The Big Funding Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

Project Lead
Administrator
Introduction

Hello! Almost three months ago we pledged to keep ResetEra self-funded through the end of 2017 so that we could stay focused on making sure that the site would run smoothly for all of you. We are delighted to have kept that pledge in the face of explosive growth and mounting expenses. It hasn't always been easy, but it has always been worth it.

In order to ensure that ResetEra will be self-sufficient going forward, we would now like to announce in detail our plans for the long term funding of the site. These plans will go into effect tomorrow (January 18th) and will involve about two hours of scheduled downtime from 12:00PM - 2:00PM GMT.

We're Running Ads!

After examining a few different models, at the end of the day running ads was clearly the option that made the most sense; it leverages our millions of monthly unique visitors, as opposed to placing the full burden on our 34,000 active members.

As soon as this path was decided, we immediately set about trying to figure out what implementation would work best for the community. We know well the frustration that can come with low quality, malicious, or otherwise intrusive ads. We wanted to do better. So for the past month we've been thoroughly researching our options and we're pleased to report that we believe we have found the best path forward.

A Better Class of Advertising

We have gone out of our way to partner with a premium ad service that guarantees manual, human screening of every advertisement that appears on our site. This is quality assurance by hand, not by algorithm. This should mean, at least in theory:
  • No Browser Hijacks
  • No Malware
  • No Pop-Ups
  • No Redirects
  • Always Safe For Work
If you notice any of the above slipping due to human error, please do not hesitate to click on the option under the ad to report it. You should also send screenshots to Ferny, deltaplus, or myself (Cerium). We're very interested in making sure that the standards of quality we've been promised are upheld.

The idea is that our ads shouldn't merely be safe to view, they should be safe to click on, providing a secure user experience on both desktop and mobile.

Still Don't Want Ads? Introducing Era Clear!

One request we've heard repeatedly from members is for an option to support the site directly without needing to view ads. The demand for this was strong enough that we investigated it and are pleased to now report that it will be possible! This is of course completely optional.

That's right! For $3.99 a month or $39.99 a year, an Era Clear subscription will remove all advertisements on ResetEra while you are logged into your account.

As an Era Clear subscriber you can retain the cleanest possible browsing experience while taking pride in giving something back. However, while we appreciate your support, you will not receive any other benefit or consideration over other members. You will still be expected to follow the rules. This is strictly about ad removal. If you happen to get banned, we will cancel your subscription for you.

What About Ad Block?

We hope that you will consider whitelisting us. We've gone to great lengths to ensure that our ads will be safe, unintrusive, and inoffensive. That said, we will not ban you for using an ad blocker. Just try not to brag about it; that's rude not just to us but also to the paying subscribers.

Funding Priorities

Our first and foremost goal is to cover the operating expenses of the site and secure its long term existence. Should we earn a surplus we aim to build a warchest that can carry us through any rainy days ahead. We also have long term ambitions to reinvest in a number of technology and software upgrades; later this month we hope to be able to improve our hosting in such a way that will ensure the site will be able to handle any traffic without a hitch, even during the very heights of E3.

Ferny

FutureERA
Era Clear FAQ

What does this subscription get me?

You will remove all ads from the site - including on mobile - as long as you are subscribed and logged in to your account.

Where can I subscribe?

You will see a new item titled 'Account Upgrades' when hovered over your Avatar that looks like this:
upload_2018-1-17_19-57-43.png

You can also access the page if you go to your personal preferences too:
upload_2018-1-17_19-59-41.png

This will allow you to sign up to one of the two subscription options.

How does it work exactly?

You will see the following two options available to you:

Era Clear Monthly
Era Clear Yearly

Era Clear Monthly is $3.99 per month. Era Clear Yearly is $39.99 per year. Each option is recurring in the sense that a month or year after you sign up, you will be charged again for the subscription. You will be able to cancel the recurrence at any time during your subscription and you will still receive the full length of time you originally subscribed to.

For example: You subscribe to Era Clear Yearly. But 5 months in you decide to cancel the subscription at the end of the term. You will still receive the remaining time you subscribed to until the year is up and then the subscription will run out.

How quickly will the subscription take effect?

Within a couple of minutes, you should have all ads removed from the site on both your desktop browsing experience as well a mobile devices! Because we use PayPal, the system is connected to your forum account and will automatically make the change.

What happens if I get banned from the site?

This is something we accounted for in regard to the subscription system. Hopefully it's something we don't ever have to deal with, but if it so does, depending on the length of the ban, the recurrence will be cancelled for you.

Because you are not able to browse the site normally during a banned instance, you would have no way to go in and cancel a subscription from happening. So, our system will cancel a recurrence for you depending on the timeframe.

An example:

You are on ERA Clear Monthly and have 25 days left on your subscription. You are banned for 1 day. The system will not stop the recurrence as you would be able to come back and do so. Whereas if you had 2 days left and banned for 1 day, it would cancel it at that time.

We never want you have to have to be charged in a situation where you were not able to make that change for yourself so this is something we made sure was built in to avoid those situations as much as possible.

Who do we contact if we have issues?

Main point of contact is myself (Ferny) deltaplus or Cerium.

Of course, any Mod or Admin will be able to relay information to us as well, but please feel free to send me any PMs with questions or concerns you have before, after, or during the subscription process.

I'll be doing Era clear asap. Thank you! Does this apply to all browsers that the account is logged in at? Not that I'm admitting to browsing at work where ads aren't blocked for security reasons. I operate a whitelist at home.

Also how about some Era Clear flair for subscribers. I want a gold border around my name or avatar! Make me beautiful!

Last edited:

Cerium

Project Lead
Administrator
I'll be doing Era clear asap. Thank you! Does this apply to all browsers that the account is logged in at? Not that I'm admitting to browsing at work where ads aren't blocked for security reasons. I operate a whitelist at home.
It will apply to every browser you're logged in on, yes!

Can't wait to read the threads from people. "Why am I getting hentai ads?" "Is anyone else seeing sex toy ads" only for people to discover it's mostly based on your search trends :D

The staff deserve the money anyway so bring em on.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
What happens when someone gets banned to the function?

This user has been banned for not reading.

What happens if I get banned from the site?

This is something we accounted for in regard to the subscription system. Hopefully it's something we don't ever have to deal with, but if it so does, depending on the length of the ban, the recurrence will be cancelled for you.

Because you are not able to browse the site normally during a banned instance, you would have no way to go in and cancel a subscription from happening. So, our system will cancel a recurrence for you depending on the timeframe.

An example:

You are on ERA Clear Monthly and have 25 days left on your subscription. You are banned for 1 day. The system will not stop the recurrence as you would be able to come back and do so. Whereas if you had 2 days left and banned for 1 day, it would cancel it at that time.

We never want you have to have to be charged in a situation where you were not able to make that change for yourself so this is something we made sure was built in to avoid those situations as much as possible.

Love how yall are going above and beyond for both ads and a subscription service than the other site so we can show our support. I'll give a try to the ads as long as I don't get Girls X Battle tier ads. First sight of those or targeted ads and I might jump to the subscription service.

Come on son, you wanted them to keep paying out of pocket for a massive forum?

Can't wait to read the threads from people. "Why am I getting hentai ads?" "Is anyone else seeing sex toy ads" only for people to discover it's mostly based on your search trends :D

The staff deserve the money anyway so bring em on.
The OP already said that there is noting NSFW.

I had the urge this week to do a troll thread about how it should be Era+ instead of Era Gold because + implies a simple upgrade to the base experience, while Gold implies that Gold members are superior to the rest. I think Clear's a fine name though.

Who is the treasurer?
Will you publish Yearly Profit/Loss info?
Will you publish Expenses/Revenue info?

Is ResetEra a for profit entity?

If not, will you (are you) register(ed) as a Co-Operative, Charity, Trust, Not for profit, or similar US equivalent?

Oh wow. I never had trouble with the ads on the old site (they are always videogame related on my end, I don't know why), so I'll just keep them running here. This site takes money to maintain.

The OP already said that there is noting NSFW.
If it's based on your search trend it might be out of their hand to decide what ads are running.

As an Era Clear subscriber you can retain the cleanest possible browsing experience while taking pride in giving something back. However, while we appreciate your support, you will not receive any other benefit or consideration over other members. You will still be expected to follow the rules. This is strictly about ad removal. If you happen to get banned, we will cancel your subscription for you.
Thank you for this. Both the option to buy-in to remove ads, and keeping that the *only* benefit of paying in.

Well done, and will gladly support an ad-free ResetEra moving forward.

Sounds great, glad to have a way to directly support the site, even though I'll probably just stick to ads. With how much time I spend here it'll probably provide more money anyway

I spend too much time on this site to not show love. And I'm a jaded NYer that hold his wallet tight as shit. So, this place is something special to me for me to throw 40$ in.

Whitelisted weeks ago in anticipation for this. I wish I could afford the Era clean simply to offer support, but I'm at my lowest point financially and I can't even afford games. :D

So, assuming revenue generating parity between ads and subscription, this means that 34,000 members * $39.99 = 1.36 Million / year in gross revenue.

Those numbers don't seem to add up. I'd be shocked if resetera generates half of that. I'm guessing ads only generate $20 on average per user per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.