[THREADMARKS DEMO] I found a baby...something (rat?). Help!

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector
OP could be making bank if he'd set up a GoFundMe for Powerhouse, lol. Seriously, people would jump at the chance to help raise the little guy/girl.
Hahaha well the only place I'd be able to post that is my twitch and that already has paypal on it. That said, gofundme would provide visibility so people wouldn't feel like I'm not getting anything.

That said if I do I'll wait at least until I know the species, I'd feel too guilty accepting money for supplies if it turns out to be something I can't keep.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector
Definitely not trying to rain on anyone's parade but just emphasizing that deer mouse is an educated guess. It seems increasingly likely but it's not a hundred percent certain yet so there's still time for a twist.

shiba5

I shed
Is this okay though? Mixing wild mice with store bought ones?
One of the baby Deer mice I raised and then released came back (guess I didn't take them far enough away) and since it was late fall by then, I let her stay. I had her with a female domesticated mouse and they snuggled up together and got along great. They looked completely different with the Deer mouse having gigantic eyes.

Funyarinpa

Self-Requested Ban
oh my god deer mice are gorgeous

powerhouse is beautiful

One of the baby Deer mice I raised and then released came back (guess I didn't take them far enough away) and since it was late fall by then, I let her stay. I had her with a female domesticated mouse and they snuggled up together and got along great. They looked completely different with the Deer mouse having gigantic eyes.
the mouse came back to you?

shiba5

I shed
oh my god deer mice are gorgeous

powerhouse is beautiful

the mouse came back to you?

Yeah, so I accidentally got mice in my house because I brought a bunch of horse blankets inside and they were apparently nesting in one. I was playing Overwatch one night and heard something up in the ceiling - which freaked me out. Then one ran across the floor right in front of me. I caught several and released them and then I caught the last one which happened to be a pregnant mom. She had 5 pinkies in the trap so I got them cage to stay in until they were big enough and then I released them too. Thing is, they have to go like 2 miles away or they can make their way back - and one did anyway. I heard her up in the ceiling and put the trap out and caught her that night. "Peanut" was a Deer mouse and really cute.

We still don't know what Powerhouse is, so getting a rat sibling for what might turn out to be a squirrel doesn't sound like the best of ideas. It's a bit sad, but the other outcome for him was death, so he'll have to make due.
It doesnt matter. Worst enemies can grow up best buddies when they have been raised as siblings.

Nah a lot of rodents (especially wild ones and older rescue pets) actually suffer more if introduced to other strangers.
Later in life, yes, but this early they dont even realize they are being introduced.

Yeah. Little kids have blankets, but infants do not. If you look at like <6 month old babies, they're not actually supposed to have anything in their crib, blanket included. Same principle!
Actually, blankets and cuddle toys are ok as long as supervised even for infants. You simply shouldnt leave them alone with it unsupervised and/or during sleep.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector
It doesnt matter. Worst enemies can grow up best buddies when they have been raised as siblings.

Later in life, yes, but this early they dont even realize they are being introduced.

Actually, blankets and cuddle toys are ok as long as supervised even for infants. You simply shouldnt leave them alone with it unsupervised and/or during sleep.

Ahh alright, my bad

So it’s safe for powerhouse to have a teddy now?
Teddys are usually made of polyester, that’d be bad for the tiny thing if eaten later (it will develop a bond). Also heat pad. I’d go for a cattoy sisal style something.

A soft sisal cattoy that weights almost nothing, for example.

Only when op is supervising obviously. Not too big, just as small as possible. With no extra filling as in artificial stuffing.

Yeah, so I accidentally got mice in my house because I brought a bunch of horse blankets inside and they were apparently nesting in one. I was playing Overwatch one night and heard something up in the ceiling - which freaked me out. Then one ran across the floor right in front of me.
I was actually in your party when this happened!

shiba5

I shed
I was actually in your party when this happened!
OMG, I was wondering if anyone would remember that! "The Thing in the Ceiling." Remember we named the first mouse (because I thought there was only one at the time) Reapfield?
I think I caught 4 more after that one and then the mom and pinkies.
Haven't seen anymore since then thankfully. They were getting into my bag of birdseed and hiding it in my boots.