Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DT8| News, Site Updates, and Speculation | Think outside the Box

Do you think Incineroar still have a shot at making in Smash Bros as playable character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So going by that music rule:

Franchises that haven't appeared yet:

- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Star Fox
- Punch-Out!!
- Earthbound
- Wario
- Kid Icarus
- Mii
- Wii Fit
- Duck Hunt
- R.O.B.
- Game & Watch.
- Pac-Man

I'd be pretty shocked if tomorrow's song was a Xenoblade or Sonic remix. But I also don't see the latter 6 getting a new remix (I know Duck hunt has a new one but I don't see them revealing it tomorrow). Earthbound is a wild card so I'm guessing it's going to be from any of these:

Star Fox, Punch-Out!!, Wario or Kid Icarus.

Of course, it could always just be a song from an unrepped IP.

My money's on a remix of the Badge Arcade theme or some random song unassociated with a fighter. The Galaga song was the last song not associated with a fighter and that was 2 months ago

Something like this probably

If we want to be pedantic, the shield of seals is also only specific to Marth & the awakening gang
more importantly imo the shield just kind of sucks!

it looks bad! It's probably why they tried to redesign it twice
Those first two remind me of a menu screen from an RPG before and after getting the "key items".

Definitely not this week.
I'm not sure if I say it won't happen this week. If it's as low key as just announcing one fighter they don't need to telegraph it by that far. Then again I'm not sure how they would announce it. The Smash Blog didn't mention the Direct until it aired so it seems it's on Nintendo's own social media to announce such a thing.

Those first two remind me of a menu screen from an RPG before and after getting the "key items".
That's basically what it's used for. I dont think the shield actually showed up beyond maybe a UI element in the first game, but the third game has consistent subobjective of getting the shield and filling it with the gem stones so it properly becomes the "Shield of Seals"
When you collected them they'd slot in. Awakening did the same thing.

Random thought looking at that list of series who have yet to be featured as song. Would if we got Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde as a new character? Obviously it's unlikely, but I could get behind that idea.

Man the first half of Part 4 would've been so much better if they just changed the objectives and toned down the reinforcements a little bit. 4-P works as a rout map, but 4-1 should be a defense map, 4-2 and 4-3 be defeat boss, and 4-4 should be seize. If you weren't forced to kill every reinforcement and they instead served as encouragement to rush forward and finish quickly those maps wouldn't be anywhere near as obnoxious.
That’s the strangest thing about Part 4, it feels like it some chapters were design with a certain objective in mind, but they didn’t follow through.

Ike’s first chapter is a fog of war where you had to protect the camp and storywise a certain character. Multiple sides of the map had openings to attack your squad. But it ends up being a route chapter.

People still believe the music theory after Pokémon?
There's nothing that would suggest there being a Pokemon in the game. Even Ken has more things going for him with that leaked picture.

All Pokemon/Incineroar have going for him is the assumption of there being a new Pokemon fighter and Vergeben's word that there would be one. Looking at Ultimate's newcomer roster and how limited it could potentially be it would be weird that they would dedicate resources on a character that at the time would've had no proven popularity especially in comparison to other characters that did well in the ballot or were from recently released games. Not to mention Pokemon already got the biggest boon with Everyone is Here including getting 3 fighters added back.

That's not even to mention that it's weird that they put up the song now when it could've been saved for their eventual reveal. Especially with how close it would be.

Ganondorf ultimately was added because his Space World model happened to fit Captain Falcon's moveset and he was popular, so I doubt his chances of reappearing really played a role into that, since he largely made it due to being bale to reuse assets.
If Ganondorf was skipped until Brawl, I imagine he would be very different.

Part of me wants to see Xenoblade get a song tomorrow for one simple reason: The Music theory dies off with it. Mind you for all we know, Shadow or some Sonic character could still happen, but really outside of Xenoblade, it does feel like a newcomer from the remaining series seems unlikely in comparison (although I still wouldn't mind a Kid Icarus rep).

Either way, whether if it is later confirmed or not, any songs we get between now and release won't really matter since it would be like predicting "all veterans are going to return" after watching the premiere trailer. Seems fairly obvious and can't really be expanded on any further beyond that.

Part of me wants to see Xenoblade get a song tomorrow for one simple reason: The Music theory dies off with it. Mind you for all we know, Shadow or some Sonic character could still happen, but really outside of Xenoblade, it does feel like a newcomer from the remaining series seems unlikely in comparison (although I still wouldn't mind a Kid Icarus rep).

Either way, whether if it is later confirmed or not, any songs we get between now and release won't really matter since it would be like predicting "all veterans are going to return" after watching the premiere trailer. Seems fairly obvious and can't really be expanded on any further beyond that.
If think we won't get a Pokemon newcomer because of the music theory then a Xenoblade song definitely isn't going to change their minds.

There's nothing that would suggest there being a Pokemon in the game. Even Ken has more things going for him with that leaked picture.

All Pokemon/Incineroar have going for him is the assumption of there being a new Pokemon fighter and Vergeben's word that there would be one. Looking at Ultimate's newcomer roster and how limited it could potentially be it would be weird that they would dedicate resources on a character that at the time would've had no proven popularity especially in comparison to other characters that did well in the ballot or were from recently released games. Not to mention Pokemon already got the biggest boon with Everyone is Here including getting 3 fighters added back.

That's not even to mention that it's weird that they put up the song now when it could've been saved for their eventual reveal. Especially with how close it would be.
All Pokémon has going for it is it is one of the biggest IPs in the world and had a new game come out at the perfect time for Smash's development cycle (as we saw with X & Y and Smash 4).

But other than those little things...

Man the first half of Part 4 would've been so much better if they just changed the objectives and toned down the reinforcements a little bit. 4-P works as a rout map, but 4-1 should be a defense map, 4-2 and 4-3 be defeat boss, and 4-4 should be seize. If you weren't forced to kill every reinforcement and they instead served as encouragement to rush forward and finish quickly those maps wouldn't be anywhere near as obnoxious.
I’d say Radiant Dawn’s biggest problem is by the finale you have almost 30 really awesome characters and you have to exclude half of them from the final battles while losers like Sothe and Sanaki are forced.

Uh, no it wouldn't. There could only be 2 newcomers remaining and both could be from new series. For example, the final 2 could be a 3rd party character and retro rep.

Let’s get some Daisy match gameplay. Poor girl is the most forgotten newcomer from what I’ve seen in discussions.

Memoryman is the only one keeping her alive. Toss her a bone.

All Pokémon has going for it is it is one of the biggest IPs in the world and had a new game come out at the perfect time for Smash's development cycle (as we saw with X & Y and Smash 4).

But other than those little things...
None of that is particularly conclusive. Mario is a big franchise and has plenty of material for playable characters including having one of their major recurring characters finally having a game where they had a playable role and they're still not on the roster. Also we don't know if they'll actually look for a new Pokemon because once again Pokemon already got 3 fighters come back that's a fine reason for not needing to consider it.

At this point assuming we'll have a new Pokemon fighter is a huge assumption. Not one without merit but there really isn't anything to suggest it would have to happen.

Or this when Decidueye didn't get in. :(

Heath you know full well that if that happens my body will transform into a rocket ship and fly directly into the sun

Literally me when Inceneroar is revealed.

(Or both of us if Primarina is the fighter).
I don't have a gif on hand but if the character wound up being an Alolan Pokemon Trainer (with Litten, Brionne, and Decidueye), then my reaction would be something like this:

}:^D

If think we won't get a Pokemon newcomer because of the music theory then a Xenoblade song definitely isn't going to change their minds.
Pokemon and Xenoblade at this point feel like the only other franchises that we could see a newcomer come out of. As such if Xenoblade is gone, there is really no other franchises to fall back on since it would be silly to say "Star Fox isn't going to get any newcomers?! Who could have seen that coming!?"

Uh, no it wouldn't. There could only be 2 newcomers remaining and both could be from new series. For example, the final 2 could be a 3rd party character and retro rep.
But then there's not much to debate there either for the music theory. If we were to say get that Rhythm Heaven rep, and Heihachi from Tekken, that doesn't do much about the theory either if it is series that haven't seen any representation yet anyway. The theory itself is mainly focused on the "existing series" with any new ones just being apart of the next music update after their reveal.

So going by that music rule:

Franchises that haven't appeared yet:

- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Star Fox
- Punch-Out!!
- Earthbound
- Wario
- Kid Icarus
- Mii
- Wii Fit
- Duck Hunt
- R.O.B.
- Game & Watch.
- Pac-Man

I'd be pretty shocked if tomorrow's song was a Xenoblade or Sonic remix. But I also don't see the latter 6 getting a new remix (I know Duck hunt has a new one but I don't see them revealing it tomorrow). Earthbound is a wild card so I'm guessing it's going to be from any of these:

Star Fox, Punch-Out!!, Wario or Kid Icarus.

Of course, it could always just be a song from an unrepped IP.
There is a Duck Hunt song remix in his trailer. If anything the only franchise that's confirmed to not have a remix is Game and Watch and I don't think it had one in Smash 4 and had alot of it's tracks filled up with other franchise music like Pictochat and Dr Mario

None of that is particularly conclusive. Mario is a big franchise and has plenty of material for playable characters including having one of their major recurring characters finally having a game where they had a playable role and they're still not on the roster. Also we don't know if they'll actually look for a new Pokemon because once again Pokemon already got 3 fighters come back that's a fine reason for not needing to consider it.

At this point assuming we'll have a new Pokemon fighter is a huge assumption. Not one without merit but there really isn't anything to suggest it would have to happen.
We've seen a new Mario stage, but we have yet to see a new Pokémon stage. Are you going to also argue that we won't get a new Pokémon stage? With the rumor that we're getting five more stages in the base game?

(And we know that we're getting some Gen VII representation through Poké Balls.)

At this point, I think getting no Pokemon newcomer would be best for the sake of hype and mystery regarding the final character reveals.

Unless it's Decidueye; then we're in dream-scenario territory.

Heath you know full well that if that happens my body will transform into a rocket ship and fly directly into the sun

I don't have a gif on hand but if the character wound up being an Alolan Pokemon Trainer (with Litten, Brionne, and Decidueye), then my reaction would be something like this:

Man that would be the dream.

Imagine if instead of getting no new pokemon reps we got 3.

I’d say Radiant Dawn’s biggest problem is by the finale you have almost 30 really awesome characters and you have to exclude half of them from the final battles while losers like Sothe and Sanaki are forced.
The finale of Radiant Dawn is amazing IMO. I think the limited selection works better than in any other game in the series, because usually you just stick with one core team and sometimes sub out a 1 or 2 units with backups depending on the map and deployment slots. But in RD, due to the structure of the game you get a chance to get some real use out of almost every character in the game at some point, so by the end you're more familiar with a lot more of the cast than usual and that makes the choice all the more difficult.

So many characters being forced might be obnoxious if it meant you only had a few to choose from, but you still get 10 personal choices outside of the forced deployments, which is enough to slot in all your truly essential units but just limiting enough that you'll have to make some difficult cuts. You really have to think about who you're gonna pick and who you're gonna leave behind. It's perfect.

We've seen a new Mario stage, but we have yet to see a new Pokémon stage. Are you going to also argue that we won't get a new Pokémon stage? With the rumor that we're getting five more stages in the base game?

(And we know that we're getting some Gen VII representation through Poké Balls.)
I mean perhaps we might not get a stage especially when the Mario and Zelda stages are basically asset rips from existing games and a Sun and Moon stage could potentially require a total remaster and Pokemon once again already has gotten a bunch of remastering done. Plus Pokeball Pokemon aren't conclusive when they're really simple to implement and don't require a ton of work. For all we know the Pokeball mon are probably the only Gen VII representation we'll get.

With that said I'm more confident on Pokemon getting a stage over a new fighter because admittedly it would be weird for Sun and Moon to get nothing considering how big those games were in between Smash 4/DLC and Smash Ultimate.