This time its serious-I am fucked beyond relief

I AM FUCKED BEYOND BELIEF!

Guys, what should I do, I just won the lottery and could go cash this in for 1 Billion dollars. On the other hand, I'm naked, covered in gasoline and about to roll into this pile of burning tires. I made a commitment though and I don't know if I should change my plans?
I almost spat out my coffee all over my pants

Maybe your time in the service is giving you a fucked up sense of duty but from the sounds of it the owner is probably already planning to shut down and leave you high and dry. Like why would you give up a opportunity at a career because your boss couldn't run a business properly. If it could be fixed it would have already been done.

It sounds like you gave them 3 months worth of chances and they haven't improved. It's likely to get worse and they won't help you when it does, so it's time to leave.

Old place I had my apprenticeship at called me up today to offer me a job. And I want it badly. Great establishment, on time pay and proper benefits. Much higher quality food, I can improve in a proper cooking environment and I am much more friensly with the staff as I still go by monthly to have a coffee and say hi. But word travels. I give up on my current job, and I can easily shut the store down with that kinda move cause I am vital to the kitchen running. I really don't need that weight on my back. And yet its my mentor. On a lot of levels I owe him a lot, as he went through a lot at the start of my career to mold me into a great cook. For him to call me and speak as an equal, to want me to come to his side and work the kitchen together, I would haul ass. How the hell do I handle this?
I mean, what are they doing for you now? This sounds like a no-brainer

Fam unless they offer you equity in the business you owe them absolutely nothing. They aren't going to reward you with anything other than pain and stress, leave.

Guys, what should I do, I just won the lottery and could go cash this in for 1 Billion dollars. On the other hand, I'm naked, covered in gasoline and about to roll into this pile of burning tires. I made a commitment though and I don't know if I should change my plans?
!

Fantastic.

Like everyone else said. Get. Out. They have no right to ask anything of you if they’re not paying you. Take the higher paying job. You owe these people nothing.

Look at it like this. On your deathbed in (hopefully) decades from now, are you going to look back and this and say “damn I’m glad I stayed at that place that wasn’t paying me” or “I’m really glad I took an opportunity when it came knocking”

They're literally not paying you. Get out.

You're not even helping by staying, if the management couldn't get the place profitable enough to PAY ITS EMPLOYEES A WAGE, it means that by staying and keeping it afloat, you're only

A) harming the other employees and yourself by fooling yourselves into thinking you're EVER going to be paid.

B) Fooling the ownership into thinking there's a prayer they should be staying afloat, while ALSO accruing more and more debt in the form of unpaid wages.

The reality is people don't like to feel like they've failed, and they'll run their business into the ground way beyond what it makes sense to do. Staying on without being paid is only exacerbating the issue on everyone's part.

OP, you should stay because having money, time, and a future are all overrated and unnecessary. Besides if you leave, we might not get a sequel thread in a couple of months titled: 'It's even more serious!'

Leave.

There is nothing professional about being the only professional at a workplace otherwise devoid of them...that also hasn't paid you for 3 months. If news really does get around in your area, all you're doing at this point is painting a massive target on your back that you're exploitable.

It sounds like you're asking permission to do this so, fine, you have permission. Get the fuck out or get used to people trying to take advantage of you the rest of your professional career.

Holy shit man - you let them go without paying you for three months? AND you still feel conflicted about leaving?

You need to abandon ship asap. Take the damn job. How is this even a hard decision.

I've got two bros-in-law in the restaurant business. Restaurants shut down all the time. The weight of that isn't on you at all, unless you're a co-owner. They haven't paid you in months and there's no reason to think that's going to change any time soon. I hope you go back to the old place.

OP, I don't mean to sound rude, BUT ARE YOU FOR FUCKING REAL?!?!?!?!

Take the fucking new job. Jeez, I was actually expecting something bad with this thread title and instead you have been given a golden life preserver. Your current job is 3 months behind on pay, any job that is even a week behind on pay is one you should abandon. You don't owe them anything, it's a job. And, they are expected to pay you. Get. The. Fuck. Out. Now.

Fucking brilliant.

Fuck beyond belief?

Thought OP would homeless or dying or somthing.

Quitting a job for another one is not being completly fucked. If your boss is salty that this other job is in your best interests then he cant care that much about you.

How can you possibly have loyalty to an owner who doesn't pay you? You're not "going down with the ship," it's not your ship to go down on. You're a hand on someone else's ship, where the captain insists you repair the ship on his behalf while underwater, and he's indifferent if you drown or not.

Idk why some people have such abusive relationships with their employers.

Old place I had my apprenticeship at called me up today to offer me a job. And I want it badly. Great establishment, on time pay and proper benefits. Much higher quality food, I can improve in a proper cooking environment and I am much more friensly with the staff as I still go by monthly to have a coffee and say hi.
How do you type that out and even have any doubt in your mind? That other place is gonna throw you out on your ass, and wouldn't hesitate to do so for a second if it helped the bottom line, even if it was well run enough to actually bother paying you.

Hahaha, no. Its just that in a small city, everyone takks to everyone. When there are only a 100 or so high to low end stores and almost everyone has at least worked with st least 1 person some time ago, nothing slips through the cracks. And beyind that, the bosses are kind of aggressive in these matters. They knce found kut about an interview for one of our better waitresses, and shut it down hard. Then followed up with another 10. She was so frustrated at not finding a job she just stuck with the store.
So the management are complete fucking assholes even when they are paying their employees?

Leave.

Hahaha, no. Its just that in a small city, everyone takks to everyone. When there are only a 100 or so high to low end stores and almost everyone has at least worked with st least 1 person some time ago, nothing slips through the cracks. And beyind that, the bosses are kind of aggressive in these matters. They knce found kut about an interview for one of our better waitresses, and shut it down hard. Then followed up with another 10. She was so frustrated at not finding a job she just stuck with the store.
Nobody is going to have anything but sympathy for you if this is how management treats employees at your restaurant, on top of not being paid.

If the situation you've described is at all accurate with regards to your workplace and how they're treating you, you're actually doing more damage to your reputation by staying because you've got a massive sign over your head that says "I am fine with being exploited".

Get out yesterday, advise your co workers to do the same, file whatever claims you need to with the relevant agency for back pay.

Take the new job! I was in a very similar situation to you and took a new job and never looked back. Im so much happier now, I even took a part time morning job because I found that I had all this free time not working 12-14 hours every day.

Do it for your sanity, it's not your restaurant!

OP, you are never getting the back pay. The restaurant is going to file bankruptcy and you'll be last in line for money. Take the other offer. If you have talent, you get paid for said talent.

But word travels. I give up on my current job, and I can easily shut the store down with that kinda move cause I am vital to the kitchen running. I really don't need that weight on my back.
Do NOT feel this responsibility. You have no personal stake in the ownership of the business and unless they offer you that you think it is a worthwhile asset to have, it is literally NOT your weight to carry. Word will travel that you did your best in a bad situation and bailed when there was a better offer that actually respected your skills and experience. Not that you left and caused a place to close down. If the place closes down because one non-partner employee who they weren't even paying properly left, that place closed down because of bad management. No reasonable person blames the employees nor should they carry that sort of responsibility.