Rocky Era - could Apollo Creed have beaten Clubber Lang?

You wanna jump? Jump! C'mon Creed

Yo let's argue over fictional characters, who do you bet on? Rocky tells Adonis
that Apollo beat him in their third rematch in private

Who wins?

Apollo pre-Rocky I sure. By Rocky he lost the eye of the tiger, and treats the fight as a ruse. By Rocky II he trains, but age caught up with him, and Rocky got better in the ring. Clubber was a good fighter, but wasn't going deep in fights that didn't go his way in the first three rounds.

In his prime, definitely.

At that point in time in the series....MAYBE. I'd like to think he would have taken his training for that fight more seriously than Rocky did.

I think it depends entirely on the music he trains to.

That was the true source of Rocky’s powers.

If you give Apollo that good shit (ie Hearts on Fire, etc) then of course he wins easily.

In his prime, definitely.

At that point in time in the series....MAYBE. I'd like to think he would have taken his training for that fight more seriously than Rocky did.
Yeah, I agree with this. Apollo in his prime could have taken Clubber as long as Apollo took the fight prep deadly serious. Whether Apollo in his prime would have done that, well, that's another question.

Even Rocky 3 era Apollo would have beaten him

1- Apollo would have properly scouted Clubber and would have never been caught off guard by him in the first place like Rocky was
2- Apollo still thought he could take Rocky at the end of Rocky 3. Which is a decent sign of how confident Apollo still was in his own skills.

I think Drago and Clubber would be more fun to watch. 2 power punchers going at it would be an entertaining fight. Creed ducking Clubber for 12 rounds would be like watching a Mayweather fight

Rocky essentially alludes to Apollo being the superior fighter in Creed so I'd think he could.

The only thing Rocky could do better than Apollo was take a punch so the bigger question is could Apollo have beaten Drago had had he been younger and prepped better for the fight?

That one is harder to call.

Rocky beat Clubber Lang after training with Apollo pretty easily

If Apollo is still the better fighter at that point then he shouldn't have had any trouble with Lang

ya'll acting like skills mean anything in rocky, a series of movies about dudes taking haymaker after haymaker to the face. the only thing that matters here is an iron chin and as rocky 4 proved, apollo's chin was done. clubber takes it imo

Apollo's a great boxer and a smart businessman. He already won by getting Rocky to fight Clubber using his style and strategy, and then getting a cut of the take by being his trainer. He essentially fought Lang without fighting Lang. Fucking genius.

ya'll acting like skills mean anything in rocky, a series of movies about dudes taking haymaker after haymaker to the face. the only thing that matters here is an iron chin and as rocky 4 proved, apollo's chin was done. clubber takes it imo
All that matters in a movie is whether its internal logic is consistent. Rocky was...at first anyways.