[THREADMARKS DEMO] I found a baby...something (rat?). Help!

I hope OP can keep it. It's gonna imprint on him, right? Maybe it won't be fit to be returned to the wild. Although obviously whatever is best for it should be done, i dunno.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
All the guides are saying feed every 3 hours, but he seems to bloat a bit if I try that and his milk band lasts for at least 4-5. Can any experts weigh in on that?
The formula mix is probably stronger than the normal milk - if you dilute it more it'll probably want to feed more often.

You'll need some longer stretches of sleep to keep this up for the 2 weeks so having the current strength mix before you give yourself a 6 hour stretch of sleep, then weaker mix during the day, would be a decent compromise.

See if you can get some of that kitten/puppy milk in cartons from one of the vets, it'll be more convenient at least.

(I'm not an expert)

There's also one with a released squirrel caught by a cat. It's better off to be kept I think. It's probably not a squirrel judging by the size at this point, so that clears up that pet-suitability worry at least.
aren't mice shitty pets though? Rats are pretty good pets I thought.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector
If you guys really want me to put up a live stream of this thing I can probably find a way to sort it out but I'm almost sure it won't be nearly as interesting as people think.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector
Yes, and imho make a Venmo as well for this.

You still need to pay your bills.

That just feels...exploitative of me, is all. IDK. If you guys want me to I will, but I'll get by.

anyways, figuring out a placement for the stream. Tryna see how to angle a webcam and such for it correctly. Or is there a good smartphone streaming program?

LOL Eraserhead was the first thing that came up to me too.

OP that is really cool of you taking care of it. I would say to focus your energy into taking care of it and yourself instead of looking for streaming it or ask donations...But whatever you think it is fine.

Best of luck to the baby. Dude is a fighter, thatst for sure!

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Better to use the webcam since I assume you'd need the phone for the jobs. Raising a mystery rodent makes for a good stream hook, lol

My best friend growing up had a baby squirrel that used to hang out in the backyard and we fed him nuts. Eventually he got brave enough to start eating from our hands then he started climbing up on our shoulders and stuff and just chilling with us in the back yard. After a while he started coming in the house when the door was open and chilling with us in the basement while we played videogames and stuff. He would come when you called him and let us pet him and pick him up. He was fucking awesome. Then one day a cat chased him up a telephone pole and when he was running across the powerlines he got zapped and fell to his death in front of us. It was pretty traumatic. Poor guy.

Anyway, if it ends up being a squirrel, I think they are awesome to have as a buddy.

That just feels...exploitative of me, is all. IDK. If you guys want me to I will, but I'll get by.

anyways, figuring out a placement for the stream. Tryna see how to angle a webcam and such for it correctly. Or is there a good smartphone streaming program?
Well, that's my suggestion mostly because I do think taking two or three weeks off with little sleep suddenly will negatively impact you, and I think a lot of us would like to chip in a little so you can try to save the little guy. TBH even a couple dollars from people every few days until you can leave him alone for longer would help you and hopefully be enough to tide over any bills you might have to pay.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector
Well, that's my suggestion mostly because I do think taking two or three weeks off with little sleep suddenly will negatively impact you, and I think a lot of us would like to chip in a little so you can try to save the little guy. TBH even a couple dollars from people every few days until you can leave him alone for longer would help you and hopefully be enough to tide over any bills you might have to pay.
I appreciate it

What should I stream it on, Twitch's IRL tab, or?

Update #4 - Livestream Added

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector
Okay so bear with me, I don't stream cam much so this might be awkward, but it'll be nice to have extra sets of eyes on this.

It's up:

https://www.twitch.tv/buttzerker

Honestly it'll just be nice to have other people watching it/helping me ensure it's doing okay, especially if I need to head out and drive for a bit

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector
Okay so I wanna emphasize that I really don't want anyone to feel like they need to do this, bringing it up because someone asked me to (though I confess it would help)

If you do wanna donate so I can afford to skip work to take care of the baby, that's awesome of you, but again, no pressure if not.

Mod Edit: Links removed

And I'll be streaming him as much as I can afford to do so when I'm home!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I wanna emphasize that I really don't want anyone to feel like they need to do this, bringing it up because someone asked me to (though I confess it would help)

If you do wanna donate so I can afford to skip work to take care of the baby, that's awesome of you, but again, no pressure if not:

you should start a go fund me.

If you do wanna donate so I can afford to skip work to take care of the baby, that's awesome of you, but again, no pressure if not:

Thanks! Sent some $$$ your way. Good luck!

I'd it ends growing into a rat, would you release into the wild or keep it?
I sure hope he keeps it. If he does keep it as a pet, he did a kind thing here. If he winds up setting a rat loose after saving it, he ultimately did a disservice to society. That’s just the reality of the situation here.

Crowdfunding Notice

B-Dubs

Oh well, what the hell
Administrator
Official Staff Communication
This is an awesome thread and OP is doing an awesome thing, and I really hate to step in here, but unfortunately we have a rule against crowdfunding and we need to be fair to everyone. If members would like to PM the OP to figure out how you can help that'll be between you guys, but we can't have the direct links posted in here. Apologies.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector
Hey B-Dubs, totally understand and sorry about the mistake there!

Will make sure I'm not mentioning the donation stuff anymore. Thanks for the heads up instead of just locking the thread!

Hey B-Dubs, totally understand and sorry about the mistake there!

Will make sure I'm not mentioning the donation stuff anymore. Thanks for the heads up instead of just locking the thread!
You could probably just put that stuff in the description of your stream below it, right?

Looks like a rat. I work in an animal research facility (don't hate me) and I see a lot of rat neonates. Too big for a mouse. Keep that milk spot up and keep it warm and you'll have a nice pet. Rats are cool, mice are assholes