This time its serious-I am fucked beyond relief

Yeah I should know, but its the feeling of wasted time which is the real kicker.
Part of growing up is knowing when time was wasted and moving on. Most investments fail. Now you know the warning signs of a business circling the drain and will be a better businessperson in the future.

Leave and then sue them for not paying you. They aren’t your friend.
Would that even be worthwhile? Like, document the lack of pay because they still owe you, but you're not actually likely to get anything anyway, and if they do turn it around THEN they owe you. Suing them right now would just lead to nothing no?

Dude it's you who you have to be looking out for. They fucked themselves by being terrible at managing the restaurant, don't feel bad for quitting and taking the chance you've been presented with. Go for it, it's not your fault and more importantly. THEY AREN'T PAYING YOU!

No offense, the owner should have closed the restaurant, at least temporary. Keeping it open is of no benefit to anyone. I would tell him, if a bitter pill is needed, you take it

Would that even be worthwhile? Like, document the lack of pay because they still owe you, but you're not actually likely to get anything anyway, and if they do turn it around THEN they owe you. Suing them right now would just lead to nothing no?
Nah it’s not worth it. But if there were justice it’s what would happen.

The business is taking in money and it's going somewhere.

If you're really worried about the place, cut him some of your new check.

But you know, you really shouldn't have to do that either. Sometimes a place just doesn't hold together and for as much as it sucks--it's fine.

Workers are the first people you can't ignore. I don't know where he is but this is wage theft.
I mean, obviously they are, because they're being ignored. No shit they're not being paid, but people like distributors and whatnot won't keep doing shit without money, obviously the op is. They should stop. That doesn't mean there is money to sue for.

Workers are the first people you can't ignore. I don't know where he is but this is wage theft.
That's actually not true. Workers are the first people you can ignore usually, because society conditions people to keep doing something they are already doing. Not paying a worker immediately is less likely to have that worker quit on you, than not paying your rent. The property owner usually has zero personal relationship with the company renting, and is only interested in getting paid. Meanwhile the worker has a personal relationship with others they work with as well as their superiors and subordinates. This ties them down more, and makes it more likely that they will continue taking a raw deal. In the same way, if you are renting an apartment and build a relationship with your landlord, it's more likely that you could get away with missing rent than if you were renting from a faceless corporate entity.

Knowing what payments you can ignore, guides you in prioritizing what you pay first when you lack funds. In this case, the fact that the restaurant continues to operate without paying the workers, shows that working in practice. The OP should jump ship, but he hasn't yet. When he does, then it will shift the dynamic back towards the workers because there will be an awareness that maybe they can't be ignored now. But they were certainly not the first people that can't be ignored. Far from it unfortunately.

I mean, obviously they are, because they're being ignored. No shit they're not being paid, but people like distributors and whatnot won't keep doing shit without money, obviously the op is. They should stop. That doesn't mean there is money to sue for.
Well yeah the whole system doesn't work when someone decides it's ok to be a slave. But this place has ~25 workers and runs 24 hours a day. They can find the money to pay one person.

This is the part that I really want to understand:
We are like 6 key emoloyees who have stuck with the store for over 2 years and about 20 newbies who are changing every month. Its a mess.
Are the newbies working for two weeks, getting nothing and then quitting after not getting paid? Is nobody getting paid?

Last edited:
Seriously I say your boss should just close the shop for now, or is that not an option? It's already operating at a loss technically. It's ok to close the business if it's not making money instead of dragging it out.

False hope and loss of other opportunity aren't good for owner or the staffs

You might actually be better off if the place shuts down.

https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/mt/...n/greece-wage-guarantee-in-case-of-insolvency

Greece: Wage guarantee in case of insolvency
The purpose of the 'account to protect employees in the event of an employer's insolvency' is to pay salary arrears of up to three months to employees in a dependent employment relationship who have not been paid because of the insolvency of their employer. The labour force employment organisation (OAED) takes the place of the employer in respect of the rights of employees and pays the relevant social security contributions in respect of their salaries. Any outstanding salaries paid to beneficiaries must fall within the six-month period prior to the date of the employer's application for the business to be declared bankrupt or the date of publication of the ministerial decision withdrawing the operating licence (for liquidation of a business). Thereof, the maximum amount that the beneficiaries can claim is up to three months' salary, including credits such as holiday payments, among others. Severance pay is not reimbursed.
You should contact the OAED.

today I get another call from another job. Doing this 180° in a 24H time period feels like a dick move and again, word travels.
Get out bro. Unless you are some super famous up and coming chef, no word does not travel. No one cares if you apply to 10 jobs or 100 jobs, or say yes to one and change to another within a few hours or minutes. You gotta do what you gotta do. I 100% guarantee the other job can and will find someone and more than likely had another person to call if they could not reach you that day.

Stop having feelings for businesses man, they are not people. Move on and make a decent career for yourself.

See this:

You might actually be better off if the place shuts down.

https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/mt/...n/greece-wage-guarantee-in-case-of-insolvency

You should contact the OAED.
I know in the US (which isn't great for workers' rights), you can sue and depending on where you live, you can get your pay classified as 1st priority when the business goes under to get paid. When this place closes down (and it sounds like it will), they'll have to sell everything; cooking equipment, furniture, you name it. And it looks like in Greece, this person could be pretty early in line to get the proceeds of that liquidation.

Remember, no business on Earth is ever actually completely broke. They fail to pay all of their debt, and so they close, but that doesn't preclude them paying some of their debt. Just gotta make sure you get an early crack at the liquidated assets.

You're not getting paid, this shouldn't he a conundrum. The two week rule doesn't really apply either if you aren't a real employee. Real employees get paid by their employers.

Don't work without pay. The boss of that place will screw you into the ground if they think they can get away with it. Exact same thing happened to me a few years back. Worked 7 months for a guy in a project that I cared incredibly deeply for, and he took advantage of that. Never saw a penny for ages, and he only started paying me when things started getting cut off (phone etc). Still owed around 2 grand in back pay and a further £800 in taxes that I paid even though it should've been PAYE.

If you've got another job lined up, take it and run as far and fast from your current place as you can. You don't owe them shit.

normally i sneer when i see pendants complain about "misleading" thread titles but boy howdy is this one misleading thread title.

youre not fucked beyond all relief, youre not even close to being fucked, youre so far from being fucked this isnt even a wank. take. the. job.

Not getting paid for months but somehow being conflicted about taking one of the multiple better job offers pouring over you like a waterfall is the opposite of what I call fucked.

Wow, how this is a question/dilemma at all I have no idea. But if this is you being seriously fucked beyond relief then the rest of life is going to non stop gang bang laser rape you into another dimension.

Sounds like the person who isn't paying you ,and will probably lose their business, is the one who is fucked. You just got a better job offer, which the exact opposite.

God knows how'd you respond if something actually bad ever happened to you.

I can’t even believe this is a fucking decision. How are you even showing up for free everyday and you think you owe them somehow? Holy fuck dude wake up and leave.

As an employer, there's no possible guilt for an employee who leaves a sinking ship. The moment you're not getting paid you're free to go. You've already done something to help the place, you need to look out for yourself.

If the place is sinking, management is responsible. Nobody is going to blame the workers.

The ship is sinking and a life boat comes to save you. You're telling me you wouldn't hop on that life boat in an instant? No employer would turn you down for choosing money and an upward career path over no money.