This time its serious-I am fucked beyond relief

While I understand the loyalty you feel to your current employer, if they're not paying you, and you're being offered a more stable opportunity, you have to leave. It will initially feel like shit, but you really don't owe your company anything besides 2 weeks' notice. Sometimes, you have to get messy to make things better for yourself.

Man, the place you're currently in sounds like a management hell with no pay, where the offer seems to represent everything that's opposite to that.

Go to the other place, I understand your loyalty to the place in shambles, but it's not even a question between you and me.

Do yourself a favor and leave.

If word goes by quick, it'll be that you made the decision that made sense.

The choice is so obvious OP. You have unanimous feedback here. There is an objectively correct way to handle this situation.

Do not feel guilty and do not hesitate. Give notice ASAP. Like... right now. This moment.

Man, the place you're currently in sounds like a management hell with no pay, where the offer seems to represent everything that's opposite to that.

Go to the other place, I understand your loyalty to the place in shambles, but it's not even a question between you and me.

Do yourself a favor and leave.
What if he can grow it from the rubble and become a millionaire in the next day though.

Era doesn't even consider that fact.

I'd call Gordon Ramsey and get paid to be on TV.
exactly. Go viral trying to keep the shitty place afloat. Documenting everything.

I'm actually kinda shocked that literally every single post is telling OP to leave. Is this the first ERA thread with a 100% consensus on something?

What the hell? If they aren't paying you, you should have been gone already. You never owe any company anything, no matter how long you've been working there, no matter how much they "need" you. Unless you own the business, don't get invested in things like "the food quality has gone downhill." That is not your problem.

25. Started in the field at 20.
Your thread title and content of your OP....don't really make sense to me.

It's admirable that you want to stay but don't think staying and screwing your self or your future over has anything to do with being "professional". You are in a terrible spot right now yes...I will give you that, but this opportunity just landed and you need to take it. If your current employer doesn't understand that then well...to bad. You are not responsible for that last manager that ran that debt up. You need to look out for you and you only.

Think about your career OP, hell your lively hood, before worrying about what others might think of you if you left a dying dead end job.
I completely agree. It may be the shock thats not letting me think clearly, because the possibility of any sort of good future as small as it is for the store is nagging at me.

It almost sounds like he works for the mob.
Hahaha, no. Its just that in a small city, everyone takks to everyone. When there are only a 100 or so high to low end stores and almost everyone has at least worked with st least 1 person some time ago, nothing slips through the cracks. And beyind that, the bosses are kind of aggressive in these matters. They knce found kut about an interview for one of our better waitresses, and shut it down hard. Then followed up with another 10. She was so frustrated at not finding a job she just stuck with the store.

Get out of there as soon as possible. Be respectful but stern, if they aren't paying you, you're leaving.

Not sure where you live, but in the US there is an extreme shortage of line cooks all over. Nobody worth their salt in the industry will look down on you for leaving a kitchen that is not paying you, and ALSO expecting more responsibility from you. I've hired cooks in a somewhat similar situation and their stories were known, the only thing people said to them was "why didn't you leave sooner?"

Based on the fact he had to go for "mandatory conscription" my guess he's not in the US, so this may not be as easy for him. In the US, businesses don't owe their employees anything, but on the flip side, the good news is that employees don't owe their businesses anything either. If an employee wants to leave, they can, no issue, no two weeks notice (although that's extremely rude in doing so).

I'm guessing his country might be a bit more co-operation between businesses and workers, and a better work/life culture. That's all well and good, but at the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you.

who doesn't like a twist ending..?

Ops put in 5 cold hard years. Its like fucking hell in there.
2 years jn the store actually, 5 in general as a cook.

Who's gonna save you when you too busy saving others?
That's the other issue. The guy I'm supposed to share responsibilities with was a trainee for us back when I started out. Dude should be nowhere near my position, and his work is not at my level. I'm being slighted for a coaster, and that's my real issue. They did this knowing I was going to take it badly anyway they present it, and I feel its gonna get real personal real fast.

25. Started in the field at 20.
Cmon man you need to know better by now. It’s about that time. A job not paying for months never will pay your back. Even when they go under they not gonna cut you a check. You’re wasting your time.

Protect your bottom line and don’t be a sucker. Not being paid for three months makes you look like a saint. It can’t hurt you lol. It also shows you have a spine and won’t just tolerate shit forever.

You really trying to let this opportunity pass you. Then when this job lets you and everyone else go then what?

I think you should stay at the job that doesn't pay you and be miserable for the rest of your life. Like any sane, rational person would do.

That's the other issue. The guy I'm supposed to share responsibilities with was a trainee for us back when I started out. Dude should be nowhere near my position, and his work is not at my level. I'm being slighted for a coaster, and that's my real issue. They did this knowing I was going to take it badly anyway they present it, and I feel its gonna get real personal real fast.
“My girl cheated on me 8 times last week. how do I make it work, era?”

Oh just 2 years?

Leave and go to another job that pays you in money.

You do know that your current job will likely be gone in the next couple of months, when your job offer will no longer be on the table and you're both in debt and without a job?

You almost deserve being miserable if you're contemplating staying.

The offer you got is pretty much a dream situation most would love to be in. Your current situation is a shit situation and it's never going to improve.

Take that new job and do it with a smile. The place you’re at now isn’t yours to worry about, you were just an employee who wound up shouldering responsibility that you didn’t sign on for.

Some background:
Started working at a casual/fast food diner back in 2016. Stayed there for 13 months, pay came on time every 2 weeks and despite issues with the management's attitude I was completely okay with the place. Went for mandatory conscription for 9 months, and started working afterwards cause I needed a job. Place was in total shambles. One boss left after leaving a huge amount of debt, pay is behind 3 mont-
Holy fuck, how the hell have you been working for three months with no pay? Fucking leave.

Cmon man you need to know better by now. It’s about that time. A job not paying for months never will pay your back. Even when they go under they not gonna cut you a check. You’re wasting your time.

Protect your bottom line and don’t be a sucker. Not being paid for three months makes you look like a saint. It can’t hurt you lol.
Yeah I should know, but its the feeling of wasted time which is the real kicker. Before the first time, I felt like it was a real investment and worth it. Yes its not the greatest olace to eat, but it was worth it because of the experience. We had one of the most demanding service hours and customers, still have a high class clientele list with multiple local and nstional celebs coming to us despite the stores issues, and its the great first 13 months which is keeping me going. Cause it was great. Despite the yelling, the pure insanity of dealing with all that pressure, it still offered a lot. And I guess because it used to offer, I kinda want to hold out maybe because it will offer it someday again. But yeah, going through the motions in thos thread is helping me realise its jjstnnot feasible.

Based on the fact he had to go for "mandatory conscription" my guess he's not in the US, so this may not be as easy for him. In the US, businesses don't owe their employees anything, but on the flip side, the good news is that employees don't owe their businesses anything either. If an employee wants to leave, they can, no issue, no two weeks notice (although that's extremely rude in doing so).

I'm guessing his country might be a bit more co-operation between businesses and workers, and a better work/life culture. That's all well and good, but at the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you.
Exactly. I understand everything in this thread because I grew up in the states, and my Dad was in the business himself. Its mostly why I'm uncertain, he is one if ny best sources of advice, and when even he is uncertain of what I should do, then things aren't looking for me. And yeah, loads of coop between businesses and workers. One of the managers at the store started out the same time I did. We went out a lot before the army, still met up when I came back home for a couple of days and we can't keep an employee-manager relationship seriously. And a lot of people have the same kinda relationship in other stores, and the same manager can be friends with people elsewhere I go.

For the love of God, stop talking about shitty jobs like your high school crush that you can't give up. You don't own anyone anything, you are not obligated to try keeping afloat a boat which, had the circumstances been different, would dump you in the waters faster than you can say unemployment. This job is taking advantage of you, plain and simple.
Think with your pocket, about your future, for yourself.

That 9 month conscription sound awfully familiar. Multiply everything I said with 100 if it's Greece we are talking about.

Last edited:
Hahaha, no. Its just that in a small city, everyone takks to everyone. When there are only a 100 or so high to low end stores and almost everyone has at least worked with st least 1 person some time ago, nothing slips through the cracks. And beyind that, the bosses are kind of aggressive in these matters. They knce found kut about an interview for one of our better waitresses, and shut it down hard. Then followed up with another 10. She was so frustrated at not finding a job she just stuck with the store.
Wow seriously? Fuck them. For sure you screw them over after that. You should have no pity for shitty management. None. They'll figure it out or they won't, but it's not your problem. Especially when they're not paying you.

What you need to do is go up to them and say "I demand my pay immediately, as well as a raise, or I'm out." If you're that important, they'll make it work.

For the love of God, stop talking about shitty jobs like your high school crush that you can't give up. You don't own anyone anything, you are not obligated to try keeping afloat a boat which, had the circumstances been different, would dump you in the waters faster than you can say unemployment. This job is taking advantage of you, plain and simple.
Think with your pocket, about your future, for yourself.

That 9 month conscription awfully familiar. Multiply everything I said with 100 if it's Greece we are talking about.
Yep. I'm up in Thessaloniki.

Yeah I should know, but its the feeling of wasted time which is the real kicker. Before the first time, I felt like it was a real investment and worth it. Yes its not the greatest olace to eat, but it was worth it because of the experience. We had one of the most demanding service hours and customers, still have a high class clientele list with multiple local and nstional celebs coming to us despite the stores issues, and its the great first 13 months which is keeping me going. Cause it was great. Despite the yelling, the pure insanity of dealing with all that pressure, it still offered a lot. And I guess because it used to offer, I kinda want to hold out maybe because it will offer it someday again. But yeah, going through the motions in thos thread is helping me realise its jjstnnot feasible.
You've put in years. Time to move on. It's the only way to keep moving forward. Don't stagnate. Trust me. Management isn't interested in your career growth. It only cares about extracting the most work from you at the cheapest price. I learned this the hard way. You have the internet to tell you what I fucking WISH someone told me at 25.

You need to nail this to your brain: You are your only career coach.

as a professional I have an obligation to run the ship ti the last breath.
I've got a lot of time for this kind of attitude, but they've exhausted your loyalty. Eventually you have to draw a line, and this is the place. You also have loyalty to your former mentor, so that should balance your conscience a bit.

This is the kind of thing where "Why can't you people just be normal!?" seems to apply once again.

OP: Ask your current boss to pay you for the three months work you're owed. They probably won't pay it all, but get as much as you can. Walk out immediately and never look back.

I get having feelings for the mentor/owner/whatever, but uh... if you can't pay your bills and you're putting in 12 hour days. Time to get out.

Take the new and obviously way better job. What are you doing second guessing this opportunity, seriously? People work crap jobs for years dreaming of a way out falling into their lap like this.

So what if words travels about a shithole crumbling without you? Respect yourself, god damn.

Last edited:
If you haven't been paid in 3 months your first call should be to a labor lawyer and get what you're owed. Then bounce to a more respectable workplace.

I AM FUCKED BEYOND BELIEF!

Guys, what should I do, I just won the lottery and could go cash this in for 1 Billion dollars. On the other hand, I'm naked, covered in gasoline and about to roll into this pile of burning tires. I made a commitment though and I don't know if I should change my plans?

heed everyones advice and leaving. you dont owe them anything if youre not getting paid. the boss just lay down his/her managing responsiblity to you which he shoulda been doing. just give it back to him/her and let him/he4 deal with it.
dont stay even if they say theyll match x, cause you know the pay wont be on time

I AM FUCKED BEYOND BELIEF!

Guys, what should I do, I just won the lottery and could go cash this in for 1 Billion dollars. On the other hand, I'm naked, covered in gasoline and about to roll into this pile of burning tires. I made a commitment though and I don't know if I should change my plans?
Your word is your bond, buddy. Here's a lighter.

Great post, lmao