not show page count. It is not very intuitive to have to see the post count and guess how many pages there are.
- Pressing the quote to jump to the quoted post within the same page, then pressing back to return to the first post does not work, you will instead go back to whatever page you were at previously.

I will continue to use DarkEra in the meantime.

I had the same issue, as did many other users, months ago with Gboard and SwiftKey. Here's what tech said on the matter in February. It is worth noting that SwiftKey pushed an update which fixed this issue since February. I'm not sure if Gboard ever pushed an update. I will check with tech to clarify.
Thanks. Basic Text Editor fixes it.

Nice additions but ill continue to use DarkERA for the foreseeable future. Why Night/DayERA use that bright blue violet is beyond me when the soft purple was fantastic as is. Still literally uncomfortable to look at.

Just checked the new version of Light and NightEra on desktop, and in my opinion both are still terrible, especially the latter. There's too much wasted space, the navigation bars are incredibly annoying, and the NightEra purple still hurts more than staring at the sun.

I hope DarkEra continues to work in Resetera 2.0, because at this point I don't think these new themes will become usable anytime soon.

I appreciate that yall have people working on more themes and choices.

But honestly, take a step back and reflect on this.

the original Dark theme is far far far superior to the night theme that it should be discontinued.

Nobody* likes that bright neon purple or the design. Dark theme is 100% better in every way.

also, yall wanna know something dumb
there are exactly 2 unused squares for a button in the text editor (on mobile?)
the "+" symbol holds 4 of them.

just make them all their own button!

spoiler for 100% shouldn't be behind this weird + button, or any of them for that matter, it just doesn't make any sense. I want to use spoiler and strikethrough all the time and its an unnecessary obstacle.

This is a great update. Thank you guys.

The purple needs to be toned down, though. DarkEra (Legacy)'s purple is much better and easier to the eye.

ResetEra 2.0: DarkEra

There, saved you a bunch of time and money. You’re welcome.
+1

The redirects are still downright infuriating but the quality of the community outweighs that, so I honestly shouldn’t moan.

I am still in DarkEra though because I like having healthy maculas.

The navigation bar seems to randomly disappear on me and only shows back up if I refresh.

Also, the Watched Threads icon really needs to be made a button like the forum links on the desktop version, similar to how it is on mobile. There's plenty of space to put it before the FAQ button.

What is 2.0 meant to be? It seems to be heavily promoted, but I am curious as to what the huge leap will be that warrants the 2.0 title.

Thank you for implementing smaller side margins as an option. That was my biggest issue with the new themes before.

One little niggle remains, however. It looks like when the margins are set to Max the content initially renders with the huge margins for a second or two before expanding on every single page load. Any time I go to a new page anywhere on the side it starts out small and then expands to the Max setting. Is it possible to have this simply function as a global CSS rule stored via cookie for each user's preference? I've been using a userstyle to shrink the margins up until now, and it keeps the margins small all the time without this janky page-load transition.

Also, thanks for keeping everyone up-to-date with the work the team is doing being the scenes.

I tried the max thing an it just looks weird e.e; Like you're trading the "wasted" space on the sides for wasted space in post boxes. Guess I'm just a barebones default user-type!

No clue what a forum 2.0 could even be. Guess it'll be something I never knew I needed like the nav menu constantly hanging around! Maybe adding alil BB Code page link down at the bottom next to the Help one for peeps who don't memorize all those codes. I know the Help pages leads directly to it but ya never know, could be helpful.

Haven't been following the news to know what advantage the new design offers but I'm sticking with the legacy themes as they're still utilizing spacing and color better

Max button shows up for a second, then gets replaced/covered completely by an ad, only when the ad reloads does the max button show up again for second.
Using the most recently Chrome Version. Windows10.