Tom Hardy: 'My favourite 40 minutes of Venom were cut from the film'

There's a single review up on Letterboxd:

"Venom is an outright disaster on so many levels.

Let's start where it counts, plot. This film features a barebones plot which is exacerbated by weird tonal shifts, inconsistencies, and padding. From start to finish this film is a waste of time.

Tom Hardy for once is doing a Logan Marshall Green impression; as it's hard to tell this performance apart from Green's in Upgrade.

What saves this film is the action, which is poorly shot as to save money on CGI; but when you can make out the action it is decent. Although I wasn't invested in anything about this film so it all largely fell flat.

This film is a waste of it's film's talent and of the audience's time. There's teases for the sequel but you couldn't pay me to go see it. Let's just hope that Marvel Studios can do something more interesting with the character."

This is gonna make some people angry.

I’m seeing it whether it’s the worst movie ever or actually decent. I saw Fantastic Four in theaters and saw Ghost Rider 2 so I think I can take this.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there's more people rooting for this movie than I thought. Makes me think if the rottentomatoes rating turns out like BvS, we might actually have some fun like the last time.

Me, my responses to the stuff shown so far has ranged from 'not terrible' to 'kinda bad', so I'm not optimistic. It gets worse if I add Sony's previous track record into consideration, and now this - how Hardy is doing something opposite of promoting the movie.

It might be if the human CG wasn't so distracting and unnecessary.
I honestly disagree, it pretty well put together shot. Maybe i'm not seeing what your seeing with this scene.

Now there's some crappy shots in the trailer for sure, but i don't think that scene in particular is one of them.

Funniest part of that second Q+A is him saying he would want to watch a seven hour version of the movie and that he wants to make a sequel.

Edit: Wait didn't we already have a singing and dancing venom?

Sony Pictures, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why Sony is the worst hell on earth... Hope. Every actor who has ventured here over the centuries has looked up to the Columbia logo light and imagined climbing to freedom. So easy... So simple... And like greedy actors turning to comic book franchises from an uncontrollable thirst for money, many have bombed trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize the Marvel brand, I will feed its fans hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can have good films outside the MCU so that you can watch them clamoring over each other to "stay in the positive Tomato score." You can watch me torture an entire franchise and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, we will fulfill Avi Arad's destiny... We will destroy Marvel and then, when it is done and Marvel is ashes, then you have my permission to die.

Last edited:
Sony Pictures, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why Sony is the worst hell on earth... Hope. Every actor who has ventured here over the centuries has looked up to the Columbia logo light and imagined climbing to freedom. So easy... So simple... And like greedy actors turning to comic book franchises from an uncontrollable thirst for money, many have bombed trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize the Marvel brand, I will feed its fans hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can have good films outside the MCU so that you can watch them clamoring over each other to "stay in the positive Tomato scrore." You can watch me torture an entire franchise and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, we will fulfill Avi Arad's destiny... We will destroy Marvel and then, when it is done and Marvel is ashes, then you have my permission to die.
Bravo.