This time its serious-I am fucked beyond relief

Some background:
Started working at a casual/fast food diner back in 2016. Stayed there for 13 months, pay came on time every 2 weeks and despite issues with the management's attitude I was completely okay with the place. Went for mandatory conscription for 9 months, and started working afterwards cause I needed a job. Place was in total shambles. One boss left after leaving a huge amount of debt, pay is behind 3 months, food quality has dropped and the job is a total dead end. And that's where I am right now.
In a hole with no pay. The kitchen is without a chef and we are working 12 hour shifts till we find new people cause its a 24H place. Boss told us he is handing me and my coworker the responsibility of running the kitchen. And today was my first day as the other half of Kitchen Management. I still have no idea why I'm staying, beyond the fact that I like the store concept, have no ill will towards the boss as we are keeping afloat a good thing that may end up paying us better in the long run, and as a professional I have an obligation to run the ship ti the last breath. In comes the phone call from my mentor this morning.
Old place I had my apprenticeship at called me up today to offer me a job. And I want it badly. Great establishment, on time pay and proper benefits. Much higher quality food, I can improve in a proper cooking environment and I am much more friensly with the staff as I still go by monthly to have a coffee and say hi. But word travels. I give up on my current job, and I can easily shut the store down with that kinda move cause I am vital to the kitchen running. I really don't need that weight on my back. And yet its my mentor. On a lot of levels I owe him a lot, as he went through a lot at the start of my career to mold me into a great cook. For him to call me and speak as an equal, to want me to come to his side and work the kitchen together, I would haul ass. How the hell do I handle this?

fuck that. you don't pay me, I don't show up to work...especially for a shitty fast food diner job. Take the other job and move on

In comes the phone call from my mentor this morning.
Old place I had my apprenticeship at called me up today to offer me a job. And I want it badly.
Take the new job.
Great establishment, on time pay and proper benefits.
Take it.
Much higher quality food, I can improve in a proper cooking environment and I am much more friensly with the staff as I still go by monthly to have a coffee and say hi.
Take it.
But word travels. I give up on my current job, and I can easily shut the store down with that kinda move cause I am vital to the kitchen running. I really don't need that weight on my back. And yet its my mentor. On a lot of levels I owe him a lot, as he went through a lot at the start of my career to mold me into a great cook.
Take it.
For him to call me and speak as an equal, to want me to come to his side and work the kitchen together, I would haul ass. How the hell do I handle this?
Take it.

Guys I got offered a great job I really want but my current job is shitty and failing and we don't get paid what should I do????

Yeah you don't seem fucked at all. You just got an offer for an upgrade. As others have said, take it.

Loyalty is good, but an employer can't expect it for free.

Jesus man, you're problem is "Somebody offered me a great job with good pay, benefits, a bright future and friendly co workers but I'm currently working 12 hour shifts at a shitty fast food restaurant without getting paid, what should I do?"

It's not your obligation to save a business because the owners run it poorly. They clearly don't care much about you if your not getting paid on time.

Sounds like this place is inevitably going down anyway. Why go down with a sinking ship? Take the offer and go.
I dunno, I get attached to these things easily. Indunno if stolckholm syndrome is the right phrase, but I just feel like maybe trying to get things back in order is not the worst option.
Take the damn job dude, what are you doing
No idea really.
And it's "beyond belief"
Shit is triggering me
Eh. Wasn't trying to be dramatic, I just feel like I'm in a corner. This decision to take the reigns came up only yesterday as the last chef hightailed it on short notice, and today I get another call from another job. Doing this 180° in a 24H time period feels like a dick move and again, word travels.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that as a proper restaurant, I have no worries about Night shifts, the work schedule is way more lax, and getting in with that crowd gets you in for life with the cities inner chef circle. I guess its not help as much as affirmation that I am doing the right thing, even with a less then weeks notice.

Work without pay if you have an actual stake in the place. Otherwise, do what is best for you. They wouldn't hesitate to let you go if it were a benefit to them, so don't think twice about it.

Eh. Wasn't trying to be dramatic, I just feel like I'm in a corner. This decision to take the reigns came up only yesterday as the last chef hightailed it on short notice, and today I get another call from another job. Doing this 180° in a 24H time period feels like a dick move and again, wors travels.
"Mitch, I heard you left the diner up shit creek! You know they had to close down? What a dick move!"

"A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity came up and they hadn't paid me in three months"

"Oh okay that totally makes sense"

I really don't understand the "word travels" concern at all

Word travels?

Put word on the ground that they won’t pay you. Play the game before they can play you.

“Why’d you leave your previous position?”

“They didn’t pay me.”

Boom.

Eh. Wasn't trying to be dramatic, I just feel like I'm in a corner. This decision to take the reigns came up only yesterday as the last chef hightailed it on short notice, and today I get another call from another job. Doing this 180° in a 24H time period feels like a dick move and again, wors travels.
If dick moves were measured like spicy peppers, your change of plans would be a jalapeno and NOT PAYING YOU FOR THREE MONTHS would be a Carolina reaper

I dunno, I get attached to these things easily. Indunno if stolckholm syndrome is the right phrase, but I just feel like maybe trying to get things back in order is not the worst option.

No idea really.

Eh. Wasn't trying to be dramatic, I just feel like I'm in a corner. This decision to take the reigns came up only yesterday as the last chef hightailed it on short notice, and today I get another call from another job. Doing this 180° in a 24H time period feels like a dick move and again, word travels.
Chances are the place closes in the next few months and they probably won't tell you until the last day. You owe the business nothing.